HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:10 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
That's some awfully sobering news if indeed it was a hub failure. It's hard to tell. Even if it was the root failure in the blade, it has the same end-result. Either way, FMS needs to be notified. It could be these particular stock props they are using for the 1700 Corsair. I think a new design is necessary. Personally I think they should be one-piece myself. I know that removes the "replace a blade" option but it may increase overall safety.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:22 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
That's some awfully sobering news if indeed it was a hub failure. It's hard to tell. Even if it was the root failure in the blade, it has the same end-result. Either way, FMS needs to be notified. It could be these particular stock props they are using for the 1700 Corsair. I think a new design is necessary. Personally I think they should be one-piece myself. I know that removes the "replace a blade" option but it may increase overall safety.

Aros,

What do you know about the 1700 P-47? Is it not bascially the same design -have there been failures there as well? I am hoping this is an anomally.
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:23 PM
Subsurface flying expert
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2012
189 Posts
I can't recall seeing anything nearing Aros' spectacular failure, but it is the same exact design.
FlyingGolem is offline Find More Posts by FlyingGolem
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
NOT GOOD...that's the second time that's happened, as I've been following, but it seem to be isolated to just this plane. To me, that's kind of peculiar?????

And, Yes...it and the P-47 have the same hub and prop
brandonmoon is online now Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:57 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,874 Posts
The blades and hub are not up to the job.
My guess is that now that the hub is made tougher, the weakest spot is in the base of the prop blades. The blades are inferior (brittle) quality.

I still have a scar in my face (!) from a prop accident caused by those blades.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:41 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,383 Posts
My guess too is that the weak link is in the blade root, now that the stronger hub has been designed, seems like the props need a similar redesign.
Aros is online now Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:24 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,367 Posts
That is really disappointing !
I new when I bought the LX P40 I would invest in my own upgrades , I did not expect to do so with the FMS corsair .
Considering the wings get dented from poor packing at FMS , (in essence ) you get what we would define in the USA as a "second" at full price !!
Seriuosly , I am holding onto my cash before I drop another dime on an FMS model .
They want to be #1 , then they better start acting like #1 and a One OFF !
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
This: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1169 ...and post #1195, page 80.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:05 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickyone View Post
Hi. IM new to site .ive been flying for 15mos. started with fb stratos and a micro corsair frm pz. I just bought a f4u select scale corsair with retracts and nav lights . its a 1100 series . havnt maiden her YET! First plane of this size for me. any sugg. ?
Thread for that plane here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1769940

I have one, pleased with it so far. Fresh design approach, nice size. Bought it instead of this FMS one.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:10 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,367 Posts
Gnats great post as usual, you were ahead of the time with clear thinking !! My purchase was emotionally driven over the excitement of the 1700 size , shame on me , I should have been more cautious !
As stated , I don't get full of drama and I know I can fix it on my own , but as Para knows in the LX thread a good three blade prop will run you $70 and up !!!! , 4 will be even more !
I simply did not expect it with this plane
Ldm is online now Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:16 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
My guess too is that the weak link is in the blade root, now that the stronger hub has been designed, seems like the props need a similar redesign.
I would have thought that a blade root failure would have simply led to a blade release from the hub.
I don't immediately understand why the hub broke where/how it did in the supplied photo if it were just a blade.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:42 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Gnats great post as usual, you were ahead of the time with clear thinking !! My purchase was emotionally driven over the excitement of the 1700 size , shame on me , I should have been more cautious !
As stated , I don't get full of drama and I know I can fix it on my own , but as Para knows in the LX thread a good three blade prop will run you $70 and up !!!! , 4 will be even more !
I simply did not expect it with this plane
It's really tempting on these 1700mm planes! With all the things I had to weigh making a choice, I needed to put this one aside. I guess in some part, I didn't want lose power and energy driving four blades on this -4 version.

I didn't buy it for a second that any contact at the hub was the cause of failures on these. It's something else and altogether too much to explore in a few words here but basically the blades can't tolerate a hole through them like this design uses. Along with that, firmly clamping around the outside of a flange or ridges would be a more desirable means to retain the blades, mentioned earlier here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1145
Last edited by gnats82; Feb 13, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:13 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,291 Posts
I bought one of those 4 blade fixed in the hub props from Hobbyking, 18" diam. I think its probably for their big P-47.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Propeller.html.

I might give it a whirl to see how it holds up.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangaras View Post
I bought one of those 4 blade fixed in the hub props from Hobbyking, 18" diam. I think its probably for their big P-47.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Propeller.html.

I might give it a whirl to see how it holds up.
In the comments on the H-K site for this, one person went to some trouble to actually measure it and according to him, it's just under 16" in dia., not 18".

Edit: Ldm, how does your prop from the LX P-40 look as to a match up for this Corsair? I know, 3 blades, but I've not heard of any failure reports on it.
Last edited by gnats82; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:21 PM
Joined Jan 2011
241 Posts
Don't know performance of the HK prop but 16 inches is just one inch shorter than std prop (measured mine at 17") and the price is cheap enough. May be worth a try if it fits the prop hub with hex lock
dmyers0403 is offline Find More Posts by dmyers0403