HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:50 AM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,032 Posts
Still tweaking some settings on my 450 with the software. Just about got it dialed in. I was wondering about dual rates and expo. I don't know much about these and have set mine to the ZYX-S manual recommended 40% on elevator and aileron. I'm at 0% for rudder. What do these do, and what effect would it have if I were to increase or decrease these values? I noticed in Simon's ZYX setup video, he uses 20% for elevator, aileron and rudder.

Also wanted to know about the gains. I am using Solar D654 servo's for cyclic's and I have had to gradually decrease my roll and pitch gains from 40 down to 25 to prevent oscillation. Seems to have done the trick. I have heard that if you have cheaper servo's those values will be lower than values used on more expensive servo's. Just wanted to make sure my values weren't too low.

I was still getting a tail wag during my hover checks and seemed to have got that tamed down some, but still there. Going to test out an upgrade I did on my tail later today and see if it helps. I found I had some play in the plastic tail servo control arm where it connects to the bearing hub ball. I ordered and replaced the servo control arm, bearing hub and tail linkage rods with metal ones and it seems to be much tighter and has less play. Hopefully this will help get rid of the remaining tail wag.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Last edited by nascar1929; Aug 30, 2012 at 06:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:23 AM
Marlborough UK, The World
Joined Apr 2010
161 Posts
Hi guys,
I have set up my heli with the programme box no probs.
But now i want to upgrade the firm ware with the USB cable, i can't get it to link with my Laptop. I'm using a Mac with Parallels and Windows XP Got johns software loaded. I don't know if i'm plugging everything in, in the right way and the right sequence. Nothing happens when i plug everything in. Can someone give me a step by step to linking my Mac to the heli.
Thanks Lee
450 BOY is offline Find More Posts by 450 BOY
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:35 AM
asp
Spain, CN, La Oliva
Joined Apr 2012
235 Posts
Buddy code... Link
asp is offline Find More Posts by asp
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, KS, Galva
Joined Apr 2010
7 Posts
Head speed

Hi everyone, what is the best head speed for the ZYX . It seems like for me a to low of head speed causes wobbles. (referring to regular flight mode not idle up). In idle up no wobble.
Wedel is offline Find More Posts by Wedel
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
2,983 Posts
Initially I had low speed wobbles on a HK600 with the older firmware I increased the D gain a little and it helped. When I went to the 3.5 FW I set the D gain back to 10 and it has worked well ever since.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
My TargetHobby sat just arrived today. It bound perfectly per the instructions in the software.
Are the Spektrum RXs at TargetHobby legit? That is a killer price. I picked up an OrangeRX satellit but would be willing to get a 6200 from Target Hobbie if it was legit and bind with just they satellite connected to the ZYX-S.
CopterCrazy is online now Find More Posts by CopterCrazy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:32 PM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
708 Posts
Hello All,

Quick question on the setting I should target to fix a slight roll issue. I had a minor tip over with my 450pro a few weeks ago and have since fixed the heli. I also switched my Align flybar blades to Tarot FBL blades. Ever since the fix/blade switch, the heli rolls to the left ever so slightly. I've tried playing around with main rotor roll/pitch gains and gyro p&i for roll/pitch. I've been successful at making go from current state of slight roll to worse and then back to slight roll. But I can't seem to eliminate the slow roll to the left. What setting should I target to try to eliminate the roll? Judging by the tail fin and sound, the heli had little to no vibs.

pootman
pootman is offline Find More Posts by pootman
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterCrazy View Post
Are the Spektrum RXs at TargetHobby legit? That is a killer price. I picked up an OrangeRX satellit but would be willing to get a 6200 from Target Hobbie if it was legit and bind with just they satellite connected to the ZYX-S.
The spelling on the case says "SPEKTRUM" they may be clones, but I think Spektrum is dumping the DSM2 stuff through them just like they did the "JR SCANSELECT" 72MHZ receivers a couple of years ago when they were making the changeover.

The SAT is $9.99 but you can get the AR6200 with SAT for $16.99. The receiver will work without a sat, so you can use it on a small FB heli or a Park plane.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 02:06 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Apr 2012
78 Posts
Quote:
The SAT is $9.99 but you can get the AR6200 with SAT for $16.99. The receiver will work without a sat, so you can use it on a small FB heli or a Park plane.
That was my thought too. Use the SAT with the ZYX and the RX on a plane. I am thinking about making a foamy.

I read thread where they may be counterfeit but the just of it was they work. Just may have to put a dab of glue to help hold the antenna wires down. If they are counterfeit, it sticks a bit and I think they would be better off just marketing them like HK does with with the OrangeRX line.
CopterCrazy is online now Find More Posts by CopterCrazy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
654 Posts
Quote:
Based on this quote I bought a used genuine SAT for $20.

