HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:48 PM
Vermilion, OH
Joined Aug 2010
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
In another episode of Aros Follies, after a great flight with a blue sky and puffy cloud backdrop, I brought her down for landing. Apparently I must have stalled her about 3 feet off the ground because she suddenly stopped flying and sank right into the dirt...One of the retracts gave way. From my vantage point I thought the retract was toast.

Turns out, just like before, the housing simply popped out. I had to give the strut a twist and it popped back into place, the oleo shock still worked, everything was fine, just the housing needed to be glued back into place.

I epoxied it back together and she's good to go.

The point being...More evidence that these stock retracts are TOUGH.
Man you better not be doing that crap with that mustang I sent you . Lol
godofthunder77 is offline Find More Posts by godofthunder77
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:00 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
LOL!! NO DOUBT! I have a bad habit of chopping the throttle if I come in high. Many times I can get away with it as these really are gentle flyers but other times, like today, it bites me in the rear. I promise you I won't be fiddling around with the Red Tail!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,874 Posts
You guys are lucky basterds for being able to fly this time of year! over here we have snow, wind, rain and cold..
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
You guys are lucky basterds for being able to fly this time of year! over here we have snow, wind, rain and cold..
I admit.....we are very fortunate
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:48 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,384 Posts
Yeah we've had a pretty mild Winter here in the Pacific Northwest. We do get our share of wind and rain though...
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:00 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,296 Posts
If you guys need some snow just let me know.. We have lots to spare..
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:14 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,957 Posts
Yah, and I'm in the next snow bank over!
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:21 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,398 Posts
ya , but that is why all the dammms good hockey players are from Canada , youve got ice !!!
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
593 Posts
Hub failure

I had a hub failure just like Aros but with the new updated hub. Heard a loud bang and lost rudder and canopy but landed without damage except for the firewall. As you can see no damage to the cowl so it was a blade / hub failure. The prop was assembled by weighing each blade on a triple beam and matching opposite sides for weight. Final balance of the prop was perfect. Made no noise in flight except for the bang. My next F4U will have the same power plant and prop as my LX P-40. Hacker 2000 watts and 18x3x10 cf prop. Weight and battery requirements are the same but I can get 2000 watts out of this setup. Pictures are on the p-40 thread if interested.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:58 PM
Cape Coral, Fl
Joined Jan 2010
1,282 Posts
Hmmm - not good news. It must have been a great save on your part. How did you get it down?
Hink64 is offline Find More Posts by Hink64
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:14 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
593 Posts
I was lucky. When the prop / hub failed, the vibration pulled out the 3 wires to the motor and which saved the plane from being destroyed from vibration. Had enough altitude for a nice approach into soft alfalfa with the gear up.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:17 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,296 Posts
Hmm. So the hub fractured! That's quite disappointing! Now I am worried....
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracanary View Post
I had a hub failure just like Aros but with the new updated hub. Heard a loud bang and lost rudder and canopy but landed without damage except for the firewall. As you can see no damage to the cowl so it was a blade / hub failure. The prop was assembled by weighing each blade on a triple beam and matching opposite sides for weight. Final balance of the prop was perfect. Made no noise in flight except for the bang. My next F4U will have the same power plant and prop as my LX P-40. Hacker 2000 watts and 18x3x10 cf prop. Weight and battery requirements are the same but I can get 2000 watts out of this setup. Pictures are on the p-40 thread if interested.
Could the hub have been fractured due to a blade breaking of?
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:12 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
593 Posts
Who knows, never had a prop strike. The root of the blade failed or the hub failed. The end result is the same.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Hi. IM new to site .ive been flying for 15mos. started with fb stratos and a micro corsair frm pz. I just bought a f4u select scale corsair with retracts and nav lights . its a 1100 series . havnt maiden her YET! First plane of this size for me. any sugg. ?
trickyone is offline Find More Posts by trickyone