to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 12:38 PM
What goes up, must come down..
United States, CA, Mission Viejo
Joined Sep 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
I am going to setup the ZYX soon. I have one question though: after setting up the ZYX controller, am I going to setup the pitch curve and throttle curve using the same steps as for the Flybar heli ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
Yes, the throttle and pitch curve can remain the same.

However, in my experience you can increase the amount actual pitch by 1-2 degrees, depending on heli model, motor, etc. For example, I'm running +-12 degrees pitch and +-10 degrees cyclic throw on my B400FBL, where it was running +-10 pitch and +-7 cyclic before. HK250GT went from 10/6.5 to 12/7.5. Just updated my HK-450TT Pro to FBL and starting with 13/11, but suspect I will need to tame the cyclic throw down a bit.
ZeroPitch is offline Find More Posts by ZeroPitch
Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:32 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPitch View Post
Yes, the throttle and pitch curve can remain the same.

However, in my experience you can increase the amount actual pitch by 1-2 degrees, depending on heli model, motor, etc. For example, I'm running +-12 degrees pitch and +-10 degrees cyclic throw on my B400FBL, where it was running +-10 pitch and +-7 cyclic before. HK250GT went from 10/6.5 to 12/7.5. Just updated my HK-450TT Pro to FBL and starting with 13/11, but suspect I will need to tame the cyclic throw down a bit.
Thanks for the information

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Feb 07, 2012, 02:01 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
I am going to setup the ZYX soon. I have one question though: after setting up the ZYX controller, am I going to setup the pitch curve and throttle curve using the same steps as for the Flybar heli ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
Yeah, it will stay identical (remember, that's all percentage based stuff), but you'll have to confirm having set up the correct pitch range with a pitch gauge (unplug the motor wires) when you think you're all set and done.

I've seen some people fighting to fly their flybarless heli with +/-7 degrees when all they had to do was increase some values to increase total pitch range.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:28 PM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
326 Posts
I got a few flights on my ZYX equipped HK450 pro last weekend and noticed a couple of things.
First off I need to decrease the deadband on the rudder channel, I can move the stick a small amount before the servo starts to move.

The other thing I noticed was while doing any pitch pumping manouvers it is like the unit would add forward cyclic, on the bench the swash moved straight up and down but in the air the nose would tend to drop.

Has anyone else noticed this?

The servos are mg14's and I am using a DX7 to control it.
Kam Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Kam Arrow
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:30 PM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Yeah, it will stay identical (remember, that's all percentage based stuff), but you'll have to confirm having set up the correct pitch range with a pitch gauge (unplug the motor wires) when you think you're all set and done.

I've seen some people fighting to fly their flybarless heli with +/-7 degrees when all they had to do was increase some values to increase total pitch range.
Are you referring "some values" to the ZYX adjustment ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Yes. You'll need to get the optimal swash movement in all directions with the proper pitch range for (3D) flight.

The kind of values are involved that deal with adjustable servo travel (ATV) and swash mix values when setting up a normal flybar helicopter. You'll have to check the ZYX manual to see which values matter most.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:48 PM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Yes. You'll need to get the optimal swash movement in all directions with the proper pitch range for (3D) flight.

The kind of values are involved that deal with adjustable servo travel (ATV) and swash mix values when setting up a normal flybar helicopter. You'll have to check the ZYX manual to see which values matter most.
Great, thanks for the clarification.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:55 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kam Arrow View Post
The other thing I noticed was while doing any pitch pumping manouvers it is like the unit would add forward cyclic, on the bench the swash moved straight up and down but in the air the nose would tend to drop.
You could check to see if the elevator gain is perhaps too high.

How does it respond in fast forward flight? Does it 'bob' (dolphin) up and down?
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
326 Posts
Quote:
You could check to see if the elevator gain is perhaps too high.

How does it respond in fast forward flight? Does it 'bob' (dolphin) up and down?
No it doesn't 'bob', but it has oscillated sided to side "wag" so I know the ail gain is on the border of being to high
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
No it doesn't 'bob', but it has oscillated sided to side "wag" so I know the ail gain is on the border of being to high
That might certainly have it's effect. Perhaps lower both gains a bit more, ailerons the most and then try again?

Are you sure all servo end points result in a level movement during a pitch pump? Are all values set to the same value?
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
326 Posts
The values in the unit are default for the next to highest 3d setting. I will have to double check end points with a swash leveler, but I don't think I changed any from the flybar head and it did not drop the nose with the flybar.
I will try to get a few flights after work today and double check some things but i don't have my swash leveler in my flight box.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,896 Posts
Quote:
The values in the unit are default for the next to highest 3d setting. I will have to double check end points with a swash leveler, but I don't think I changed any from the flybar head and it did not drop the nose with the flybar.
I will try to get a few flights after work today and double check some things but i don't have my swash leveler in my flight box.
Kam,

The set-up is slightly different for these units - do you have the programming box or the USB Bdongle for the software? The first thing that you should do (or perhaps second after setting the servo type) is use the prog box or software Monitor screen to calibrate your Tx to the FBL unit. Basically you set the Tx to mid-sticks and then use sub-trims to trim the 4 different channels so that you get 0 on the monitor screen. You should then use EPAs to ensure that full left (rudder or aileron) gives you 100% left (use the Tx servo reverse to correct if necessary) then the same for 100% right, then both sticks up and down.

If you haven't done this then you FBL unit may be seing a few points of "down" when you think that it is zero. Hope this makes sense - it is explained (badly) in the manual.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:14 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
3,896 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure all servo end points result in a level movement during a pitch pump? Are all values set to the same value?
You don't use EPA to get a flat swash with these units, EPAs are used to match the Tx inputs to the FBL unit, the FBL unit's electronics "should" keep the heli flat - as opposed to EPAs
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
Citizen #302
USA, OR, Canby
Joined Oct 2007
326 Posts
I have both the box and USB
I did use sub-trim to center the unit to the sticks, but I don't know if I set the end points with the software.
I will have to double check.
If no one else is seeing this in flight it must be something with my setup, I will go back and double check it all.

Bill