Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:02 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,727 Posts
Although it's great to see how fast FMS addressed the dihedral issue, my concern is how their going to reinforce the wings on this bigger & heavier bird?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you guys with the LX Corsair have issues with the wing spar? I believe it was leweti who reported the plastic spars weren't holding up? Letsmakeadeal had some aluminum spars made up to replace the plastic ones. Did that solve the problem?

There were issues with the wings on the FMS 1400 Corsair as well. Webmaister reported one of his wings completely snapped off! I agree with his assessment, the foam above the LG bay is very thin, and because it's behind the alum. strap/spar in the LE, it's a vulnerable spot in the Corsair wings. Not to mention the stress the LG puts on the foam in that area on repeated landings (good ones and especially bad ones).

I just hope FMS has taken note, and have added some additional reinforcement in the wings of this bigger and heavier Corsair before it's second debut!

What's the general consensus on this matter?

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Hey Gary, that's a good question. I know they are developing reinforcements in the wing but I do not have any specifics. I'll let you know as soon as my V2 arrives.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Hey Gary, that's a good question. I know they are developing reinforcements in the wing but I do not have any specifics. I'll let you know as soon as my V2 arrives.
I sure hope so Todd! At this point I don't think FMS can afford another recall on this plane!

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:48 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Amen to that!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts
Hey guys...I'm not sure if any of you were wondering what is going on with this Corsair, but i've been in contact with FMS via email, and the representative i've been dealing with claims and I quote "The container containing the 1700mm F4U has already arrived at the port; we think it will be online soon, please contact bananahobby for it." She gave me specs. "Brushless motor(5060-KV300), 85A ECS (It's really an ESC lol) with 5A SBEC, 3*9g servos, 5*25g servos, 5*17g servos,18.5-22.2V 3300mAh 25C Lipoly battery, LED lights, landing gear doors, 3pcs*electronic retract, with flaps."

The next question is, who's ready to be the guinny pig?! Hahahahah

Here are some HIGH RES pics...She's pretty nice looking...
Hopefully this rep isn't blowing smoke, I guess time will tell...
jmscott31 is offline Find More Posts by jmscott31
Last edited by jmscott31; Sep 20, 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,770 Posts
Gary , Aros , you guys are talented high level modelers , I dont think a wing spar incertion or mod will keep you from enjoying these larger epo formats .
Trust me on this , the LX 79" P40 wing flexs like a paper straw, many of us spent many nights adding carbon rods , tubes ect all over the place .
It can add up in cost , but I dont think your going to get this type of design from the supplier
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Jmscott, I'm not sure who your contact is but based off the photos alone, those are the V1 photos, not V2. The easiest way to tell is that the dihedral is still flat in those photos. You may want to ask your contact to confirm this is the new V2 with the dihedral fix. Last I've heard is that the mold for the new wing is being developed but no time-table for the release.

Since I have reason to believe I would be one of the first to have the V2 and have heard nothing, I am doubtful BH has them coming into port. Not doubting you personally, but maybe the info you've been given is based off a V1 shipment, especially since your high res photos are the same ones I published from FMS many months ago and is the V1.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Pomona
Joined Mar 2008
79 Posts
Well, I have seen neither, which is why I am rather naive on the subject. I sort of figured maybe the woman didn't know what she was talking about. Was the V1 a 1700mm?
jmscott31 is offline Find More Posts by jmscott31
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:18 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Yes it was. No prob...I'll keep ya posted on V2!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,682 Posts
Maybe should have read the last few pages first
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:31 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
LOL, well there's always that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Apr 2005
74 Posts
Dihedral on FMS F4U

AROS,

First of all thank you for your diligence and follow-up with FMS on the incorrect wing dihedral issue of the 1.7M F4U. After ordering this bird from RC Castle yesterday I googled it to see if there were any reviews out there on it and lord and behold I came across this thread, which I read in its entirety, especially your comments (wish I done it if before ordering!) which were extremely useful! Anyway, the e-mails below represent my communication with Raymond from RC Castle regarding where this issue stands with me and I wanted to share with you and the RC Group community. AROS would appreciate your thoughts here, based on Raymond's comments I'm optimistic and was wondering given your closer relationship with FMS should I be?

Many thanks,

Orie

DEAR MR ORESTES,

TKS FOR YOUR NEW ORDER. ACCORDING TO YOUR E-MAIL AND INFORMATION, WE HAVE ALREADY REPORT TO FMS MODEL THEY INFORM THAT THEY WILL SEND US THE NEW VERSION MAIN WING SET OF 1.7M F4U TO US ON AROUND 24/SEPT, SO WE WIL ARRANGE AND SEND OUT ALL YOUR ORDER ITEMS ON AROUND 25 - 26/SEPT. PLS KINDLY NIOTE, TKS.

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND !

RAYMOND

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 21, 2012 11:57 AM
To: 'Raymond Fung'
Subject: RE: Order Process

Dear Raymond,

I've been reading the RC Groups.com reviews on the FMS 1.7M F4U BE and have become aware that there is a problem with the wing dihedral angle on this airplane, it is not the correct angle and therefore it doesn't look right (I've seen pictures and indeed agree it's not right and doesn't look good).
I also know that FMS is aware of this problem, they have already resolved it and will be distributing the newer versions of the airplane within the next month or so. I want to make sure that the airplane I receive from RC Castle is the newer version with the wing dihedral corrected, and I don't mind waiting until you receive new inventory. However, I would appreciate you shipping the P-51 Retract Tail Gears in the order.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Orestes Velez Jr.
orvel is offline Find More Posts by orvel
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:19 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Hi orvel -

I'm glad that you were able to find this thread to help you make an informed decision, even after the initial purchase. Raymond is one of the great distributors and will do what he says he will do for you. If he says FMS will be sending him the new version wing on 9/24 than I would have no reason to not believe that.

I haven't received word yet on the release but I knew it was soon since they said they were waiting on the factory to finish the mold. Based on Raymond's note, sounds like the wings are ready to ship.

This is exciting because I know how great the plane is otherwise. With this wing fix it will be the finest foam Corsair to ever hit the market.

Looking forward to your review!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:40 PM
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined Apr 2005
74 Posts
Dihedral on FMS F4U

Aros, thanks for your quick reply buddy, you made my day! I'm very much looking forward to receiving the F4U and hopefully I can put it together and get a flight or two in before the weather turns colder up here in the northeast. You know, I have the FMS 1.7M P-51 and it's not only a great flyer but I was impressed with the overall quality. One thing though, last time I flew it, the field was wet and evidently some water got into the tail gear and it shorted it out when I was retracting it on the bench. I was looking at the pictures you posted and the F4U really looks good, again can't wait for the Big Brown truck to arrive at my door with the big box! LOL I will indeed post a review of the maiden when that happens. BTW sorry to hear about the mishap you had with yours but also glad to hear you'll be getting a V2!

Thanks again

Orie
orvel is offline Find More Posts by orvel
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,051 Posts
Guys, doing my monthly "look" here in the FMS thread to check progress.

1) Did any initial 1700mm FMS Corsairs ever get shipped with the dihedral issue or any other issues?
2) Is the FMS 1700mm Corsair the will be sold soon essentially be a V2 version with improved dihedral or is this still just in the initial delay release process where everyone is still waiting for the initial release?
3) I assume there will be metal retracts shipped and no one is going to have to replace the retracts with Eflite or other aftermarket ones?

Thanks to all.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member