HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2011
384 Posts
Yeah.... I've been waiting for them to go on sale, instead the cost go up. I just am not willing to spend almost $500 on a foam airplane. (not trying to start a foam vs built-up debate). I really like the big size but can't justify 2 times as much as the 1400mm version.
warbirdfan2 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:56 PM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
582 Posts
I want the 1700 P-51 an have been waiting for a sale as well but no joy so far. I have come soo close to hitting the buy it now button ESP. After a few drinks
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:44 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
I want the 1700 P-51 an have been waiting for a sale as well but no joy so far. I have come soo close to hitting the buy it now button ESP. After a few drinks
Don't drink and buy!

Or DO drink and buy!

It's all a matter of perspective. (I won't admit how many airplanes I've owned through the years thanks to an impulsive, intoxicated Buy It Now finger push)...

Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:58 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I agree the scale 3-blade looks every bit as sweet as the 4, but the problem is, this specific model is a F4U-4 Corsair which used the 4-blade. The 3 blade was for earlier variants like the F4U-1D, etc...

But I'm definitely pickin' up what you be layin' down my man.
Aros - first of I'm no expert on the matter but my point is that as I see it there isn't that much difference between a F4U-1 and the F4U-4 to look at but for the prop and the cowl. The F4U-1 has no chin air intake. For the British it means cutting off the wingtips ( no big deal surely) as well. If I'm wrong about this I would like to know as well.
So if FMS wish to look into the idea of offering extras ( scale props ) then why not an alternative cowl as well ?
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:13 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Aros - first of I'm no expert on the matter but my point is that as I see it there isn't that much difference between a F4U-1 and the F4U-4 to look at but for the prop and the cowl. The F4U-1 has no chin air intake. For the British it means cutting off the wingtips ( no big deal surely) as well. If I'm wrong about this I would like to know as well.
So if FMS wish to look into the idea of offering extras ( scale props ) then why not an alternative cowl as well ?
No you are perfectly correct. There isn't much visual difference between the -1 and -4. I agree, it wouldn't likely be a big deal to offer alternate cowls, based on whatever variant you are wanting to roll with. The body type was the same throughout her career. I think this is getting into the realm of what is coming next.

I mean, here we are, spoiled with flaps, full-functioning retracts and oleo struts, nav lighting, sequenced gear doors, detailed cockpits...What could possibly be next?

Well how about talking about more scale-sized props, alternative cowls based on the variant you want to go with...How about sliding canopies, functional cowl flaps and so on?

The point is, we are living in the Golden Era of RC foam warbirds...The sky is the limit so why not alternate cowls, your choice of stock or scale-sized props, canopies that slide and cowl flaps that move servo-activated...The wish list goes on and on...

Sorry, I'm drooling here.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Aros; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:18 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:45 AM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,646 Posts
Aros - I've only been taking an interest in RC for less than two years. The way things are improving with these electric foam planes is incredible. Your right - the sky does indeed seem the limit. This appears to be nothing short of a revolution in RC flying. Some are slow to catch on but sooner or later...
Making models that are more 'mod' friendly is how I would like to see things go. The main thing wrong with mass production is that everyone ends up with the same plane. For example most if not all here on RC groups likes to repaint. So why not give a choice of decals and leave them off ?
Thanks for doing what your doing on RC groups.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:58 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
Making models that are more 'mod' friendly is how I would like to see things go. The main thing wrong with mass production is that everyone ends up with the same plane. For example most if not all here on RC groups likes to repaint. So why not give a choice of decals and leave them off ?
Thanks for doing what your doing on RC groups.
I would love to see a day where FMS offers a clean slate body. One where the buyer can paint her however he or she desires. Although, I'm not so quick to think that "most if not all here" likes to repaint. In fact, I've come across a lot of folks who think what I do (repaint) is out of their scope of talent. I always disagree!

Point is, I agree, it would be sweet to offer versions that are clean slates for those of us who DO love to make our planes our own.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:04 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aros View Post
I would love to see a day where FMS offers a clean slate body. One where the buyer can paint her however he or she desires. Although, I'm not so quick to think that "most if not all here" likes to repaint. In fact, I've come across a lot of folks who think what I do (repaint) is out of their scope of talent. I always disagree!

Point is, I agree, it would be sweet to offer versions that are clean slates for those of us who DO love to make our planes our own.
+1 & A+1 on that!!!! ..... I support that effort 100+%

ps.... is that pilot on the way here to the Hospital?
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:52 PM
United States, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined May 2007
93 Posts
This is my progress so far, the wings are painted too. I used model master dark sea blue which is the correct FS number for this. I ordered decals from Callie Graphics and they should be there when I get back from being on the road. Can you figure out what scheme I am doing??
400xp is offline Find More Posts by 400xp
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:59 PM
United States, OH, Olmsted Falls
Joined May 2007
93 Posts
I would also like to thank everyone that answered my questions about painting and such. This plane is really beautiful. Thanks!!

P.S. if anyone know how to juice the power let me know.
400xp is offline Find More Posts by 400xp
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:49 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmoon View Post
ps.... is that pilot on the way here to the Hospital?

Yes sir, he should be at your door by Tuesday!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:50 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,381 Posts
Looking good 400xp!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:33 PM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
582 Posts
My almost maiden: I have to say that FMS has done a great job with the multi-connectors. This is my first A/C with them I was able to transport both my 1400 P-51 and the 1700 F4U-4 in my Z-28. As always the P-51 flew great. BUT the F4U had glitching problems (BAD) I'm still using 72mhz. Will have to do some work and find out the reason, all stock using the FMS ESC and BEC. w\Well she looked great on the grass while my old tried and true P-51 flew rings around her.
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, CA, Tustin
Joined Jun 2012
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
My almost maiden: I have to say that FMS has done a great job with the multi-connectors. This is my first A/C with them I was able to transport both my 1400 P-51 and the 1700 F4U-4 in my Z-28. As always the P-51 flew great. BUT the F4U had glitching problems (BAD) I'm still using 72mhz. Will have to do some work and find out the reason, all stock using the FMS ESC and BEC. w\Well she looked great on the grass while my old tried and true P-51 flew rings around her.
I'm sorry....but did you just say you fit your 14oomm P-51 and 1700mm Corsair into your Camaro?

Is your last name Copperfield per chance?

osonegro is offline Find More Posts by osonegro
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:02 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400xp View Post
This is my progress so far, the wings are painted too. I used model master dark sea blue which is the correct FS number for this. I ordered decals from Callie Graphics and they should be there when I get back from being on the road. Can you figure out what scheme I am doing??
f4U-2
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras