HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:15 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,345 Posts
Aros -

I know you can't speak for them and the translation is tricky but I don't see the present design as being improved enough by just a material change. They way the blade pulls forward during high output, it will still try to snap the hub off at the top screw followed by breakiing off the blade where the bottom one goes through. Same situation. The possible contact with the screws against the dummy motor may have aggravated the flaw but it is not the cause. It simply helped bring it to light, imo.

I've seen some reports here on RCG of the 1400 hubs of similar design developing cracks and needing replacement. Don't know the particulars but it's apparently weak there too.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 10, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Apr 2005
74 Posts
Two reasons Aros, your positive comments about this airplane and about FMS as a customer driven company that wants to address the problem and do what's right. Couple that with the fact that they provide their full contact information to include e-mail address and phone numbers in their website, and that inspired me to contact them directly. Furthermore, since via your communications they were already aware of the problem I figured they would be interested in hearing from a "real" customer with a potential similar problem and perhaps expedite things. Just food for thought, when there's a problem/recall on a consumer product, say cars, you get a letter directly from the manufacturer, not the dealer where you bought it from!
orvel is offline Find More Posts by orvel
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Aros -

I know you can't speak for them and the translation is tricky but I don't see the present design as being improved enough by just a material change. They way the blade pulls forward during high output, it will still try to snap the hub off at the top screw followed by breakiing off the blade where the bottom one goes through. Same situation. The possible contact with the screws against the dummy motor may have aggravated the flaw but it is not the cause. It simply helped bring it to light, imo.

I've seen some reports here on RCG of the 1400 hubs of similar design developing cracks and needing replacement. Don't know the particulars but it's apparently weak there too.
You are correct there Jack!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:35 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
You are correct there Jack!
Any links that you can give? Thanks
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:49 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvel View Post
Two reasons Aros, your positive comments about this airplane and about FMS as a customer driven company that wants to address the problem and do what's right. Couple that with the fact that they provide their full contact information to include e-mail address and phone numbers in their website, and that inspired me to contact them directly. Furthermore, since via your communications they were already aware of the problem I figured they would be interested in hearing from a "real" customer with a potential similar problem and perhaps expedite things. Just food for thought, when there's a problem/recall on a consumer product, say cars, you get a letter directly from the manufacturer, not the dealer where you bought it from!
When lawsuits are involved (talking Millions) thats whats expected and sent out, a "letter" from the manufacture telling you about a recall such as Toyota just sent us a few mo. back. This however isnt the same, sorry to tell ya...I feel your pain. I know something can happen and damage property or what not, but this is a hobby you fly at your risk knowing that something may fail, be it esc, battery, servo, etc. You hope that nothing does and in this case FMS has stepped up where other would turn a cold shoulder. The issue was just found out and not many ppl are flying this plane yet for a few reasons and they have taking steps to resolve it. Dont take it personal I know as a customer ALSO (not this paticular plane) that they didnt respond to me and sent an email to rc-castle and he resolved the problem by sending me a replacement part. Thats the route that may get you a faster response, such as you did with the wing.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Last edited by v8truckin; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:00 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
Any links that you can give? Thanks
Sorry, no links, just recalling from casual mention over time. RCG does have the feature however, that you can click on the attachment logo (paperclip) on a thread and look through the thumbnails for a point of interest, in this case hubs and props, then expand by clicking on 'post' to find the text for the images. Maybe something outright is there.

There has been a post about this on this thread however just a few mentions back. Try posts #1144 and 1146 just in this thread.
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 10, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,249 Posts
I agree gnats, this isn't a one dimensional fix. I've supplied them with all the pertinent info discussed here to help in other areas so all I can do is hope they do the right thing and make the full house upgrade not just a quick fix which isn't a fix.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2010
3,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I agree gnats, this isn't a one dimensional fix. I've supplied them with all the pertinent info discussed here to help in other areas so all I can do is hope they do the right thing and make the full house upgrade not just a quick fix which isn't a fix.
FMS has definitely shown that they are trying to get their quality and customer support up to 'western' standards. They have to be given the opportunity to work through the process by making and fixing how they do things.

Responding to customers or using vendors to deal with issues is an internal process/ business devision they must define and refine.

For now they are pretty impressive and if they can sustain the momentum they will eventually give the more established producers a run for their money...

