SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:08 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,694 Posts
Thanks for posting that. It makes an interesting read, although I suspect the GT5 differs from the ZYX and similar units in quite a few ways. There's reference to both I gain and I limit settings, for example, with only I gain being adjustable on the ZYX. There's also nowhere in the ZYX setup where you can input servo speed (as opposed to servo operating frequency). That leads me to wonder if the ZYX doesn't get the full advantage from super fast servos.

The section on tail settings is interesting. He suggests adjusting the tail pushrod as a means of equalising stop behaviour, which is something I would never have considered. I've always set up the tail in rate mode, so there's only one pushrod length that works. One of my gripes with my 3x1000 is that is has different stops left and right, so I may try adjusting the pushrod.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:05 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
You could definitely use the 65MG's, but with them being analog, you would probably have to reduce your cyclic gains. I recall several posts in the ZYX or 3x1000 threads detailing the changes needed to the default gains.

I've tried a few different cheap servos on my 450 FBL, so here's my 2c:

I had good results with these Henge 933's though their cases are a bit fragile and will break in a moderately heavy crash. On the servo tester, they showed 0.135s rather than the claimed 0.11s. They worked fine with the #5 preset model cyclic settings.

I thought I'd try the faster Henge 922's next, but their speed was the same on the tester and they had lots of gear slop. I had to reduce cyclic gain by 10 points to prevent the shakes. (on the heli, not me....)

Going really cheap, I tried these Corona 929MG's but although they were faster than the Henge servos, they had a horrible amount of gear slop.

I then fitted a set of Align DS410's, which run to about $18 apiece in the US, and the heli flies noticeably better with those, feeling more precise or "locked in'. They have plastic output gears, which always break in even a light crash, but that probably prevents more damage, and replacement gears are reasonably cheap and easy to find.

I may yet try out these metal ones which are a bit on the heavy side but get good reports.

I've heard good reports on these HK single chip servos and you couldn't get any cheaper than them! When they come back in stock, I'm going to try some.

If you do go for some cheap servos, be sure to buy at least one spare, since quality control is never a strong point at the bargain basement end.
Thanks man, I tried the hk single chips and I had a very minor crash and they were done so don't waste your money on those. Where can I get one of those servo testers and what one are you using?> thanks
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy. View Post
I use hitec 65 carbonites ($6 gear sets) with gain of 40 on my 450, they work great even though they are analog they test faster than spec'ed. I've read they are the only analog servos that work well with fbl...I don't know about that but do know they work great on my 450 re: speed, centering, durability and rebuild-ability. And you already have them, no sense not trying and see for yourself, eh?

Cheers,
Ken
I guess I will give them a shot..... I got those kds 2004-4 servos on the way which I believe are digital so I might just try them also. They are used on the kds fbl model so they should be pretty good..... we will see
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Which channel is to the aileron servos and which one do I plug the elevator into???
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
If you can try it on another computer... Maybe something in your settings because I just tried downloading the drivers from that site and it worked.... Maybe try it with another web browser...
I finally tried another computer but also a different browser which it finally downloaded the drivers man that was rough but it connected all green. I didn't want to pay for a program box because I fly across the street from my house. I have a brand new tarot pro V2 fbl super combo. This past weekend I went to the helifreak fun fly in San Diego, Calif an meet Dave from tarot-rc-heli nice guy. So maybe this weekend I should get a chance to program my ZYX-S.
vronny is offline Find More Posts by vronny
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vronny View Post
I finally tried another computer but also a different browser which it finally downloaded the drivers man that was rough but it connected all green. I didn't want to pay for a program box because I fly across the street from my house. I have a brand new tarot pro V2 fbl super combo. This past weekend I went to the helifreak fun fly in San Diego, Calif an meet Dave from tarot-rc-heli nice guy. So maybe this weekend I should get a chance to program my ZYX-S.
Maybe rethink the program box. It is sweet. I used it just tonight because I didn't want to boot up the PC to adjust tail servo endpoints and click through a lot of stuff. I use it all the time at the field for my four ZYX helis.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Im considering getting the programming box just so I can make adjustments when I'm not at home... have a macbook for a laptop so I can't bring it with me.

THe PC software is probably way better than the programming box though.

+1 on Dave, just waiting for them to finish their website update so I can order more stuff I don't need LOL.
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:41 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Thanks man, I tried the hk single chips and I had a very minor crash and they were done so don't waste your money on those. Where can I get one of those servo testers and what one are you using?> thanks
The ZYX and 3x1000 program boxes also function as a servo tester - so that's what I'm using, but you can get standalone testers, eg from Hobbyking

I knew the single chip servos were fragile, but until the crash, how were they performing?
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,760 Posts
Quote:
Which channel is to the aileron servos and which one do I plug the elevator into???

Perhaps have a look at the drawings in the first post of this thread.

Mine using a AR6100e / ZYX combo is

Left cyclic Ch.1
Right cyclic Ch 2
Elev. Ch 3

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
730 Posts
The programming box is perfect for at the field changes once you set up on the pc. It's indispensable once you have the heli rough set up and just need to make minor changes.
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Was busy doing config ZYX-S with Orange RX. I accidentally selected dsmx as RX type. Now 3 lights on the ZYX are on and I can't connect to the unit anymore with the USB adapter. Any suggestions?? Before I selected the wrong RX type everything worked fine..
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:03 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
Anyone know a Good Cheap Digital servo?
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:08 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,072 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

this should work for the tail
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:11 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Was busy doing config ZYX-S with Orange RX. I accidentally selected dsmx as RX type. Now 3 lights on the ZYX are on and I can't connect to the unit anymore with the USB adapter. Any suggestions?? Before I selected the wrong RX type everything worked fine..
I sorted it out. Had to press the setup button multiple times..

Another question. I use an orange rx (no satellite). It somehow looks like channels are reversed when they are not. Whatever I try I can't seem to get the swash move normally. Is that Orange RX related?
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:53 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,072 Posts
When you use a sat almost all of the channels are in the wrong place and in the wrong direction-sometimes even the throttle-be carefull. You just have to fool around and sort it all out.
Sometimes you have to reverse channels on the transmitter set up screen as well.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3