HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
That's why I suggested the HB800. The experience is the same as the beastx, without the price tag (I have both). I also have two HB800's. Both work, but only one has flown. The second one will be going on a bigger heli than the 550E. Just haven't decided what it will be yet.

FYI, I'm not bagging the ZYX. I have 5 of them in helis. I love tweaking and testing new firmware, and it's not like they don't fly well out of the box, at least my ones have. I'm more than happy with default Hard Core (and now D gain set to around 10).
I'm overstating it, but it does get old for me. I put a new tail on my 450 to fix a vibration ... adjust the tail gain / I D again for 3 batteries for tail wander and it works fine basically now. I'll have to tweak it for another couple days.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Thanks though, I'll check out the HB800.

The ZYX is fine actually, I just don't have enough time to make the fleet fly perfectly.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:47 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Holy cow, David. You're getting another bird? Soon they won't all fit in one picture for your avatar?

So what are you thinking? Is it another Align/clone or are you looking at other designs? I was thinking it would be nice to see one of the hot new birds like the Goblin or Xxtreme flying one of the cheap FBL systems... How about a TDR?
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:32 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Holy cow, David. You're getting another bird? Soon they won't all fit in one picture for your avatar?

So what are you thinking? Is it another Align/clone or are you looking at other designs? I was thinking it would be nice to see one of the hot new birds like the Goblin or Xxtreme flying one of the cheap FBL systems... How about a TDR?
What's all this? I do like your advice.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 04:58 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
Ok so I'm trying to do this and its not working.

I set my Gyro in my TX to 0-100% 1-50%

When I launch the ZYX sofware and connect and view the first setup screen.
When I toggle my switch to 0 the tail gain reads 125
When I toggle my switch to 1 the tail gain reads 0

Setting subtrims or travel limits on the gyro channel in my TX has no effect on these numbers at all. Not sure what to do .
That is a result of sorts. It shows that 100% on the tx maxes out the channel to 125 gain and 50% is the zero gain point. That later is the cross over from HH to rate.

If my maths is correct then + & -36 :

DX6i gyro setting for switch 0 = (((100/125)*36)/2)+50 = 64
DX6i gyro setting for switch 1 = 50-(((100/125)*36)/2) = 36

Try setting gyro in the tx adjust menu to 62 for switch 0 and 38 for switch 1. This should be very close to +/-36 in the software monitor page. If not adjust these numbers by a little trial and error but I don't think they will be far out.

The reason the manual says +/-36 is that they are safe-ish tail values. Will provide a level of hold without wag to get you off the ground. The heading hold value (switch 0) will need optimising by raising 2 points at a time until the onset of tail wag then backing off to the last good value with no tail wag.

HTH & sorry if I led you up a blind alley before.

Simon

ps. maybe it should be 50/75 in the first parentheses - I can't decide but the result is very similar. What I'm saying is I may be 2 points out on the tx but that is all!
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:09 AM
Nottinghamshire, UK
Joined Dec 2009
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
Sorry if you have already mentioned this but what are your settings for the PID with the main gain at 70?

That is amazing it isn't shaking with the gain at 70! I'll be interested to hear how the flying goes.
Standard soft 3D which is 80-100-30

I was equally amazed. It suggests to me that fw v3.5 is a revolution as opposed to an evolution.

S
sgbfly is offline Find More Posts by sgbfly
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:56 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post

LOL. I like building them as much as I like flying them, and I can't bring myself to selling any either.

Yeah, there's plenty of good ones to choose from. Yesterday I was checking out the AleeS Rush 750. Seems like a really nice heli.

Still haven't ruled out the 700E DFC or the soon to be release 600E Pro DFC. I do like the super combos, and thankfully a few sites sell them without the 3GX, for a few bucks less.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:40 AM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
sgbfly Thanks for the tip and the explanation. Makes a bit more sense now. I will just mess with the gyro values. Not sure if your math is right I just woke up but I can for sure figure that out ha..or just change the values while I'm connected to the software. I think my problem was subtrims and travel adjust did nothing that was my hangup.

Edit: just set it.. 65.0 and 35.5 gives me -36 and +36/37 your math was right.
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:41 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
That's why I suggested the HB800. The experience is the same as the beastx, without the price tag (I have both). I also have two HB800's. Both work, but only one has flown.
First of, the HB800 is a Beastx v1 clone. So apart from the usual quality control issues you might encounter with cloned stuff, it also is not packed with the improvements the later Beastx units come with. I really wouldn't say both provide 'the same' experience.

I've heard people state such nonsense way too often whenever something cheap but very decent came along. Yes, the HB800, very much like the Tarot ZYX, is an excellent buy, but it's not on par with the BeastX yet.

Quote:
Still haven't ruled out the 700E DFC or the soon to be release 600E Pro DFC. I do like the super combos, and thankfully a few sites sell them without the 3GX, for a few bucks less.
While I am in fact equally thankful for that, the 3GX has become a lot better since v2.1 firmware. I've also noticed that doing a full stick check in every direction and back to neutral stick position seems to eliminate the drift that some experience after a few minutes of flight. Furthermore, it still seems to be mainly a weakness whenever people try to fly with an unbalanced helicopter. Another thing to note is that increasing the 'virtual flybar' seems to improve things even more for many. I still would not recommend the 3gx though.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,076 Posts
Still playing around with some settings and trying to get that tail wag fixed. I took it out for a hover test and seemed to do well. Just a slight tail wag after swapping the ZYX pad with the 3M 4011 tape and strapping the gyro down. Gonna try and balance the motor bell and see if I can get rid of the vibe it's creating.

Switched to idle up 1 for the first time and hovered it. I was getting a slight cyclic oscillation that went away after I switched back to normal mode. Any suggestions as to why this may happen in Idle up 1, but not in Normal mode?
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
Switched to idle up 1 for the first time and hovered it. I was getting a slight cyclic oscillation that went away after I switched back to normal mode. Any suggestions as to why this may happen in Idle up 1, but not in Normal mode?
There are two things to reckon with. First up, a higher head speed generally means you'll need less gyro gain. In short, there's more torque at play so there's a bigger chance gyro reactions will in fact 'overshoot'.

Second up, vibrations. You might get more vibrations at higher head speeds that might cause issues.

I think you should program in different tail gyro gains for each flight mode if your TX allows for that. In any case a gentle tail wag might also indicate other advanced settings that are still not adjusted correctly. Usually a wag means you'll need to lower gains.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Sep 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, GA
Joined Dec 2011
130 Posts
Got most of my problems sorted but I need help with one problem.

When I spool the heli up, just before it lifts there is a very pronounced tilt left or right. It never corrects itself as if it thinks that now this is level. When I disconnect the battery and reinitialize it goes back to normal level swash. It does this every time. It happens very quickly as if I hit the stick hard right or left (of course I am not).

When I move the stick up with no throttle on it moves up smoothly.

Thanks for any help,
Moto
MX48 is offline Find More Posts by MX48
Old Sep 23, 2012, 09:12 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbfly View Post
Standard soft 3D which is 80-100-30

I was equally amazed. It suggests to me that fw v3.5 is a revolution as opposed to an evolution.

S
Did you happen to notice how the heli reacted when you made a quick stick input? I have my gain around 40 and the PID at 80-115-30 and have noticed that if I "flick" the cyclic stick the helicopter will "wobble" for a second. Maybe I should lower the I gain and raise the main gain?
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
what is PID?
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:51 AM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
what is PID?
Control parameters for the FBL system. Read this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1579703
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M