SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:49 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
591 Posts
I finished mine and when the rain stops in S. Calif probably Monday will be the maiden. Some comments. The quality control is much better than lx. For example on the LX prop blades, all the blades weighed differently making it impossible to balance the prop. FMS must have matched the blades because the all came out the same on a triple beam balance and thus the finished prop was perfectly balanced.

Also liked the idea of providing extra screws and horns. 2 mistakes they made. Engineering 101 is not to put set screw 180 deg apart in the landing gear toe in flat. They should be 90 degrees. Best to true up the flat with a dremel and to use only one set screw with blue or bearing locktite around the shaft. They did use the correct setscrew having a flat tip to go against a flat instead of the pointy one everyone else uses. Second mistake is using circlips on the axle. If they rotate with the wheel they enlarge the grove that retains the circlip and they fall off with the wheel. If you put a dab of JB weld to prevent rotation of the circlip, you are good to go.

All in all, well done FMS
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,220 Posts
Not quite following you on the landing gear fix ?
Are you saying they need toe in and factory install is not allowing that ?
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
La Habra, California
Joined May 2004
591 Posts
LDM one wheel had 20 deg of toe in and the other 10 deg. So the flat had to be repositioned to make the wheels straight. I prefer not to have any toe in. You may not have this problem when you get yours. pull the 2 set screws out and the strut comes off. The strut has to flats 180 deg apart. I trued up one flat and used one set screw for that.
paracanary is offline Find More Posts by paracanary
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,129 Posts
Check this new Hobby Shop and there going to be selling FMS soon and there going to be selling a new line of planes from RocHobby which are made from FMS
http://www.motionrc.com/

Motion RC is the exclusive supplier of RocHobby aircraft, the newest line of premium scale models from FMS.
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:09 AM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,220 Posts
Para thanks , now I got it !.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:46 PM
So many A/C So little money
USA, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Nov 2009
182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
Check this new Hobby Shop and there going to be selling FMS soon and there going to be selling a new line of planes from RocHobby which are made from FMS
http://www.motionrc.com/

Motion RC is the exclusive supplier of RocHobby aircraft, the newest line of premium scale models from FMS.
This could be great news for FMS fans in the US if they carry the Big Birds and Spare Parts!
krashem is online now Find More Posts by krashem
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:53 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,220 Posts
I only could find two planes under rock hobby ?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Apparently they are not going to carry any of the 1400 & 1700 FMS planes. Their main focus is going to be the RocHobby line from FMS at this time.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:30 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,344 Posts
What's with the name change shenanigans. FMS should be FMS no matter who's selling it. They've already got a pretty loyal following and fanbase. IMO there's nothing that instills confidence less than an everchanging brand name. That being said I'm a huge fan and recent convert. I've moved from a paved runway surface to grass field operations. For me now 50+ inches is the new starting point. I love what you get for the money with FMS, I can't wait till FMS models are available at more than one place in the USA. Anybody follow the pricing at the fruit stand? It's crazy up and down, free shipping with oversize charge, then free shipping for real but the bird costs 30 more dollars. Nuts. I can't help but wonder if FMS is working on getting out of their deal. I hope so.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:37 PM
Joined Jun 2006
29 Posts
Well I guess that I prematurely bashed BH. Although the blue 1700mm went out of stock, mine shipped, although it took 3 days after the "out of stock" status popped up. WOW they must of either sold a bunch of them or did not get may. They lasted 1 week!

They do need to work on their inventory status stuff though.
rmmurray1000 is offline Find More Posts by rmmurray1000
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
381 Posts
I wonder if they realize how their price games have had an effect on their sales. I had been waiting for months for the Black Friday sale, and had intended to buy 4 planes, but ended up only buying the one that I couldn't get anywhere else. BH andFMS have been saying for the past year that they were going to stock all the parts we need, and still we wait. AS much as I would like to keep my money in the states, I will pay a little extra for shipping to deal with someone who has good service and stable pricing, and doesn't try to insult my intellegence.
warbirdfan2 is online now Find More Posts by warbirdfan2
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmmurray1000 View Post
Well I guess that I prematurely bashed BH. Although the blue 1700mm went out of stock, mine shipped, although it took 3 days after the "out of stock" status popped up. WOW they must of either sold a bunch of them or did not get may. They lasted 1 week!

They do need to work on their inventory status stuff though.
yep
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:12 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,220 Posts
warbirdfan , I did my best to try to buy from Bh and no responce after three emails , all respectful so Rc Castle got my cash .
As far as the name change I am not an expert but I think I see what is happening I will give you my 2 cents based on my import experience.
1)FMS has a contract with certain planes with BH , its also based on MOQ =minimum order quamity
2)The complaints /request by many to use another distributor led to a call of action and they have one in this new distributor .
3)Now this could be happening , there are pending orders in transit from FMS to BH and pending forecast for more production on the warbirds
4)Allowing someone elese to sell the sames planes jeapardizes the forecast that BH is has commited to buy from FMS and also the lack of excluivity negates there required agreement to have to take the committed inventory.
5)If the new distributor proves itself worthy in volume , servace ect, perhaps they will secure more of the FMS brand
6)Again this is just arm chair quaterbacking based on what I know of importing
Its all about volume , forecast , payment up front , proven sales over time ect ect ect
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Mar 2009
5,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
warbirdfan , I did my best to try to buy from Bh and no responce after three emails , all respectful so Rc Castle got my cash .
As far as the name change I am not an expert but I think I see what is happening I will give you my 2 cents based on my import experience.
1)FMS has a contract with certain planes with BH , its also based on MOQ =minimum order quamity
2)The complaints /request by many to use another distributor led to a call of action and they have one in this new distributor .
3)Now this could be happening , there are pending orders in transit from FMS to BH and pending forecast for more production on the warbirds
4)Allowing someone elese to sell the sames planes jeapardizes the forecast that BH is has commited to buy from FMS and also the lack of excluivity negates there required agreement to have to take the committed inventory.
5)If the new distributor proves itself worthy in volume , servace ect, perhaps they will secure more of the FMS brand
6)Again this is just arm chair quaterbacking based on what I know of importing
Its all about volume , forecast , payment up front , proven sales over time ect ect ect
Sounds about right to me. I will probably follow and agree with you on the Corsair...looks like mine is going to be from Raymond as well inspite of the price changes and expediency of shipping which raymond is right on top of. I can order from both places at the same time and raymonds is always here first and before BH (and they're in the same dang country!!! as me)
brandonmoon is offline Find More Posts by brandonmoon
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Relocated back to Arizona
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:25 PM
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,202 Posts
Guys,

ROC Hobby is manufactured by FMS.

ROC is not intended to compete with, nor replace FMS.

ROC will have a different product line than FMS.

The big advantage of ROC is that it will benefit from the hard-learned lessons of FMS, so it will not suffer the same growing pains.

MotionRC is the exclusive ROC Hobby U.S. distributor. FMS have learned from the BH deal, and hopefully, FMS has set conditions for MotionRC to provide better service.

As well, ROC has been granted rights to distribute some specific FMS models. There will be no conflict between Motion and BH.

The above comments are based on direct comms with the FMS factory.

In addition, FMS is not connected in any way with Nitroplanes, so the new Nitroplanes warbirds, i.e. 800mm T28/P51/Skyraider and 1450mmT28, are not FMS-made.
easyrider604 is online now Find More Posts by easyrider604
Last edited by easyrider604; Dec 02, 2012 at 08:36 PM.