HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:37 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
That sounds very much like ESD. When the ZYX takes a static hit, it tends to jam the swashplate to an extreme tilt and it takes a hard reset to return to normal operation.

Nice job on the save though. I know it can be hard to get your bird down in one piece when this happens....
not sure what caused it, as it was fine the first flight. sure don't fancy that happening again, apart from that one incident it has been awesome. just waiting on an esc then i can convert the 500 as well.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:51 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Dr .M, what is a ESD ? Not trying to be funny here, was it a typo or something else your refering to
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
kings lynn, norfolk uk
Joined Sep 2007
597 Posts
i thought esd meant electronic static discharge, or something similar. Could be wrong though.
peter24 is offline Find More Posts by peter24
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:03 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Ahh, that makes sense, my mind wasnt going in that direction

I really hate acronyms
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:00 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
Belt drive tail rotors are rally bad for ESD. If you buy a really good belt it is anti-static.

If you are using a cheap belt you have to make sure that the tail boom is grounded to to both shafts in the belt drive . That will short out any potential that gets generated.

I have used wires and straps before. Most of the problems I had was on 450s. Sometimes you have to jam a wire into the bearing holder to get a connection when you have a plastic tail drive bearing holder.

G10 frames are worse than CF frames . The CF frames are conductive and short out the potential, G10 lets it build up.

You can also use your wife's anti static spray .
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:40 PM
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2012
162 Posts
That was the first thing I did was ground out everything on mine, and I've never had a problem
Crashed22 is online now Find More Posts by Crashed22
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:45 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Horse View Post
Ahh, that makes sense, my mind wasnt going in that direction

I really hate acronyms
War horse. I live in Fl too, and our climate does not generate much esd. I have had a half dozen helis over 5 years , all belt driven and no problems, my 450 with the ZYX is belt driven with a CF frame, no problems. Happy flying. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:17 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
ESD=electrostatic discharge.

Whereas, I do agree that warm humid climates are generally not as conducive to ESD as cold, dry ones, the ZYX is extremely sensitive to static. I've had multiple incidents on my Protos and 450, even though they are well grounded. The latest thing I've been doing is to use a large cap in parallel to the power bus and it seems to be helping .
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:30 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,211 Posts
Taking my Helli's from northern CA to the desert climate near Mojave in couple of days can't hardly get out of the car down there with out a zap most days. All 4 birds are metal and cf no plastic except for my pro boom block but it's still a torque tube all are 1 zyx and 3 zyx-s with Sat's only. Think I have any concerns. Also I do carry a can of antistatic spay like was mentioned for when the seats get bad if it does work for the belts ? a quick shot before every flight how often? The 3 zyx-s are belt
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Last edited by skyeblu; Feb 16, 2013 at 04:38 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:53 AM
Joined Apr 2011
244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
Taking my Helli's from northern CA to the desert climate near Mojave in couple of days can't hardly get out of the car down there with out a zap most days. All 4 birds are metal and cf no plastic except for my pro boom block but it's still a torque tube all are 1 zyx and 3 zyx-s with Sat's only. Think I have any concerns. Also I do carry a can of antistatic spay like was mentioned for when the seats get bad if it does work for the belts ? a quick shot before every flight how often? The 3 zyx-s are belt
I have had great success with silicon oil, and also with anti static furniture polish on my belts, the silicon I use on small heli's up to 500 size, above that I use Mr Sheen antistaic guard, this is sprayed on about every 50 flights but usually this is about every month or so.

The advantage of this can be clearly heard as the oil or polish reduces friction significantly, on my 450's its almost like i had fitted a torque tube drive.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:10 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,211 Posts
Now that you mention it I remember discussions about the silicone spay thank you. Note to self get out silicone spray tomorrow and treat the belts
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:09 AM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyeblu View Post
Now that you mention it I remember discussions about the silicone spay thank you. Note to self get out silicone spray tomorrow and treat the belts
Well, I should not have said anything as I believe I had a case of ESD this morning, not on my ZYX fitted 450, but on my flybarred Chaos 600. Cant really find anything else to blame it on. All servos seem fine, and I switched out the reciever as I had a glitch on my last flight.
Can someone tell me what type of silicone spray they are using? Going to give that a try. thanks, Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,366 Posts
the problem with silicon is you have to use it every few flights. I spray graphite down my belt drive, do it 3 flights in a row and you don't have to do it but every 20-30 flights after that.....just make sure you don't get the graphite on your electronics

Once the belt is coated it is conductive enought to stop ESD semi-perminately.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:14 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,319 Posts
Graphite does have some abrasive properties. keep an eye on belt pulley wear.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Graphite does have some abrasive properties. keep an eye on belt pulley wear.
+1
Graphite will wear your tail pulley smooth. Yes, I've done it.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M