HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2012, 05:45 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Nice vid. I didn't realise how smooth the plane actually is (panels etc)
Yes!!! Excellent observation. Great lengths have gone into making the skin as smooth as possible in terms of fit and finish for high performance aircraft over the last 100 years. (the fit and finish is an important part of their performance) ...Only to have many ARF foam model airplanes over do the panel lines by gross exceedence in recent years!! Less is more in many ways.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:46 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
As I anxiously await for my V2 1700 Corsair to arrive in the mail, I have been pondering the Top Flite or Hangar 9 versions of the Corsair. I would have to have my friend build it for me but looking at the new Gold Edition giant Top Flite F4U Corsair, I can't help but notice the flap lines look thin. Since the flaps are one of my favorite visual features (besides the gull wing) on this bird, I can't get over it.

What do you guys think? Should I look past the thin-looking flaps for what would otherwise be a fantastic Corsair?

Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Any of you who know me on RC Groups know that I constantly talk about how I'm not a builder. My mod skills are limited to foamie/ARF/PNP levels. Even then, I manage to screw up almost any menial task. Fixes become patchwork nonsense to the point of comedic tragedy. My lack of tools and patience creates the perfect storm of profanity-laced tirades coming from my garage, epoxy and CA everywhere and the occasional fitting a square peg in a round hole and calling it good.

I don't know if any of you watch the FX show "Louie" which is a sitcom loosely based on the life of the comedian Louie CK but the intro of the season finale had me in tears laughing so hard. My wife, who was also laughing, asked me why I was laughing so hard.

I looked at her in between laughing hysterically and said, "Oh my God! This is ME in my garage with my RC planes over the past 8 years!"

Somehow, the writers had captured a glimpse in the life of Aros "Trying To Fix His RC Planes" in a nut-shell.

Enjoy my madness at my expense. I know I sure did.

Doll scene from episode 313 of LOUIE (3 min 45 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:19 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,244 Posts
That was funny as hell! Might have to catch that show now.
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:46 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
As I anxiously await for my V2 1700 Corsair to arrive in the mail, I have been pondering the Top Flite or Hangar 9 versions of the Corsair. I would have to have my friend build it for me but looking at the new Gold Edition giant Top Flite F4U Corsair, I can't help but notice the flap lines look thin. Since the flaps are one of my favorite visual features (besides the gull wing) on this bird, I can't get over it.

What do you guys think? Should I look past the thin-looking flaps for what would otherwise be a fantastic Corsair?

The Topflite is good looking, small or large version. However, these balsa beasties give you one chance. Remember the incidents you had with the LX or the new FMS 1700? The TF would be back in kit form, no 2nd chance.

The price gets up there by the time you add all the electronics and LG.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:18 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,187 Posts
Quote:
IMHO, yes. BTW, PM sent.

You are on the right track with that V2 FMS Corsair. Just wait a little while.

Patience is a virtue that is paid huge dividends, specially in RC.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:02 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Good points...Do you guys see what I am seeing with the flaps?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Todd I have the TF corsair and it's a great flyer....but it is a major building project and time comsumeing....especially in the gull wing area and monokoteing it. Wait for the fms to come out...and be patient
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:12 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,313 Posts
Good to know. I am not thinking of replacing the FMS with the TF, for the record. Obviously two different beasts, one being light-wing-loading foam and the other not-so-light wing-loading composite. I owned the Hangar 9 Corsair so I know the difference and what I would be in for.

I'm just thinking I might love a composite Corsair again and TF has my attention. My FMS would be the hyper-scale looking Corsair (from a few feet away) while the TF would be more straight forward but solid and higher-end in general.

I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't have a friend capable of doing the build for me.

Brandon do you have any video of it?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:50 PM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
No...sorry I dont
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
233 Posts
Quote:
Good to know. I am not thinking of replacing the FMS with the TF, for the record. Obviously two different beasts, one being light-wing-loading foam and the other not-so-light wing-loading composite. I owned the Hangar 9 Corsair so I know the difference and what I would be in for.

I'm just thinking I might love a composite Corsair again and TF has my attention. My FMS would be the hyper-scale looking Corsair (from a few feet away) while the TF would be more straight forward but solid and higher-end in general.

I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't have a friend capable of doing the build for me. I have both types and each has its place.

Brandon do you have any video of it?
TF ARF,s are very well thought out, proven designs, fairly easy builds with modest level of skills and are great flyers. The manuals are very well thought out and cover every thing need to successfully complete and fly. The price is well above the foam arfs when completed but you will have a plane that will last for years and is rebuildable if damaged.
The builders expertise comes into play when we start doing our own thing so to speak
dmyers0403 is offline Find More Posts by dmyers0403
Last edited by dmyers0403; Oct 02, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:05 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,468 Posts
The flaps do look a little small to me. But it depends more on what they look like when down.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
On the TF ARF they have put the flaps in an easy line along the Aileron hinge line, on the gold edition build up kit version (which is what I have and have built) they are not this way and are set in deeper into the wing and in thier scale location and have larger surface are making them more pronounced and they are fowler type retracting slightly in to the wing. This is also one reason the wing is tedious and time consumeing assembling in order to build it correctly...but it's worth it.

Here are a few pictures of mine... hard to see the scale flap location though...sorry, this is the gold edition 60-90 size...I have an ASp 91 Red head 2 cycle in in these pictures and it has Century Jet models pnuematic retract converted to Hydraulic... fitting retracts for this bird was tediuos due to the semi scale wing thickness......but it's one of the best flying nitro birds I've flown next to the Bonanza
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:13 AM
United States, NC, Marion
Joined Jun 2011
761 Posts
I think Hangar 9 discontinued the .60 size Corsair
ncflyer79 is offline Find More Posts by ncflyer79
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:58 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca