HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:42 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
The 3.02 is the software that runs on your computer, the 3.50 is the firmware that runs in the unit.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:52 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
I'm still using the 3.02 version. Should I upgrade to the 3.50? I'm still learning to fly at faster speeds and working into loops. Didn't know if there would be any noticeable advantages in stability or tail hold. It currently flies fine as it is.

By the way Simon, thank you very much for your ZYX setup video's. They were a tremendous help for me with my first 450 build and first time having to program a gyro. You made it very easy to follow and understand. Excellent work! Off topic.....How close is Nottinghamshire to Lakenheath AB? I lived over there across the pond in a little town called Brandon for 3 years while I was in the USAF. Had a great time over there and wish I still had my 1968 Mini Clubman. Had to take the front seat out to drive it since I'm 6'5" tall and got all kinds of funny looks!
Thanks!

My advice would be "if it ain't broke - don't fix it!" because of you saying it flys fine. I have a 450 that I built some months before I made those videos and I'm so happy with how it flys that there is no way I'm messing with the firmware. The donor heli was a good old plastic $10 HK-450 that was my beater and now it's my favourite, lol

FW v3.5 imo does not give an improvement in flight & hover stability. The improvements are in smoothness of controls (deadband handling) and pirouettes (both the abrupt stop and piro optimisation). The downside is much talked about FFF issue most especially into a head wind.

Lakenheath is about 120 miles from where I live. Great story about the mini. I remember my Grandad & Dad having one of those

Simon
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:56 PM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
The 3.02 is the software that runs on your computer, the 3.50 is the firmware that runs in the unit.
I thought there was a v3.02 for the zyx-s only. I'm sure I saw a .bin file when I was looking for the older versions.

S
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:09 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
I thought there was a v3.02 for the zyx-s only. I'm sure I saw a .bin file when I was looking for the older versions.

S

Yeah, I think I've seen that too. Should even been a few beta versiona floating around, the v3.02 might be one of them when I come to think of it.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
I stand corrected
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:35 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
If you go to Hobby Kings website and go to the "Files" tab under the ZYX-S gyro, they have 2 firmware updates. The first is labeled "firmware for ZYX-S" which is version 3.02, the second is labeled "Firmware for ZYX-S 3.50". My gyro came with the 3.02 on it when I ordered and received it from them.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...m_Adapter.html

I will leave it alone for now since it flies fine. Maybe Tarot will get the word that there are some things to tweak with the 3.50 version and get those done on the next version they put out. Maybe then I'll update if needed.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Last edited by nascar1929; Oct 02, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:12 AM
I do RVP
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Dec 2008
473 Posts
I'm planning on putting a Tarot ZYX (earlier non-S version) on a FPV heli along with Scherrer UHF RC system.

It seems a lot of electronics put out RF interference in the 433MHz to 444MHz range causing intermittent glitching with such radio systems. The GoPro Hero 1 had a lot of it. Same with with Foxtech's Horyzon HD camera has alot of RF in this band -- see the long running thread on that one!

Does anyone know if the Tarot ZYX has significant RF output in this band?
WEREE is offline Find More Posts by WEREE
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Jul 2012
29 Posts
If you wrap it in tin foil, will it help minimise rf interference?
geekystar is offline Find More Posts by geekystar
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:01 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
Most likely you're not getting this problem because you're using either a different pitch range or much better servos. I'm not yet convinced that this is some sort of bug.
I'm using HS-65MG for cyclic on the 450s, an airframe I would assume the problem would show up on somewhat more? I really don't think about it that much.

I'm following this story for info cuz I'm just following for firmware announcements. I did ask a few questions, but I am fine now. The ZYX is a pretty nice gyro. I'm not sure what its downsides would be yet. I've asked, but didn't get hard data. All four have been working great. I have a fifth ZYX-S for my quad that I haven't installed yet. I don't have any other 3-axis gyros.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Oct 04, 2012 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Except the HK KK gyros, I have them in a cardboard box, and won't wobble quads or cameras any more.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:09 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekystar View Post
If you wrap it in tin foil, will it help minimise rf interference?
When I wrap my head in foil it seems to stop the alien voices, so it should help a little
Old Oct 04, 2012, 09:44 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
OK, I'm not sure if these could be considered cheap and I'm not sure about the most desirable servo specs for the Gaui 200. But, assuming micro servos all-round:

Cyclic - Ino-Lab HGD-202HB

Tail - Ino-Lab HGD-201HB

You would not be disappointed with how well they perform with the zyx! Log in for the best prices (about $18 each).

S
HGD-201HB comes out to $31.98. Cost is still issue for me. How about for Gaui 200 using:

BMS 306 DMax for cyclics $11.90 and HK-922Mg for tail $11.84?
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:44 AM
Australia, NSW, Ingleburn
Joined Dec 2009
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
HGD-201HB comes out to $31.98. Cost is still issue for me. How about for Gaui 200 using:

BMS 306 DMax for cyclics $11.90 and HK-922Mg for tail $11.84?
If your logged in then the HGD-201HB come down to $21.89 and the 202's are $17.95
ingleburn is online now Find More Posts by ingleburn
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:49 AM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ingleburn View Post
If your logged in then the HGD-201HB come down to $21.89 and the 202's are $17.95
yep, got it now. Will be buying Tarot Zyx-S and it already bundled with USB adapter. Next I will need the Sat cable adapter (for my HK Orange Sat). Do I need the Zyx-s Bus connection cable?
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Oct 04, 2012, 01:36 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I'm using HS-65MG for cyclic on the 450s, an airframe I would assume the problem would show up on somewhat more? I really don't think about it that much.

I'm following this story for info cuz I'm just following for firmware announcements. I did ask a few questions, but I am fine now. The ZYX is a pretty nice gyro. I'm not sure what its downsides would be yet. I've asked, but didn't get hard data. All four have been working great. I have a fifth ZYX-S for my quad that I haven't installed yet. I don't have any other 3-axis gyros.
Yeah, I understand. I've not encountered any issues either, except the most basic issues of setting a too high gain at first. The tail bounce can be easily fixed once you know what to adjust.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:53 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,839 Posts
Tarot ZYX-S in a Blade 400 ,Hitec hS65MG cyclic ,Hitec 5084 MG on tail. I am a sports (big air)flyer and have logged 10 great flights. Love piro compensation and a tail that is extremly well behaved. I only had to add 7 Cyclic to tail to keep nose from turning left a bit during hard punch out there is the lest bit of wag during such punch outs but then the Blade 400 is well known for having tail issues. This is by far the best it has ever flown.

Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer