HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:28 AM
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Jan 2011
26 Posts
Lol. Well edge blades should be here today. I hope it does not flip this time. I would like to get at least one flight with the new blades. :-)
blevesque is offline Find More Posts by blevesque
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:31 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
116 Posts
Did some more tooling around in the backyard with my 500 today. This thing is smooth! I had a question though. I've got my main gains up to 40 now and am not getting any shakes/wobbles, do you guys suggest to keep upping it until I get the wobbles and then back it off, or leave it as is because it's fine? I'll throw a couple videos up in a bit, nothing fancy just trying to get a feel for it in the backyard.

Tarot ZYX-S (0 min 0 sec)

hoverzyx500again (0 min 0 sec)

*videos will be online in an hour or so
91awdTalon is offline Find More Posts by 91awdTalon
Last edited by 91awdTalon; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
26 Posts
Just had a great maden flight. I allso have the same question as above.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:14 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,817 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it. 40% gain on cyclic is standard for all modes beginner thru extreme. As you go from beginner up the agility is what is increased. Ihave mine set to Soft 3D for all three of my 450s and use D/R and Expo on the Transmitter to tone it down a little as I am not a smack flyer.
Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:30 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
I just flew my #2 450 for the first time this morning, and it was shaking like a wet dog in the hover! Since I have some really flexible Leadershobby skids, I was worried I'd get a tail strike when I landed, but it was fine. Had to get the gain down to 30 to stop it.

Even with the shakes in the hover, though, I could fly it around, and in FFF the shakes had almost gone.

So I reckon you could try upping your gains, since the shakes seem to show up first in the hover.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:59 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it. 40% gain on cyclic is standard for all modes beginner thru extreme. As you go from beginner up the agility is what is increased. Ihave mine set to Soft 3D for all three of my 450s and use D/R and Expo on the Transmitter to tone it down a little as I am not a smack flyer.
Charles
I agree, just didn't know if there was much to be gained by increasing. To bad I didn't have anyone to film my flights at the field. This thing is incredible! It rolls quicker than snot and tracks like it's on rails!

@2doggs, I'm getting that little program box for Christmas, may start tinkering at the field then.

I did lower my expo to 30% (dx7s) on the ail and elev, was a little to mushy around the middle at 40%.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:29 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,710 Posts
I still get a kick out of how well my 450 flies with the CX, in my case, compared with how it was as an FB heli. It's really by far the best $30 (!) I ever spent on helis. The program box is handy at the field, and it also functions as a servo tester and shows the voltage of things like ESC BEC's and so on - but since the shakes are most apparent in the hover, I generally do some driveway hovering, with the laptop to hand in the garage to make any changes, though I have taken the laptop to the field on the odd occasion.

Previously, I stopped the shakes by reducing the cyclic P & I values from 80 to 70 - so it may be interesting to see if there's any difference between doing it that way compared with reducing overall gain.

Make sure your battery pack is tightly strapped on - I've seen mine wobble when hovering with the canopy off when the strap was a bit on the loose side.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jan 2011
26 Posts
I am liking it to. Going to try fff soon.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
I still get a kick out of how well my 450 flies with the CX, in my case, compared with how it was as an FB heli. It's really by far the best $30 (!) I ever spent on helis. The program box is handy at the field, and it also functions as a servo tester and shows the voltage of things like ESC BEC's and so on - but since the shakes are most apparent in the hover, I generally do some driveway hovering, with the laptop to hand in the garage to make any changes, though I have taken the laptop to the field on the odd occasion.

Previously, I stopped the shakes by reducing the cyclic P & I values from 80 to 70 - so it may be interesting to see if there's any difference between doing it that way compared with reducing overall gain.

Make sure your battery pack is tightly strapped on - I've seen mine wobble when hovering with the canopy off when the strap was a bit on the loose side.
That would be terrible to have the battery come loose. I went quite a while without any crashes/mishaps and within the past 6 months I have destroyed quite a bit of stuff due to mechanical failures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevesque View Post
I am liking it to. Going to try fff soon.
If only I could get my better half to come out and film me. I just noticed that our camera was set on disgusting quality in those videos I uploaded. My jaw was on the ground today as I was whipping this puppy around, and I'm not kidding. It is just night and day from the old FB setup to DFC and this gyro. Unreal!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91awdTalon View Post
That would be terrible to have the battery come loose. I went quite a while without any crashes/mishaps and within the past 6 months I have destroyed quite a bit of stuff due to mechanical failures.

If only I could get my better half to come out and film me. I just noticed that our camera was set on disgusting quality in those videos I uploaded. My jaw was on the ground today as I was whipping this puppy around, and I'm not kidding. It is just night and day from the old FB setup to DFC and this gyro. Unreal!
go to http://www.pivothead.com and remedy that....you don't need your better half to help ya out on this one.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
go to http://www.pivothead.com and remedy that....you don't need your better half to help ya out on this one.
Nice, but $300
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:59 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Agree, nice glasses but $300 !!!
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:03 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91awdTalon View Post
Did some more tooling around in the backyard with my 500 today. This thing is smooth! I had a question though. I've got my main gains up to 40 now and am not getting any shakes/wobbles, do you guys suggest to keep upping it until I get the wobbles and then back it off, or leave it as is because it's fine? I'll throw a couple videos up in a bit, nothing fancy just trying to get a feel for it in the backyard.

https://vimeo.com/54552554

https://vimeo.com/54552936

*videos will be online in an hour or so
That one sure seems to run smooth. Nice crisp collective response at that 2700rpm it runs.
What servo combination is installed? Seems to work well.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
Agree, nice glasses but $300 !!!
yeah, they are expensive, i do own a pair though and I can honestly say that I don't regret the purchase on bit. I go and fly and review my flights and I can see things I did wrong. I also go downtown and ride my bike and i get to keep all the fine sights
it's a beautiful thing.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
yeah, they are expensive, i do own a pair though and I can honestly say that I don't regret the purchase on bit. I go and fly and review my flights and I can see things I did wrong. I also go downtown and ride my bike and i get to keep all the fine sights
it's a beautiful thing.
What about the people who wear glasses, could this expensive camera glasses be worn on top of the existing glasses ?
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014