HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:41 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,348 Posts
Bad luck but preventable.

When converting to FBL I learned to just hit TH ~20cm above the ground, still in idle-up. As soon as it touches the ground quickly but smoothly feed in full negative-collective. It just makes it stick to the ground and spool down a lot faster. After that flip to normal mode for safety before approaching the heli. (dont want a chickendance if i ever bump throttlehold by accident)
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
Joined Apr 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
My zyx should be here tomorrow. At last.. Just wondering what i can expect from going flybarless . Longer flight times? Etc?
More tuneable head settings, more wind tolerance, and longer flight times are all available to exploit.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter24 View Post
My zyx should be here tomorrow. At last.. Just wondering what i can expect from going flybarless . Longer flight times? Etc?
You might just see slightly longer flight times, but for me the biggest improvement was in penetration - I was able to do bigger loops, for example, and the heli can fly a bit faster. Depending on how you set up the controller, the heli can be super stable or as twitchy as you want. Many people might say that a heli flies "a bit bigger" on FBL. I find the mechanical simplicity really appealing.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Jan 2011
26 Posts
Thanks for the tip spoofman. I will try again when I get the parts.
just so i'm clear on this. It will try to eat the ground every time I land if I dont auto.
blevesque is offline Find More Posts by blevesque
Last edited by blevesque; Nov 25, 2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Ground rollovers are more likely with FBL than FB, but still rare actually. I've had it happen once or twice, then learned to leave the cyclic stick alone on the ground, and apply some negative pitch as soon as the skids touch down.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, GA, Cleveland
Joined Jan 2011
26 Posts
Thank Dr. M ... I am surprised that my fethering and main shaft are not bent. :-)
blevesque is offline Find More Posts by blevesque
Old Nov 25, 2012, 06:19 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Ikon on the way.... had enough of the zyx... hopefully this one will work out better....
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:50 PM
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2012
18 Posts
i got my trex 500 up and flying again after the crash from the elevator servo malfunction but there are two problems first when tried first flight the tail servo was reversed in the zyx program so i fixed that 2nd i have wobbles when the heli hovers if i pump the pitch it goes away but returns when i try to bring the heli down
piledrive is offline Find More Posts by piledrive
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:56 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
117 Posts
Just finished my 500 after my crash. Wish me luck, I'm heading out to test it as soon as my battery is finished charging!
91awdTalon is offline Find More Posts by 91awdTalon
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:05 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by piledrive View Post
i got my trex 500 up and flying again after the crash from the elevator servo malfunction but there are two problems first when tried first flight the tail servo was reversed in the zyx program so i fixed that 2nd i have wobbles when the heli hovers if i pump the pitch it goes away but returns when i try to bring the heli down
Drop the cyclic gains from their default value of 40. Or just live with the momentary shakes when coming to the hover.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I'm replacing my 450 EXI FB head (my only fb head left) with the 10 dollar HK FBL head. I was thinking of putting the (spare) fifth ZYX-S on a quad, but I don't care for quads or tricopters for some reason. Just sharing that it is never ending; you can make up a reason for a new project. I'll use this heli for low inverted FRF I guess.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:14 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
5,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I'm replacing my 450 EXI FB head (my only fb head left) with the 10 dollar HK FBL head. I was thinking of putting the (spare) fifth ZYX-S on a quad, but I don't care for quads or tricopters for some reason. Just sharing that it is never ending; you can make up a reason for a new project. I'll use this heli for low inverted FRF I guess.
That's a shame, the $15 HK RJX head is not much more but really good....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
Ikon on the way.... had enough of the zyx... hopefully this one will work out better....
The Ikon/Brain is much more beginner-friendly than the ZYX, but it can still pose a challenge to get the tail set up perfectly. I'm still working on mine...
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:20 PM
Wisconsin
Joined Aug 2005
117 Posts
A big thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and for the advice/suggestions earlier when I asked questions. My "re-maiden" went extremely well!

I will say I ditched the TT tail and switched over to belt driven and this thing was just singing! The blades gargling the night air was awesome! Now I'll move the gains up a bit and hopefully have a polished setup!!

Thanks again everyone!
91awdTalon is offline Find More Posts by 91awdTalon
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
That's a shame, the $15 HK RJX head is not much more but really good....
I have another new RJX head, but want to save it as a spare for the 6S 450 RJX. I have too many helis. I don't see any downsides to the HK $10 head yet. I bought it some time ago to on impulse. I also have a couple more CopterX FBL heads that aren't being used
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777