HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:43 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
ahah lol,
Ok update wifey allowed me to unbox the plane so that I could check for damage and then rebox for Santa
Ok first the good news , the box was packed by Ramond at RC Castel to protect it from an earth quake !!! really great .
The unboxing revealed the following .
1)very cool tail , rudder area , very scale with non abtrusive details
2)fuse was in perfact condition , one cowl flap needs some reglueing but its nothing , the fuse is flawless as far as no dings and good paint with little honey combs visable with the exception of some in the black paint area .
3) the pilot is cool almost full bodied , I will be adding more detail to the cockpit but I must in stock form its very very nice , good attempt by FMS to add some details .
4)the wings are heavy , and retracts were factory retracted so I did not want to play with them until xmas .
5) RC Castle tends to include gifts and he did not disappoint with an extra prop !!!
ok , some of the bad news but nothing I cant fix , after all I am supposed to be a modeler .
1)the wing servos don't have there arms on them , as a result in shipping they hit each other and leave nice dime and quarter size indentations into the wing on the top wing !!! Ya I was pissed as this is clearly FMS fault and not RC Castle . I will need to fill and paint the wings in that area , so work will be needed . Unfortunately its on both side so , its not a deal breaker but its clearly damage that I need to fix . It will in no way impact its airworthiness.

Ok, now the part that pisses me off lol , I ordered an extra set of retracts from RC Castle from FMS for this particular corsair , I want to try them in my red box Top Flight P40 build .
I was very impressed with the medal retract unit but the struct are cheap plastic and one is glued so tight that the leg is non functional as far as compression .
I will be more then glad to offer that back to RC Castle because its non useable and I hope the ones in the plane are functional .

Now overall comparison to my $400 79" P40 from LX VS the 67" FMS Corsair .
As far as factory packing LX wins , there is no way the LX P40 gets damaged unless UPS sits on the box lol .
Retracts , FMS wins on the medal gear look and strength, LX wins on the medal gear legs vs the plastic ones used by FMS . In reality the two companies need to meet like Chocolate and PeanutButter , LX Provide the struts and FMS provide the retract unit !!!

Decals , LX totally kicks butt , they appear painted on , seamless , look incredible , FMS has the look of a decal , they dont sit in the groves , somewhat off in scale , and dont fit into panel lines .

Overall look of the EPO , both companies win !!
Electric Parts ---I have to say on appearance FMS looks better and the ESC is more powerful out of the box vs LX . Also FMS stock has a "deans like" connector .
Power to weight ratio FMS wins in stock form vs LX .
Included Pilot -FMS wins hands down .
Wheels -FMS is a real rubber LX is a light weight foam , while LX is ok and much larger so they did not want to tax the retracts , the FMS wheels seem more appropriate to the size of the model .
Servos --while not tested yet in the FMS , its nice to see larger servos vs 9 gram medal used in the LX 79" Giant !
As far as completeness and ease of assembly , I really modded my LX P40 , but from the looks of it the FMS would appear to go together much easier based on the motor being installed .
Overall both good planes , big innovations in rc . Why the comparison ? well I am fortunate enough to have both planes and they are both in the same range as far as cost so I wanted to see how these two competitors are evolving .
Tons of pics will be posted tomorrow , I don't have my laptop home and the wonderful I-Pad is a joke at multiple picture posting
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,355 Posts
Thanks LDM
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:06 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,928 Posts
Ldm, you'll love it! Flies great out of the box.
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:05 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
thanks guys , cant wait to fly it !!
You know all the critsium you can take when showing up with a foamey lol, this week I have been working on some old kits I have that are fiberglass fuselages , they can not hold a candle to the feel and strength of this epo !
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:36 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
By the way , one last comment on the Battery charging , when I speak of urban legend , I was not referring to Brandon's excellent comments on battery break in , I was referring to the need to buy "brand names" at all time in this hobby . Many of the brand names as we know are created by the very distributor that is importing to create there name on QC and exclusivity on any one product segment .
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:43 AM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
By the way , one last comment on the Battery charging , when I speak of urban legend , I was not referring to Brandon's excellent comments on battery break in , I was referring to the need to buy "brand names" at all time in this hobby . Many of the brand names as we know are created by the very distributor that is importing to create there name on QC and exclusivity on any one product segment .
No problem My friend, I understood what you meant and agree

