HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:12 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,315 Posts
I notice somehow it is hard to land softly when the heli is in a slow descend. I was writing it off to servo slop but these reports caught my interest..

Collective servo throw should be the same on the bench as in flight correct?
Perhaps we can plot servo travel and compare it to a beastX controlling that servo. see if it is non-linear at spots in its travel.
Also would setting collective limit to 100 in the Gyro and reduce endpoints in the Tx have any effect?
Will adding negative expo on the collective stick improve it any?

Things like that i might try some day...crappy weather allowing. :/
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Also would setting collective limit to 100 in the Gyro and reduce endpoints in the Tx have any effect?
Interesting experiment - though I suspect it will result in similar response. I'm going to try it.

Quote:
Will adding negative expo on the collective stick improve it any?
Not sure which TX's will allow expo on collective - my JR 9XII doesn't.

Quote:
Things like that i might try some day...crappy weather allowing. :/
Crappy weather is a good time for maintenance!
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
733 Posts
pc connection issues

So now I cannot even get the driver/ comm port adapter to work. Any body else get this message? I am running windows 8, in test mode, so I can run any drivers, My IKON software adapter works perfectly.
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:53 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
I would try unplugging and re-plugging the adaptor. If that dosn't fix it, try rebooting. If that doesn't sort it, uninstall and reinstall the adaptor driver.

The "location" shown in the attached image seems to show a virtual port, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Does the Ikon adaptor also use a virtual port - i.e. with a similar address, as opposed to a simple number?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:59 PM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Not sure which TX's will allow expo on collective - my JR 9XII doesn't.
Wow, no expo on a JR9X11, all my Spectrum TXs, DX6i, DX7 and DX8s have expo. I doubt I would like flying without expo....
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoodcox View Post
Wow, no expo on a JR9X11, all my Spectrum TXs, DX6i, DX7 and DX8s have expo. I doubt I would like flying without expo....
There's expo on rudder, elevator and aileron, just not on pitch! The 9XII is a great TX, so easy and quick to program. I picked mine up used, with a 35MHz module, and converted it to 2.4G with an FrSky module and RX, for $35. Mind you, if you really did have a radio without expo, some of the gyros have expo.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:02 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
There's expo on rudder, elevator and aileron, just not on pitch! The 9XII is a great TX, so easy and quick to program. I picked mine up used, with a 35MHz module, and converted it to 2.4G with an FrSky module and RX, for $35. Mind you, if you really did have a radio without expo, some of the gyros have expo.
With the DX7 you can have expo on the collective to give more of an "S" curve - if for e.g. you want to have more or less movement aound mid-stick some have used it for that ...
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:20 AM
Whoops was it always in 2 bits
United Kingdom, England, Rotherham
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
With the DX7 you can have expo on the collective to give more of an "S" curve - if for e.g. you want to have more or less movement aound mid-stick some have used it for that ...
DX8 has the same function.
Kev
bionicbone is offline Find More Posts by bionicbone
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:02 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
On the JR, they do have a feature they call "expo" for the pitch curves, but all it does is curve-fit the points on your pitch curve, maybe useful if you have some odd, spiky kind of curve in the first place, and maybe a throwback to nitro helis.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:42 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,137 Posts
Quote:
On the JR, they do have a feature they call "expo" for the pitch curves, but all it does is curve-fit the points on your pitch curve, maybe useful if you have some odd, spiky kind of curve in the first place, and maybe a throwback to nitro helis.
DX7 may be similar - never used it. Does the JR have 7 point curves as that could help as well ...
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,851 Posts
Yes, the JR has 7 point curves, probably why I never bothered with smoothing my curves with the "expo" feature.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
FWIW, I've tried non-linear pitch curves (making them steeper around center) to mitigate this sloppy collective feel. The results were equivocal - the collective still felt sloppy around center, and I had a feeling of complete lack of precision. So I'm back to linear PCs, and just learned to deal with the quirky feel of this particular FBL system.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:55 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
I hope the rain clears up so I can get one last flight in before the end of the world tomorrow.

I herd they dont allow RC Helicopters in Heaven, and they always crash on takeoff in hell.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
I hope the rain clears up so I can get one last flight in before the end of the world tomorrow.

I herd they dont allow RC Helicopters in Heaven, and they always crash on takeoff in hell.
This world ending thing has put a real crimp on my weekend, there was just so much I wanted to do.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
Since you guys in the UK are on GMT-0 do you get "IT" first? (the winter Solstice)
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3