HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:23 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
I noticed in my new Red Tail that they have upgraded the firewall. It's not just a plastic plate, it's much more involved. The Corsair needs the same treatment. Dang, now I'm afraid to fly mine.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
So many A/C So little money
USA, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Nov 2009
181 Posts
Brand X you are right, I did state that I would not expect this prop to survive a tree strike or the ground or any other brand for that matter.

gnats 82 asked for pictures of the blades so I went dumpster diving this morning Yum well I found them and here are the pics.
krashem is offline Find More Posts by krashem
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I noticed in my new Red Tail that they have upgraded the firewall. It's not just a plastic plate, it's much more involved. The Corsair needs the same treatment. Dang, now I'm afraid to fly mine.
when did you get your Red Tails P51? I got mine in May 2012, and its the same as the one in the F4U.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:34 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,722 Posts
Krashem -

Pretty good evidence there of a heavy strike or two. With the inertia of these heavy blades ( they must weigh in the area of 1.4 ozs. ea.), one good hit would slow the rotation speed quickly and perhaps snap the others off, without even hitting anything if there were internal flaws. In fairness, it's likely the trip through the tree tore them off, one way or another and they didn't just fly apart.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Krashem -

Pretty good evidence there of a heavy strike or two. With the inertia of these heavy blades ( they must weigh in the area of 1.4 ozs. ea.), one good hit would slow the rotation speed quickly and perhaps snap the others off, without even hitting anything if there were internal flaws. In fairness, it's likely the trip through the tree tore them off, one way or another and they didn't just fly apart.
they range in weight from 39.871 grams to 39.651. At least the ones i had.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:37 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
when did you get your Red Tails P51? I got mine in May 2012, and its the same as the one in the F4U.
I got it last month. It's definitely different than the Corsair firewall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:40 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
591 Posts
Quote:
Guys and Gals,
On my 22nd flight on my F4U past Saturday, Firewall failure.

I was in the air, after 2 minutes i heard an odd sound coming from the plane. i landed it safely and checked it out. Wasn't able to duplicate the sound, at first i thought it might have been some tape that came loose or something. Waited 1/2 an hour, put in a fresh 6s 4500ma 65c and taxi out to the runway.

Went down the runway, she tracked straight and true. As the tail lifted i heard a noise from the plane, as i was lifting off the ground the firewall failed, broke the cowling and props strikes the ground. My bird was in perfect condition prior to this, not even a scratch. i was able to save majority of the plane but the front end is messed up.

I have some video ill link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBjSF4Vz-0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTcgfTb5Uws
Very informative video. With my incident, the firewall was shattered - but was it due to a firewall failure or prop failure. I can get everything to repair mine except for the rudder. RCastle doesn't answer my emails with either a yes or no I can't get the parts. I thought he was a good guy. I decided not to buy another until all this gets sorted out. I still can fly my lx p-40 which has 45 hours on it. Of course it has a one piece carbon fiber prop.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:59 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracanary View Post
RCastle doesn't answer my emails with either a yes or no I can't get the parts. I thought he was a good guy.
They are currently on national holiday (Chinese New Year). I wouldn't take offense to any lack of communication until the holiday is over which is early March.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:08 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,211 Posts
absolutly correct , everything shuts down !
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
591 Posts
Thanks Aros. I forgot about that holiday.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
can you take a pic of your upgraded firewall?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
No prob. FMS has a few emails waiting in their inbox from me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:12 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,346 Posts
Quote:
can you take a pic of your upgraded firewall?
I can but it's really hard to really see much...The front is a normal flat firewall but it has depth and goes back about 4 or 5 inches...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,124 Posts
The problem I find with the firewall on FMS and Starmax is instead of glueing the firewall in they just sandwich the firewall between the 2 halfs,. Thats fine but after vibrations and nose overs the channel the firewall sits in gets wider and then gets loose. They need to glue the firewall to the sides of the fuse
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,124 Posts
P38 & Corsair training. January 2013 (7 min 12 sec)
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis