Thanks 2d.
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:17 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
so started putting the ZYX on the Blade 300X but the swash is like 120 deg swash but oriented backwards????? I wonder do I just pick the 120 deg swash and reverse the swash mix or????? is it just not compatible?
ewoodcox is online now Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
SoCal
Joined Oct 2011
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
so started putting the ZYX on the Blade 300X but the swash is like 120 deg swash but oriented backwards????? I wonder do I just pick the 120 deg swash and reverse the swash mix or????? is it just not compatible?
It works the same, just the elevator servo direction is reversed.
Zr_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Zr_Flyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Micro Brushless H Part III
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:27 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
thanks dawg!!! that's what I figured.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:55 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
so the next thing I am wondering, says in the instructions to bind the satellite RX with a 9 ch RX (if using a DX8), then plug the satellite RX into XYZ-s using the RX cable. Does that mean the original 9ch RX will work on that channel along with the ZYX? Also, after I get everything configured, I typically do a rebind to save any default settings. Will I need the 9 ch RX again????

Not sure I like this, I have everything I need to make it work, just seems mickey mouse.....
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:40 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
has anybody used a satellite RX with this unit?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:36 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
well, I'm pretty disapointed, I cannot seem to get the satellite working with the controller, it binds to the TX but when starting the controller it just sits there and blinks yellow..... I removed the satellite and connected to a RX and it talks to John's SW, but not to the the ZYX-S software I hate that those setup programs don't have user selectable com port settings

Anyway, I am not going to install this on the 300X, probably pick up a used 7200BX for the 300X and probably another for my TREX250 FBL conversion I see them used for ~$175 which is not too bad considering you get a 7 ch RX and a FBL controller in 1 package

I'll keep playing with this but I am running out of ideas.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:06 AM
banging head on wall
Joined Feb 2010
1,219 Posts
Are you using the special tarot satellite adapter cable with the black heat shrink plugged into the rudder Chan. and the satellite. just to make sure. Here is a good screen shot the left picture shows the install less power for binding you plug power into Chan 4 on zyx then bind radio as normal using the bind button (remember the SAT has to be bound to your Rx first before hand you are binding TX to ZYX and SAT in this step ). after it binds and initializes lights will give you a show and when you have a solid red? or blue? it's ready to go. shut down as you would normally. remove the jumper from the ail and the triple connect (this equals the bind plug on spektrum) remove power lead from Chan 4 if you use a rx bat and switch on zyx if not esc should have been unplugged with proper shutdown and now plug the power battery or esc into the ail plug on zyx. Re power as normal with TX then Rx. Wow I think I have that right. If I do everything the sat and zyx should work as one rx now. and you are ready for setup Just went back and reread you post's and to make sure you have the S version. I see in you wording you use the ZYX and ZYX-s If you do have the ZYX it won't work with satellites. Pulled my hair for awhile over that one some one told me the zyx after flashed to 3.5 would work with sat. not !!!!! hope I was of help and if I have anything twisted somebody may sort my garble out lol Good luck I'm away from my helis and notes right now for a few more days but off the top of my head this is the best I can pull from the archives in my mind right now. and you can use any six plus channel rx the recomended thing in the instuctions is to use dsm2-2 or 3 acording to your rx channels in the upper right box. I have real spektrum satellites and use a hk orange 6 chan. rx to bind the sats to my DX7 and keep the orange rx in my flight box incase I ever happen to need to rebind for some reason. Thinking about it more I think I had to push the reset button when I powered up the zyx-s or the zyx thats why I used the rx battery and switch harness I couldn't push the reset and plugin the esc to battery very easy it takes more hands than I have to do it easy. I have setup 5 of these over the past year you would think I would remeber by now
skyeblu is online now Find More Posts by skyeblu
Last edited by skyeblu; Jan 27, 2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: to add last line
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
hey skyeblu, good info, I am using the connector adaptor and I have the -S version. I will attempt to bind using the graphic you provided, I can't even access those diagrams since I can't make the ZYX-S SW connect.

the cool thing is the satellite is working, if I re-power the thing the satellite blinks so it appears to work correctly, just need to configure the controller Kind of funny, I thought this would be a 30 min installation.....nope, I've spent quite a few hours playing with this and even dug out a old Windows XP notebook with no serial devices so I can pick what channel I want the dongle to work with, that helps....

Unfortunately, I have a report due at work tomorrow so I will work on that all day, if I finish I'll get back to this, probably not until Tuesday evening.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:34 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
well success and failure all at once

I spend an hour or so trying different binding methods between the satellite and the ZYX-s. I had no luck with my DX8 but I noticed it said using the standard binding method of the ZYX-s and a DX7 so I pulled out my DX7 and sure enought, binds perfect. I was using a 9 ch orange RX and selected DSM-3 but could not get the controller to initialize properily. I will use a AR6100 6 ch and select DSM-2.

Anyway, I am getting close, works great with the DX7 then wifey had chores that will no long wait hope to have it working before I go to bed tonight....
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:00 AM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
kind of thinking this is not going to work for me, I can get the thing to work using my old DX7 but I cannot get it to work with my DX8. Thanks for that graphic skyeblu, that has been a great help.

When I get another few hours I will try again, I am using John's SW, I wonder if there is a bug in the DSM selection

Anyway, I have another ZYX-s and will tried on that unit with the same results. Not sure what to try next......

maybe I will use the ZYX and a 6ch RX.....or just pick up a AR7200BX
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, AR, Jacksonville
Joined Jul 2004
494 Posts
Maybe a long shot, but can you disable the extra channel?
Whiskey Whiskey is offline Find More Posts by Whiskey Whiskey
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:13 PM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,223 Posts
Glad i still use a flybar
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:10 PM
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,376 Posts
hmmmm, not so much a flybar issue, more of a RX issue

The FBL part is pretty easy to setup.....of course now that I said that.....

So I have given up, I really wanted to get those satellite RXs working but it is not in the cards. In addition to the USB programmer I picked up the program box, I bound a satellite to a AR6100, that should be a DSM2-2 which I had the FBL controller set to. Connected the sat RX and power and ....yellow blinking light pushed the reset button, use the program box to set the next choice DSM2-3 and went though EVERY choice....none seem to work, I tried using the Orange 9ch RX, and a AR8000 which bound in dSMX mode which I don't think this controller supports.

I almost bought a Robird G31 but I just can't justify spending the $90 so I am going to put this on my 300X with a full RX. Since I can get the ZYX to work with a satellite using my DX7 I may still convert my TREX250 to FBL and fly it using my DX7....ugh!!!

Anyone who has got this to work with a DX8 I could use some help....
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:49 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
710 Posts
Got it to work once and only once with my Dx8, and that was using a Orange Sat. I spent hours fiddling with it and finally it started working.

I never could get it to work with a Spektrum DSM2 sat, it just wouldn't work, never stopped blinking yellow. There was another fellow here quite a while back that had no problems with his Dx7, don't know why there is an issue with the Dx8, very frustrating.

I specifically bought 3 Spektrum Sats when they were on sale for $11, sitting doing nothing at the moment.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1