HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:03 AM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,897 Posts
ya , Op work is excellant , exactly what I want to do to mine but I want a working sliding canopy , its next on my board , I just finished my Pica Dora , i am up to 7 planes ready to fly and my new rule is dont open a new goodie box until I finish the one on the board .
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:01 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
That thing is beautiful! Love the cockpit!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
945 Posts
OP took the Topflite kit, but had issue with it and the quality of some parts parts. He decided to take and and then make it right. Impressive indeed!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,897 Posts
Yes , most of the stock cockpits are so far off its incredible .
DB Balsa sells interior kits at $75 and up and I am amazed at the cost because the details are so poor and non scale .
In the good old days ( 5 years ago ) Luke Zolner was making the most scale interior kits ever . I had the corsair and have the Hellcat (being assembled now) for $25 it was the best deal ever in RC . YOu can still google them to see how great they were .
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:05 PM
Name brands compare me...Why?
United States, NJ
Joined Feb 2012
369 Posts
I believe my biggest disappointment with this plane was the lack of detail in the cockpit...after the 1700 Mustang and P -47 this was pathetic. That top-flite kit was probably my worst purchase in R/C in a long time. OP made chicken salad out of chicken $__t.
BRAND X is offline Find More Posts by BRAND X
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:07 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
There's definitely a market here and money to be made if someone with the skill, time and talent wanted to make drop-in highly detailed cockpits for these 1700s.

I sure know I would be a willing and happy paying customer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:24 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,897 Posts
If I could get my vacuum forming machine made I would do it and do it cheap , and I am anal on details . I don't like wrong parts , switches that don't belong ect .
My LX P40 was for fun , my switches were too big but most of the elements belonged , I have FW190 70" and that is the most scale cockpit I have built down to leather foot straps !
I know it can be time consuming but still believe the commercial interior kits are poor quality and over priced .
I have the Giant Scale Top Flight corsair interior kit for my 75" ESM Corsair and I am still trying to figure out what the part are for lol , so many details that are totally wrong .
Most of the budget kits are either all designed around a P47 and or P40 and all look the same !!!
I am thinking parts , labor , shipping you should be able to deliver for about $30 to $35 bucks and make a small profit .
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:20 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
945 Posts
Put me on your mailing list!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:54 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Something I'm not sure I would tacle on a MFG Basis of putting them out in any quantity...This is fad that will fade shortly when the next one is released., But ya never know?

I actually have a vaccuume forming setup
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:37 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
7,897 Posts
you got that right Brandon , it would be for friends ect, I dont need the income or drama from a $30 sale but if I make one set of molds , there is no reason not to make more for people who ask , but ,,, being 100% clear , not intention of starting a business !
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:44 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Joined Mar 2009
5,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
you got that right Brandon , it would be for friends ect, I dont need the income or drama from a $30 sale but if I make one set of molds , there is no reason not to make more for people who ask , but ,,, being 100% clear , not intention of starting a business !
Yup, about the same way I have been doing these modified "Aces of Iron Pilots" for guys here on RCG for these 1700mm & 1400mm FMS birds as well as a few others it works for too. nothing big...just a little side cash. I've made about 10 of them or so, But it's fun and some thing to be proud of
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Feb 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:29 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,714 Posts
If you do get your vacuum forming machine made, I have plenty of pictures to work from, and access to the actual aircraft if need be for more.

Quote:
If I could get my vacuum forming machine made I would do it and do it cheap , and I am anal on details . I don't like wrong parts , switches that don't belong ect .
My LX P40 was for fun , my switches were too big but most of the elements belonged , I have FW190 70" and that is the most scale cockpit I have built down to leather foot straps !
I know it can be time consuming but still believe the commercial interior kits are poor quality and over priced .
I have the Giant Scale Top Flight corsair interior kit for my 75" ESM Corsair and I am still trying to figure out what the part are for lol , so many details that are totally wrong .
Most of the budget kits are either all designed around a P47 and or P40 and all look the same !!!
I am thinking parts , labor , shipping you should be able to deliver for about $30 to $35 bucks and make a small profit .
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:28 PM
So many A/C So little money
USA, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Nov 2009
164 Posts
Last landing for awhile! This is what happened on my next flight. What a tough bird! On my next flight I tried to cut a trees top off and the tree won. The plane is in good shape considering it dropped 40 ft down, it dropped flat so it could have been much worse. Condition: Fues, only thing wrong is it knocked off the rudder. Wing, 3 good size cracks but gorilla glue will fix them, a couple of flaps torn off, one gear door off and a bunch of missiles.
Eng, shaft is straight, no noticeable cracks in hub but I will not reuse it and a few missing blades. All and All not bad for a 10 lb hunk of foam dropping 40 ft
krashem is offline Find More Posts by krashem
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:31 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,495 Posts
Quote:
You can put me down for one
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:32 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
Put me on your mailing list!
Ditto!!