HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:52 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Ya i see how close they are to the cowl, If the motor isnt secured in the mount properly or any prop imbalance will cause contact. However its still too close for comfort
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:54 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
886 Posts
Notice when you taxi out to take off. Doesn't it sound a little weird like the engine oscillating or rubbing a bit? I think right there is when you first hear it.
godofthunder77 is online now Find More Posts by godofthunder77
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:55 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
886 Posts
maybe it's just me but it sounds different
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:56 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder77 View Post
Notice when you taxi out to take off. Doesn't it sound a little weird like the engine oscillating or rubbing a bit? I think right there is when you first hear it.
Does sound odd?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
886 Posts
buying these airplane seems to require a little homework.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
963 Posts
Are you sure there wasn't a AAA battery out there? Wow, truly spectacular! Glad it is repairable.

What was the engine size? What will be your new one?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder77 View Post
buying these airplane seems to require a little homework.
Yup! Also i know these planes can be put together in a few hrs, but you often notice lil things that you wouldnt normally if its done over the coarse of a wk or so. I often get anxious to get my planes up in the air but have taught myself the patience to slowly build my planes and give a few once overs as the build approaches completion.

Aros I dont blame you for wanting to get her up and fly her lots of ppl were wanting to see her. Hopefully FMS takes your word or someone comes up with a mod to get those props away from the cowl. Man shes a beauty!
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:12 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
886 Posts
I have learned Patience through the force..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:13 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
886 Posts
Hurrying just gets me in trouble.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:16 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
I think FMS needs some more clearance between the props and the cowl. They don't even need to go crazy, just an extra millimeter or whatever. v8, you're right, I did rush the build. I wanted to get her in the air and I should take more than 4 hours to do so. Still, the prop issue is now a problem since I have two 1700 FMS planes that are grounded due to the same issue.

The Mustang doesn't suffer this fate because the cowl/spinner setup is completely different.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I think FMS needs some more clearance between the props and the cowl. They don't even need to go crazy, just an extra millimeter or whatever. v8, you're right, I did rush the build. I wanted to get her in the air and I should take more than 4 hours to do so. Still, the prop issue is now a problem since I have two 1700 FMS planes that are grounded due to the same issue.

The Mustang doesn't suffer this fate because the cowl/spinner setup is completely different.
Im sure they will listen to your msg. I just hope this doesnt puch a release back past xmas. Ive been dying for this plane. Dont let this get you down man! If there was a beer icon id offer you one, but have some popcorn
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:23 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Wine works wonders.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:24 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,656 Posts
Todd look at your previous after crach photos and I noticed that it seems like the prop strikes are in the same area....right at the top of the cowl where the molded cooler is sticking out....same on the corsair and the P-47....plus you san see the prop rubb marks on the outer lip of the cowl (on both of your planes)

Even thought I've temporarily grounded my P-47 fro now because if this and the possibility it will happen here...your'e right there needs to be a little more prop clearence between the prop and cowl pieces to keep thing together and safe....

I'm now going to shim the motor further forward on the P-47 to give it a bit more gap
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:25 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Hey Aros, I'm glad I was able to video that flight of your Corsair, if we weren't recording it, we may not have discovered the reason behind the crash. Now we have the video proof of the flaw in the design.

Hope you get another one, would love to make a video of a perfect flight with it.

And as I said at the field, your making it hard for me to get that big BananaHobby A-10, after looking at the Corsair, I want one!
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:28 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Hey Aros, I'm glad I was able to video that flight of your Corsair, if we weren't recording it, we may not have discovered the reason behind the crash. Now we have the video proof of the flaw in the design.

Hope you get another one, would love to make a video of a perfect flight with it.

And as I said at the field, your making it hard for me to get that big BananaHobby A-10, after looking at the Corsair, I want one!
Me to brother...Thank you for taking the footage. It will go a long way in helping make sure newer versions will be safer which at the end of the day is all that matters.

As for your A-10...My trigger finger is getting awfully happy...
RCG Plus Member