HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:43 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Thanks guys for the well wishes...Huff, I was flying at my club's field...Short but bumpy grass...I might have hit a bump there when it turned violently to the left at WOT. The weight of the epoxy on the starboard wing will almost guarantee she will not fly as good as new. We shall see.
Hi Aros,

I have been lurking here following development of the Corsair. Thanks for your efforts in working with FMS and keeping us informed. Just want to let you know that the extra epoxy weight on the right wing might be a blessing in disguise.

According to an article published on Model Aviation Magazine (AMA), a little weight added to the right wing might actually alleviate the severe left turning tendency of warbirds during take off (ie. low speed, near stall, high throttle conditions). It recommends adding 2x the 2stroke equivalent size weight in ounces to the wing tip as a starting point. So if the corsair is a .60 size equivalent, then adding 1.2 oz of weight to the wing tip is desirable. And since most of your epoxy weight seems to be inboard of the mid span of right wing, to achieve the same moment, excess weight of 2.4 ~ 3 oz may be tolerable.

In short the excess weight on the right wing might pleasantly surprise you by taming the dreaded left turn on take off. Good luck on the re-maiden.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
Oh that's right! I did read that article...That could be great, but the damage is closer to the root not the wingtip. I wonder if that would make any difference?

As for the hub, I had to put in a request to FMS to please send me a spare in with my next order. The P-47 hub in fact is a match but of course that one is broken too and I'm awaiting the replacement.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
heya Todd, by chance would you have any pics of the 1700mm Corsair loaded up in your Expedition the other day?

asking because it sounded like it won't fit it the back cargo area by just sliding her in nose or tail first w/o setting it in on an angle...?

I know shes a huge plane, my largest is 1450mm which is huge for me and I need to consider size/transporting etc. when I look ahead at new planes... I have a feeling a 1700mm warbird would limit my runs to the airfield to a single 1700mm and maybe one other 1400.. series.

with that in mind, when my daughter came by the other day with her Tahoe, I got an idea'r and took my v6 Petie out to size it up and to my surprise it wouldn't go straight in the back cargo hatch. I had to cant it and turn it at about a 45* angle and it was a pretty tight fit...

I've been thinking it was time to retire my '91 GMC Suburban and get a slightly better (economical) rig then my Burb but I may miss the feature\ ability of being able to slide 1450mm ws plane straight in, actually, a couple at a time... I currently have a PVC rack I can slide two 1400mm & 1450mm birds in straight (stacked)... and can easily mod the rack to where I could get 3 nice sized birds in the back with the landing gear retracted... so the FMS v6 Petie, FMS 1400 T-28 and E-flite 1360mm Hurricane would be easily fitted into the cargo area.... but not with a Tahoe and maaaybe not with an Expedition, which was my other choice

looking forward to your remaiden

-M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
.....so I packed my gear up in the back of my Ford Expedition and gently placed the Corsair sideways with the back seats folded down and off I went ....
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,303 Posts
Sorry man, no photos of the transport...It literally just fits sideways...The tail section is angled upwards on the driver's side back window area and the nose is touching the passenger side back compartment area. If it was literally an extra inch or two, I could not fit her in sideways and would be SOL.

I can get the 1700 in with my jets but there would be no way to transport more than one 1700 at a time, no doubt about it.

A rack sounds like a great idea!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:49 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
I have to put my 1700mm P51 sideways in the bed of my Silverado while having 3 jets (Su, euro, fa18e) in the cab. It takes up the full width of the bed and about half the length but sticks out over the tailgate a lil. I could probably get another 1700mm at the back end of my pickup bed, but it'll be tight. They are big!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:06 AM
No Guts, No Glory!
USA, WA, South Hill
Joined Sep 2008
3,090 Posts
thanks for the feedback guys
HuffDaddy is online now Find More Posts by HuffDaddy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:43 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,592 Posts
The other thing that will help to reduce the severe left turn on takeoff is to not use WOT.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:28 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,774 Posts
Does anyone know if these:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2265

are 'corsair' (rotating) ones? Because they look more like the P51/P47 ones...
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:38 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,446 Posts
They are, Corsair ones would have to rotate.
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:12 AM
MYC
Inconceivable!
USA, NY, Smithtown
Joined Jan 2005
1,942 Posts
Those dont say that they are for the corsair and the pix is certainly of the 51/47 gear. Even if FMS uses the same actuator on all three the corsair gear would have to have the rotating mechanism/linkages there. Go back to Aros' pic of his gear and you will see what I mean.
MYC is offline Find More Posts by MYC
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:21 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,774 Posts
Thanks guys. That's what I thought.
Will have to wait....
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Does anyone know if these:
http://rc-castle.com/shop/product_in...oducts_id=2265

are 'corsair' (rotating) ones? Because they look more like the P51/P47 ones...
Dave, those are the new 716's for the P-51 and they don't rotate. Because the 1700 Corsair hasn't hit the shelves yet, I doubt the rotaters will be available until then?

I posted a couple of vids on my "Utility" pg. showing them in comparison with the 514's and the E-Flite 60-120's if you want to see them in action.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
Dave, those are the new 716's for the P-51 and they don't rotate. Because the 1700 Corsair hasn't hit the shelves yet, I doubt the rotaters will be available until then?

I posted a couple of vids on my "Utility" pg. showing them in comparison with the 514's and the E-Flite 60-120's if you want to see them in action.

Gary
Crystal clear Gary!! Thanks!
I am kindof waiting for the corsair retracts, as they might me a nice alternative for the eflites that I would need for my H9 corsair.
Also, I killed one of the eflites in my FMS 1400 corsair.... so now I am grounded with my all time favourite plane....
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Crystal clear Gary!! Thanks!
I am kindof waiting for the corsair retracts, as they might me a nice alternative for the eflites that I would need for my H9 corsair.
Also, I killed one of the eflites in my FMS 1400 corsair.... so now I am grounded with my all time favourite plane....
Did you try sending in your retract to horizon service? I had a retract 60-120 metal retract worm gear buckle when it got caught on the gear door. Didn't go into over protection. I bought a spare to replace it while I sent it into service. They received it on Friday (of last week) and sent me out a replacement yesterday (Monday) no questions asked, 1 day turn around!!! At the very most I was expecting to pay a $30-40 for a fix and I would have a spare, but horizon once again did what they do best and kept me the customer happy. That's why I keep going back to them. I've got pz-v2 headed my way,but you can expect this kind of service on retracts from anyone else who can supply retracts for this plane. Bar none!
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,774 Posts
I sent it in and sort of expect them to replace the retract alright. And thats nice. But it still means I have no retract now.
Could buy a replacement, but before I have that one in my hands, it will be at least a week. Which means i'll be buying a retract for 1 week of use.
I am considering buying a spare set of them... but they're expensive! I'd rather buy something a little less expensive for that purpose.