HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2012, 11:35 AM
Minneapolis,MN.
Joined Mar 2006
1,079 Posts
I hope they get the wing right,I mean the gull wing is the whole persona of this airplane.By the way I love the bird cage corsair you did.Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Been watching the discussion about the questionable geometry of the FMS Corsair wing and thought I'd offer this:

I scratch built this 37" span F4U-1 some years ago and did research on the wing from available drawings. The model came out looking true to me.

Because of the varying types of building, the wing's top surface will be the most crucial to the eye and my drawing might be of some help.

Hopefully, this flaw in the appearance of the FMS airplane will be something easily tweaked out, hopefully before we would get it.
bouncebk2003 is offline Find More Posts by bouncebk2003
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 11:44 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,408 Posts
Thanks gnats, if it turns out to be a real issue I will forward your drawing on to them so their engineers can adjust the mold as soon as possible.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 12:20 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncebk2003 View Post
I hope they get the wing right,I mean the gull wing is the whole persona of this airplane.By the way I love the bird cage corsair you did.Nice.
Thanks. It's a nice flying plane but a little weight hampered with a brushed system and NiMH batteries and not flown in some time.

Yup, a flaw in a Corsair wing stands out big time to me also.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old May 03, 2012, 07:44 PM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,068 Posts
I don't think the wing thing will be an issue. I almost regret mentioning it. If there is one FMS plane that needs its wing dihedral sorted out it's the Spitfire. So until that is done I think all the others planes that are mostly correct can wait
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old May 03, 2012, 07:50 PM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
I don't think the wing thing will be an issue. I almost regret mentioning it. If there is one FMS plane that needs its wing dihedral sorted out it's the Spitfire. So until that is done I think all the others planes that are mostly correct can wait
The Spitfire and the P-40. Someone would have mentioned this sooner or later as it stood out for many to look off.

FMS has apparently gotten it dialed in their other Corsairs (Durafly 1100mm, FMS 1450mm) and can fix this easily I'd think.
Last edited by gnats82; May 03, 2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 08:04 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,364 Posts
Well the 1400mm Corsair is also lacking some dihedral but seams to be a hot seller
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old May 03, 2012, 08:10 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Well the 1400mm Corsair is also lacking some dihedral but seams to be a hot seller
Smoking sales usually cause less change. Dont want to fix what aint broke.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old May 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,408 Posts
Here's my LX wing-folding Corsair taken down from the ceiling and getting ready for flying this weekend. The dihedral looks correct to me on this plane. Once I get the FMS version I will be able to compare.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
Here's my LX wing-folding Corsair taken down from the ceiling and getting ready for flying this weekend. The dihedral looks correct to me on this plane. Once I get the FMS version I will be able to compare.
It does look good,so did you get all the bugs worked out on it
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old May 03, 2012, 08:38 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,408 Posts
twiz, with this plane, she'll never have all the bugs worked out. She's like dating a supermodel. So beautiful but so many issues you rarely get a chance to take her out.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 09:04 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2011
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aros View Post
twiz, with this plane, she'll never have all the bugs worked out. She's like dating a supermodel. So beautiful but so many issues you rarely get a chance to take her out.
lmao!!!
runner2k is offline Find More Posts by runner2k
Old May 05, 2012, 06:56 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,061 Posts
Nise work Aros!!!!

As far as the dihedral goes I think it is a BIG issue. Now that the idea is out there & been talked about it will be a big detractor for a lot of people I fear.

Call it brain washing, peer pressure or what ever you want. It could very well kill sales big time.

Also from what I have learned, It won't be such an easy or should I say cheap fix. The molds will have to be retooled. if not, then a set of new of molds. Very expensive!!!
ColoradoHeliNut is online now Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old May 05, 2012, 07:25 AM
Been There, Crashed That!
Australia, WA, Geraldton
Joined Jul 2011
580 Posts
Isn't this one made the same as the Durafly one, and the dihedral is alright on that one.
Austang is offline Find More Posts by Austang
Old May 05, 2012, 08:05 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,068 Posts
yeah but it's a lot smaller. This one has different requirements for wing spars etc.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Old May 05, 2012, 08:34 AM
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Nise work Aros!!!!

As far as the dihedral goes I think it is a BIG issue. Now that the idea is out there & been talked about it will be a big detractor for a lot of people I fear.

Call it brain washing, peer pressure or what ever you want. It could very well kill sales big time.

Also from what I have learned, It won't be such an easy or should I say cheap fix. The molds will have to be retooled. if not, then a set of new of molds. Very expensive!!!
It would be good if we knew better just how the wing is made up. If the dihedral is messed up at the gull bend, that's a major retooling issue. If it's just a case of the wing center joint not being attached accurately, that would be a relatively minor issue. I wouldn't be surprised if what we're seeing was just a hasty construction of the example in the photos and they simply didn't get the wings joined correctly.