EG. I to have many of the earlier Magnum Nitro motors and I happen to know from the inside, that they were designed by an Engineer that used to work for O.S. and left the company to create them...that was quite a few years ago...like about 12 or so...lol. Good motors

As for the "Legend" part.....LOL...I don't mind being "Legendary"
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by brandonmoon; Dec 14, 2012 at 04:48 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:38 AM
Joined Sep 2011
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Red, I only charge at 1c on choice , the batterys can easily handle it .
As far as the break in menthioned , I never did that ...why ? total ignorance on my part , simply never knew and three years later my batterys are great , and 1/2 of the cost what was drilled in my head as #1 .
When I was in fuel planes , you were drilled on OS Max , I tried a Magnum engine at 1/3 the cost and was pleasantly surprised , so in some areas you can really save if your willing to simply try .
Same with the orange Spectrum receivers , I have used them in 70" Plus glow planes with zero problems , so I am either one lucky son of B , or there is a ton of fear and urban legend that exist in RC !!!
I agree Ldm about the urban legends and you being lucky. Anyone who gets to play with cool rc airpalnes is lucky. : )
redbarn is offline Find More Posts by redbarn
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
Ok , pics attached , you can see the extra gear leg , its the one that does not compress .
The damage on the wing is a result of the servo sproket hitting the wing with friction in shipping
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:22 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
Note , already spoke to Raymond from RC Castle , he is replacing the one gear leg immeditly , it was an extra set , not the ones installed in the plane .
As far as the wings I told him I would fix the dents , his packing was flawless , the damage was not a result on his packing
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Destin,Fl
Joined Nov 2002
572 Posts
Aren't you glad you didn't order from BH it would take months and alot of work on your part to get the LG replaced. Of course I did buy from BH but am unable to look at mine until Christmas.
cmk-2 is offline Find More Posts by cmk-2
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:15 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,928 Posts
Ldm,
When you showed the dent in the wing from the sprocket, it looked familiar. I went and checked my own, and yep, mine has it too! I remember being miffed when I saw it, but I've gotten over it since then I was planning on repainting anyways, so no biggie!
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:48 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk-2 View Post
Aren't you glad you didn't order from BH it would take months and alot of work on your part to get the LG replaced. Of course I did buy from BH but am unable to look at mine until Christmas.
You got that right!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,249 Posts
yes all great points --Raymond has been great !!!
He was elated when I said , no worries on the wings , I will fix them myself . Considering I will do some cockpit mods , I will need gray paint , so no biggie !.
Its an interesting design on the medal housing for the retracts , they looked stout , time will tell about the gear legs, its like come on FMS , stop being a "one off" this plane is sweet and you know the supply chain in China is open to copying , all they need to do is attend one trade show and "wala , they see the LX struts and they copy them lol !!!
I will be in Hong Kong mid January , my stop in to see Phillip and reach out to Raymond .
Will be buying many copy watches lol , for all my friend who are very impressed with fake bling" haha .
On another note , i had this posted in another thread but if you have a need to copy or make parts for any part of your planes, hatches ect a great tool I used in my wood kit building days is a countour guage , if you dont have one you can make one , they are great tools !!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,349 Posts
Mine had the same dents in the wing. Annoying and I told FMS about it and they said they would be updating the way those parts are protected/packaged.
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:28 PM
Feeling the THRALL
USA, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2009
819 Posts
A question for Brandon Moon, with apologies if the answer has previously been given:

How would you compare the 1600 mm LX/BH Corsair to the 1700 mm FMS Corsair. I believe you have both and I have watched your wonderful video of the the LX Corsair (what was the music you used? I loved it!).

I am in a mood to get a Corsair early next year after I finish building some of the kits that are stacked up in my basement. LOL.

Thanks,

Jackson
Jackson Stone is offline Find More Posts by Jackson Stone