SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:54 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Those servos are 300hz 1520us if I'm not mistaken, but you can definitely try. Just be sure to check whether they become hot or twitch like crazy. I would not recommend those servos with the ZYX though.
What is a good servo that is cheap? What about hitec 65mg? I have a set of those....
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:53 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow View Post
Small question. I'm converting my HK450GT to FBL using the Tarot FBL head and the ZYX-S. Installed the head but I'm not 100% sure about the length of the links to the swash and to the head. The length mentioned in de Align 450 Pro manual don't seem correct in my situation. Can someone help me out with the correct lengths?? Would be appreciated
Unless you are using Align servos and other parts, the lengths may vary a bit from the diagram - but there are only a few things you need to consider.

1) The servo arms and swash locker arms need to be horizontal at zero pitch.

2) The swash needs to be at the centre of travel at zero pitch.

There's a bit of "wiggle room" - you can have the swash slightly above or below that optimum point at zero pitch, depending on how much pitch you're trying to use.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:06 AM
The Netherlands, NH, Nieuw-Vennep
Joined Mar 2011
518 Posts
Ok, thnx. Than I go that road. Makes most sense
Chow is offline Find More Posts by Chow
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:50 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
What is a good servo that is cheap? What about hitec 65mg? I have a set of those....
I wouldn't recommend any of the cheapest servos actually. With flybarless controllers you really should want some quality servos for max performance. Hitec isn't bad but it's better to go with servos known to work great. Not sure if those fall into that category.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:07 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,992 Posts
Cheap servo thoughts

Quote:
You could definitely use the 65MG's, but with them being analog, you would probably have to reduce your cyclic gains. I recall several posts in the ZYX or 3x1000 threads detailing the changes needed to the default gains.

I've tried a few different cheap servos on my 450 FBL, so here's my 2c:

I had good results with these Henge 933's though their cases are a bit fragile and will break in a moderately heavy crash. On the servo tester, they showed 0.135s rather than the claimed 0.11s. They worked fine with the #5 preset model cyclic settings.

I thought I'd try the faster Henge 922's next, but their speed was the same on the tester and they had lots of gear slop. I had to reduce cyclic gain by 10 points to prevent the shakes. (on the heli, not me....)

Going really cheap, I tried these Corona 929MG's but although they were faster than the Henge servos, they had a horrible amount of gear slop.

I then fitted a set of Align DS410's, which run to about $18 apiece in the US, and the heli flies noticeably better with those, feeling more precise or "locked in'. They have plastic output gears, which always break in even a light crash, but that probably prevents more damage, and replacement gears are reasonably cheap and easy to find.

I may yet try out these metal ones which are a bit on the heavy side but get good reports.

I've heard good reports on these HK single chip servos and you couldn't get any cheaper than them! When they come back in stock, I'm going to try some.

If you do go for some cheap servos, be sure to buy at least one spare, since quality control is never a strong point at the bargain basement end.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
Quote:
I still like my Solar D654 digital all metal gear servo's. They work well and only $10 a pop. No gear slop yet and center very well.

http://www.xheli.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html
nascar1929 is online now Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:27 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
I still like my Solar D654 digital all metal gear servo's. They work well and only $10 a pop. No gear slop yet and center very well.

I'd forgotten about those. Every time I tried to buy some in the past, they were out of stock! They do look like strong contenders for the best $10 450 cyclic servo, and have decently long leads which helps with FBL installs.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:02 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:

If you buy those servos, make sure to get plenty of spare horns, as they don't seem to be compatible to anything else. Also you should open them up and to this mod for safety: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704763
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
I use hitec 65 carbonites ($6 gear sets) with gain of 40 on my 450, they work great even though they are analog they test faster than spec'ed. I've read they are the only analog servos that work well with fbl...I don't know about that but do know they work great on my 450 re: speed, centering, durability and rebuild-ability. And you already have them, no sense not trying and see for yourself, eh?

Cheers,
Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:33 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
The Hitec hs65 may not look as good as the low cost digital servos on paper, but they usually out perform them in the real world.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
I have HS 65 MG on cyclics in a Blade 400 with a Tarot ZYX-S and Tarot 450 FBL head. I am not a 3D flyer but these servos work fine for me and have survived a dozen or more crashes over the years. I have a HS 5084 MG on the tail whic works great also.

I have used Hitec servos for around 30 years now and have never been disapointed.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:26 PM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
733 Posts
If any of you guys are still wondering (like Me) what the PID settings do and how to set them up properly without just guessing, here is a PDF guide from Thunder Tiger on another Flybarless setup, but explains the set up of the PID programming very well. I found it in a review of the new Mini -Titan by CSpaced.
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:39 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy. View Post
I use hitec 65 carbonites ($6 gear sets) with gain of 40 on my 450, they work great even though they are analog they test faster than spec'ed. I've read they are the only analog servos that work well with fbl...I don't know about that but do know they work great on my 450 re: speed, centering, durability and rebuild-ability. And you already have them, no sense not trying and see for yourself, eh?

Cheers,
Ken
Been using these for years in my 450s, flybarred and now my Trex flybarless with the ZYX, and they work great. did not have to change any of the defaults.
Now I do not do a lot of 3d, but more advanced than just sport. They also hold up incredibly well.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHB3&P=7
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:53 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:

+1. I am using this servo in my 250 DFC FBL too, so far so good.Tarot 250 FBL head has too many slop. DFC head and swashplate works very well and no slop at all.

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:54 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
If you buy those servos, make sure to get plenty of spare horns, as they don't seem to be compatible to anything else. Also you should open them up and to this mod for safety: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1704763
I did buy extra servo horn, just in case

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014