Old Aug 31, 2012, 02:11 AM
What goes up will crash down!
Germany, BW, Ulm
Joined May 2011
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450 BOY View Post
Hi guys,
I have set up my heli with the programme box no probs.
But now i want to upgrade the firm ware with the USB cable, i can't get it to link with my Laptop. I'm using a Mac with Parallels and Windows XP Got johns software loaded. I don't know if i'm plugging everything in, in the right way and the right sequence. Nothing happens when i plug everything in. Can someone give me a step by step to linking my Mac to the heli.
Thanks Lee
I'm on a Mac runnning Windows XP inside VirtualBox. Works fine!
Did you install the USB driver in Windows? And did you tell Parallels to connect the USB stick to Windows instead of Mac OS?
Holly73 is offline Find More Posts by Holly73
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:54 AM
Marlborough UK, The World
Joined Apr 2010
197 Posts
Thanks for the reply Holly73
I did get it sorted last night. Being a Mac boy, drivers did not come to mind. Once i installed the USB driver, all was working fine
450 BOY is offline Find More Posts by 450 BOY
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:18 AM
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Dec 2011
105 Posts
Hi guys,
I have a problem with my elev-channel on the zyx-s. The channel does not react. All other channels(rudder,ail,pitch) are working fine. When I changed the plugs and put the pitch plug into the elev channel on the receiver, I could move the pitch servos by moving the elev-stick. So the receiver is not the problem. I also changed the plug and made a new one on the elev-cable. But also this had no effect. The elev-channel is dead. Did I do sth. wrong or is my gyro defect? Any suggestions?
Regards,
me
warbird_one is offline Find More Posts by warbird_one
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:24 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,075 Posts
Muskoka1:

I am not using DSMX I am using DSM2.

The instructions I am referring to are the ones on the receiver set up page of the Tarot 3.0 software. . All I had to do was plug the sat in, put the jumper in, power up the Unit then hold the binding button in when I powered um my DX7. After the SAT gave me a solid light I removed the jumper, and it has been working ever since.

I did have a little trouble setting the endpoints on MY hobbywing ESC. The unit takes so long to initialize when powered up the ESC faults out. I solved this by powering the unit up with a battery first to get it to initialize . Move the throttle stick to full power, plug in the esc, after it beeps then move the stick to low power. it will beep again and you are good to go.

I had to reverse my servo direction for the throttle as well.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
I am not using DSMX I am using DSM2.

The instructions I am referring to are the ones on the receiver set up page of the Tarot 3.0 software. . All I had to do was plug the sat in, put the jumper in, power up the Unit then hold the binding button in when I powered um my DX7. After the SAT gave me a solid light I removed the jumper, and it has been working ever since.
Ya, I realize your using DSM2, there's no issue at all when using DSMX, I wouldn't have asked. Like I said, I think your the first to have it work as it's supposed to with a DSM2, your lucky. There are lots of guys at HeliFreaks as well that can't get it to work at all, let alone bind and work straight up. If I try to bind direct to the Gyro, all you get is a flashing yellow light and you can't get rid of it. No amount of pressing the reset button helps. The only way I can get them to work is bind to a full receiver first and then spend an hour fiddling around until it works. Most just give up and sell them, the Gyro that is.

Another funny thing is the only setting that works is DSM2-1 which they list as being for the DX7 etc. and binding directly to the Gyro. If I select any of the DX8 settings which are DSM2-2, DSM2-3 and DSM2-4 which you use when binding to an external receiver first, are all messed up. The channel assignments are all wrong. I have selected DSM2-1 and tried to bind with the Orange and Spektrum satellite and those settings don't work. The only way it works is binding to a full receiver and then using the DSM2-1setting which is totally backward to what they suggest.

edit: Just tried again as your describing above and like everyone else all you get is a yellow light flashing on the top of the gyro and you cannot connect to the software. Then, I bind to a full receiver first, get the yellow light, press the reset button on the side of the gyro, light turns solid blue, connect to software and carry on. This is the only procedure that works for me, and a few others until now.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Last edited by Muskoka1; Aug 31, 2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,075 Posts
Prior to plugging the sat in I powered the unit up and pressed the "set" button for about a second then I connected -and then used setup to select DSM2-1.Powered down, plugged the sat and binding jumper in and powered up.