I have always been a bleeding edge r&d type where using, breakng, reporting on and refinng new products has been a significant part of my career. Feedbacknis key to success.
Dangaras is online now Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:42 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,249 Posts
I do know that they want to model themselves after Horizon Hobby. They have stated that they look up to them as the cream of the crop in the hobby.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, no links, just recalling from casual mention over time. RCG does have the feature however, that you can click on the attachment logo (paperclip) on a thread and look through the thumbnails for a point of interest, in this case hubs and props, then expand by clicking on 'post' to find the text for the images. Maybe something outright is there.

There has been a post about this on this thread however just a few mentions back. Try posts #1144 and 1146 just in this thread.
The reason I am asking is that I have been playing with those FMS 1400mm hubs and blades quite a bit making custom 5 and 3 blade props but using 2-56 machine screws with locking nuts instead of the stock self threading screws.
I have not encountered any issues and am actually quite impressed by their strenght.
I have crashed a Bf109 with a 3 blade made with 1400 Corsair blades mounted on a 1400 Spitfire base plate. It cracked the based plate but did not break the blades and none went flying.
I have crashed a P47 with the stock 4b prop under full power. All four blades sheared off at the hub, but the hub was ok and re-usable.
The blades on the later P51's are so flimsy that everyone is complaining that they break even on a slow speed taxi nose over. But I never heard of them breaking off in flight or in static testing.
None of this is relevant to the very real 1700mm Corsair issue being discussed here, but IMHO there is no basis of information available to justify creating a panic among the FMS 1400mm pilots.
My 2c...
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galand View Post
The reason I am asking is that I have been playing with those FMS 1400mm hubs and blades quite a bit making custom 5 and 3 blade props but using 2-56 machine screws with locking nuts instead of the stock self threading screws.
I have not encountered any issues and am actually quite impressed by their strenght.
I have crashed a Bf109 with a 3 blade made with 1400 Corsair blades mounted on a 1400 Spitfire base plate. It cracked the based plate but did not break the blades and none went flying.
I have crashed a P47 with the stock 4b prop under full power. All four blades sheared off at the hub, but the hub was ok and re-usable.
The blades on the later P51's are so flimsy that everyone is complaining that they break even on a slow speed taxi nose over. But I never heard of them breaking off in flight or in static testing.
None of this is relevant to the very real 1700mm Corsair issue being discussed here, but IMHO there is no basis of information available to justify creating a panic among the FMS 1400mm pilots.
My 2c...
It's worthwhile to see your report and meaningful that as an experimenter you can hold up an example. Some comments about issues others have had with 1400mm aircraft was already on the thread. To me, the readers are responsible for their reactions to what's written and to have the discernment to sift the information. That's why I used the word "apparently" to show my very casual association with the problems on those planes.

As for "panic", something along the lines of grievances from 1400mm users showing up over similar disappointments is likely to pop up and already has without my coaxing.
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 10, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Apr 2005
74 Posts
Response from FMS!

Well I guess I needed to be a bit more patient, FMS got back to me and needless to say I'm very pleased with their response. This company keeps this up they're going to go far in this hobby!

Hello Orie,

Sorry for our late reply.

The crash is caused by hub spinner, it is not strong enough, but we have redesigned the Hub and sent the drawing to moulding factory already, we have to wait about at least 1 week to get the new Hub but we will push them to speed up to finish it. We are so sorry for this issue and we will send rc-castle the newest spinner once it is ready, then rc-castle will send you the new spinner.

Sorry for all the inconveniences caused by this problem, hope could get your kindly understanding.

Best regards,

Yolanda
orvel is offline Find More Posts by orvel
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvel View Post
Well I guess I needed to be a bit more patient, FMS got back to me and needless to say I'm very pleased with their response. This company keeps this up they're going to go far in this hobby!

Hello Orie,

Sorry for our late reply.

The crash is caused by hub spinner, it is not strong enough, but we have redesigned the Hub and sent the drawing to moulding factory already, we have to wait about at least 1 week to get the new Hub but we will push them to speed up to finish it. We are so sorry for this issue and we will send rc-castle the newest spinner once it is ready, then rc-castle will send you the new spinner.

Sorry for all the inconveniences caused by this problem, hope could get your kindly understanding.

Best regards,

Yolanda
Good to hear!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,249 Posts
What's the best do-it-yourself method for moving the hub forward a couple MM's from the cowl? Assuming FMS won't have that part fixed in time for my replacement version? I'm going to need to do it to my 1700 P-47 as well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,329 Posts
I would say 2-3mm of washers sandwiched between the 2 motors mounts. Think BM added washers also. Or 2mm ply traced and cut to match the motor mounts and sandwhiched between em. Sure there's other options but that's what I would do.