HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
I'll see what they have to say about it. I'm perplexed.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:00 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Remember what I told you a while back....this is only the beginning....of what is coming.
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
Team 3DHS
USA, OH, Macedonia
Joined Jul 2009
3,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Please tell us details. I'll mention it on the show.
djmoose is online now Find More Posts by djmoose
Old Jul 18, 2012, 08:55 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,178 Posts
Ahhhh, that will drive sales!
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,800 Posts
Come on guys it’s not a secret plan to take over the world, I deal with this all the time, and it’s simple.
Let say my company in the USA is called LDM.
1) I import planes from China and I am required to import an MOQ=minimum order quantity
2) In order for me to take this risk on MOQ or quarterly and or annual performance numbers I must be protected by being given exclusive sales territories so I can sell the inventory that I am committing too.
3) If I don’t have an exclusive arrangement I would be weary of taking or meeting the demands and would negotiate or walk from the deal.
4) In theory I would venture that (in this case) after Nitro RC lost the deal, BH picked it up and did not see the opportunity for pirates (not contractual) importers that cross the export lines intentionally.
5) Once discovered and estimated in units a case can be made by the importer with the exclusive agreement.
6)LX is known for really protecting its distributors , so as an example KMP carries the big LX P40 in Canada , but if you ask him in a public forum he will tell you he can not ship to the USA and he does and its discovered he stands to lose his exclusive Canadian territory .
It’s that simple
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:49 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
I don't see how that is possible. BH is a U.S company and would have no say over what a distributor in Hong Kong can or can't do. Especially since PW-RC and RC-Castle sell more stock around the world (FMS stuff anyway) than BH does.
I really hope you're right. I've always dealt with Philip for my spare parts and his service is always impeccable and he's always quick to respond to emails with any questions. If BH has monopoly over FMS products they will lose my business.
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:06 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,800 Posts
"don't see how that is possible. BH is a U.S company and would have no say over what a distributor in Hong Kong can or can't do. Especially since PW-RC and RC-Castle sell more stock around the world (FMS stuff anyway) than BH does."

Total assumption , dont know there volume so it may be very possible
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,579 Posts
Ldm's assessment of the situation may be accurate..

Territory protection agreements are a reality and my experience starts in the early '60s with the motorcycle business in which sellers of the same brand in proximity to one another would have rights to a certain territory, usually arrived at by some population density surveys. To say that the lines got blurred occsionally would be an understatement. Sometimes, to get around sales taxes, etc., buyers would drive hundreds of miles to another state to get a better "deal", then bring the machine into the local dealer for servicing. A great chagrin for the local dealer to have to honor the service request.

It's a lamentable situation when options are closed off as this situation suggests. I have good respect for PW-RC and it's truly sad if he's no longer allowed to sell to U.S. customers. By the same token, if FMS and Banana Hobby have set up an 'exclusive', they alone will be in a position to shoulder the responsibility of better service and parts availability for the U.S.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Jul 19, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,308 Posts
Well, I've heard that FMS will be supporting BH for much better part support of their product than what we've seen in the past. As much as I hate to see Philip and Ray fall to the wayside for US consumers, the main beef with BH has always been their lack of good quality CS and available spare parts. The former is largely avoided as we know FMS product is better than most of the "other" manufactured planes they supply and the latter may improve exponentially with FMS motivated to keep them well stocked with spare parts and inventory.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
Gorilla Glue Expert
United States, PA, Doylestown
Joined Sep 2010
2,667 Posts
Let's hope that FMS will have the muscle to make Banana's service step up; it is, in my experience, their single continuing failure. Getting a product from them hasn't - so far - proven to be troublesome. And as long as they actually have the parts, getting them hasn't been a big deal.

But you better not have any questions, or issues with what was delivered. This is where BH is an utter, absolute failure. Package delivered with damaged goods inside? - good luck getting any help from them. Got a question about something? - you will likely wait 3 or 4 weeks for an answer, if you get any response at all.
PikeStaff is online now Find More Posts by PikeStaff
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:23 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
569 Posts
Well, Philip has confirmed to me that he will no longer be stocking FMS planes, except for a very limited number of V7 1400mm P51s, that sucks, looks like no more FMS planes for me.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old Jul 19, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
My biggest complaint when ordering parts from BH is that they charge shipping for each piece you order, instead of the total package size or weight. I ordered 3 pieces a while back for a total of $20. The shipping was $34. I cancelled the order and haven't ordered since, so this might have changed, but if they haven't, they need to. I asked them if they never heard of " IF IT FITS, IT SHIPS" from USPS.
warbirdfan2 is online now Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:26 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,579 Posts
warbird -

How long ago was that?

Reports like yours are what would keep me from ordering also. Their credibility has been so eroded by mishandling of things like this.

Another facet of "exclusives" (if they indeed have an arrangement like that with FMS) is that they are groomed and somewhat monitored by the factory/distributor to not give the brand a bad name by gouging and pricing out of hand. The factory sets the retail price on parts and arbitrary increases are a no-no.

It bothers me that this pending arrangement is born out of greed. I'm glad there are other suppliers with other brands but this is feeling more and more negative for the consumer considering the swell of influence BH has gotten over several brands.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Jul 19, 2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
I would say last fall, Sept -Oct. It has been a while.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
Remember what I told you a while back....this is only the beginning....of what is coming.
Care to expand on this???