On a different subject, I was trying to tune out the wobbles. once they started the got worse. The higher the head speed the worse it got. I thought I had a vibration problem, so I made a piece of metal up and sandwiched it between two double sided tape pieces- it just got worse.

The gyro was shaking on the cheap spongy rubber mounting pads and amplififying the wobble.

The solution was to put a piece of servo tape on the side and on the bottom and attach the servo to the helicopter in the corner (in two planes) so it cant shake around.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:24 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post

The solution was to put a piece of servo tape on the side and on the bottom and attach the servo to the helicopter in the corner (in two planes) so it cant shake around.
What an interesting and novel idea! Makes me curious what mounting on 3 sides would improve!

Glad your issue is sorted : )

Ken
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,075 Posts
If you think about it 2 sides holds it in all 3 axises.

DR. M. recommended this stuff in another thread.Anything would beat that spongy foam that is supplied with the unit.

http://www.readyheli.com/search.asp?keyword=Zeal
Last edited by fpainter3; Aug 31, 2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:01 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
My HK450 with a ZYX-S with 3.50 firmware and a Futaba S9257 has developed a tail hold problem.

After less than a minute of flight a couple times, the gyro or ZYX tail hold stops working, and goes into like a 3-5 RPM pirouette with no response from the stick. I can still control the cyclic and ESC.

I was getting tail wag problems for the past few flights, and rebuilt the tail and put in a new belt. It helped for two more flights with some wag, but now it fails.

Does this sound like the servo? It the heli has been working well for a year, and has over 300 flights on it (100 or so with the ZYX-S). The servo has never been warm to the touch. Also, the servo has been running at 6V all this time. Everyone does it, I'm told. Perhaps I shouldn't do that any more.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Aug 31, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: 6v
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:31 AM
Lithuania
Joined Mar 2009
220 Posts
Maybe it has some static isues? Try to ground the tail boom.
DerClown is offline Find More Posts by DerClown
Old Sep 01, 2012, 07:14 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,075 Posts
I just had a GOTECH 9257 clone die yesterday. It never had any problems on the GA250 gyro it was attached to before. I set the ZYX-S to Analogue and put a GWS Park HPX-S in. It worked just as well. Maybe the ZYX-S works the servo too hard and it overheats.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:28 AM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
My HK450 with a ZYX-S with 3.50 firmware and a Futaba S9257 has developed a tail hold problem.

After less than a minute of flight a couple times, the gyro or ZYX tail hold stops working, and goes into like a 3-5 RPM pirouette with no response from the stick. I can still control the cyclic and ESC.

I was getting tail wag problems for the past few flights, and rebuilt the tail and put in a new belt. It helped for two more flights with some wag, but now it fails.

Does this sound like the servo? It the heli has been working well for a year, and has over 300 flights on it (100 or so with the ZYX-S). The servo has never been warm to the touch. Also, the servo has been running at 6V all this time. Everyone does it, I'm told. Perhaps I shouldn't do that any more.
Check your servo and all your connections first and then get into the other stuff. Many times its the simplest thing that goes wrong. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I'll look at the connections & try a new servo, thanks!
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:30 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
Does anyone know what the "agility" setting does? The one to the left of the gain on the ZYX main screen?
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Sep 01, 2012, 03:52 PM
Mildly Confused
UK
Joined Oct 2008
1,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
Does anyone know what the "agility" setting does? The one to the left of the gain on the ZYX main screen?
Yes, it is used to increase or decrease the agility of the model.
Paul 1968 is offline Find More Posts by Paul 1968