My TargetHobby sat just arrived today. It bound perfectly per the instructions in the software.
I did not have to pre-bind to a receiver or anything like that at all.

now I will have an extra sat. at least it works
Well, tried many more times and was finally able to get the Spektrum DSM2 sat to work. It took about an hour of fiddling around to get it to work right. It would not work at all without first binding to a full receiver. Even then, when hooking just the sat to the zyx-s it would flash yellow and after many attempts of pressing the reset button on the side of the gyro I was able to get a solid blue light so I could connect to the software. Even after getting to that stage the servos were unresponsive. A few more power offs and on and got to the point where I can turn on the DX8, plug in the battery, and have everything working correctly. This looks like it may just be a DX8 issue, as this radio is tough to bind under normal conditions. I have about 20 different Spektrum/Orange receivers on different planes and helis and the binding process is always hit and miss, never had a problem with the DX6i. Radio is only a couple months old and the serial number is not even close to the recall units. Very strange, although everyone seems to be having issues getting DSM2 sats to work correctly, strange you got it to work without issue, think your the first. DSMX seem to work without any issues.

Glen

edit:
Quote:
It bound perfectly per the instructions in the software.
Which instructions are you specifically speaking of, just curious, in case it's different from the instructions I've/we've been using without success.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Last edited by Muskoka1; Aug 30, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Apr 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
Still tweaking some settings on my 450 with the software. Just about got it dialed in. I was wondering about dual rates and expo. I don't know much about these and have set mine to the ZYX-S manual recommended 40% on elevator and aileron. I'm at 0% for rudder. What do these do, and what effect would it have if I were to increase or decrease these values? I noticed in Simon's ZYX setup video, he uses 20% for elevator, aileron and rudder.

Also wanted to know about the gains. I am using Solar D654 servo's for cyclic's and I have had to gradually decrease my roll and pitch gains from 40 down to 25 to prevent oscillation. Seems to have done the trick. I have heard that if you have cheaper servo's those values will be lower than values used on more expensive servo's. Just wanted to make sure my values weren't too low.

I was still getting a tail wag during my hover checks and seemed to have got that tamed down some, but still there. Going to test out an upgrade I did on my tail later today and see if it helps. I found I had some play in the plastic tail servo control arm where it connects to the bearing hub ball. I ordered and replaced the servo control arm, bearing hub and tail linkage rods with metal ones and it seems to be much tighter and has less play. Hopefully this will help get rid of the remaining tail wag.
The expo values are used to customise the mid stick response, and in general they are used to reduce the sensitivity around mid stick. If you are using a spektrum radio, then you will need to input a positive expo number to reduce the sensitivity of the mid stick response. The value would be a negative number to do the same on a Futaba radio. The effect is only around the mid stick it does not effect overall throws you could say it makes the heli nicer to fly though there are a minority that will not use expo at all. Figures around 30% are a good starting point and can be adjusted to how you like the feel of the heli.

The reduction in overall gains is normal for that type of servo on a 450, I slowly reduce the gain till it flies well and does not oscillate. A value of 25 seems a bit low but if it is flying ok then it should be alright. Maybe someone else with that type of setup could comment
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:02 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
The expo values are used to customise the mid stick response, and in general they are used to reduce the sensitivity around mid stick. If you are using a spektrum radio, then you will need to input a positive expo number to reduce the sensitivity of the mid stick response. The value would be a negative number to do the same on a Futaba radio. The effect is only around the mid stick it does not effect overall throws you could say it makes the heli nicer to fly though there are a minority that will not use expo at all. Figures around 30% are a good starting point and can be adjusted to how you like the feel of the heli.

The reduction in overall gains is normal for that type of servo on a 450, I slowly reduce the gain till it flies well and does not oscillate. A value of 25 seems a bit low but if it is flying ok then it should be alright. Maybe someone else with that type of setup could comment
Thanks Busher for the response. I have changed my expo from 40% to 30% on elevator and aileron and rudder from 0% to 30%. Will test it out and see how it does.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:07 PM
Fixed and rotary wing flyer
United States, CA, Newark
Joined Sep 2011
161 Posts
I'm thinking about converting my EXI450 Pro to FBL and am seriously considering this unit. But I read this from pg. 1 and it got my attention: "Note: This gyro does not have a total limit setting or a cyclic ring, so it is not possible to stop binding at stick corners

Is this still true with fw 3.5? Is there a workaround for this?
fabric8 is offline Find More Posts by fabric8
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:35 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
2,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabric8 View Post
I'm thinking about converting my EXI450 Pro to FBL and am seriously considering this unit. But I read this from pg. 1 and it got my attention: "Note: This gyro does not have a total limit setting or a cyclic ring, so it is not possible to stop binding at stick corners

Is this still true with fw 3.5? Is there a workaround for this?
There is no cyclic ring, I just went through this. I had to file and fit some components to minimize the binding at max pitch,max cyclic.
I am running a cheap hobbyking head kit on my 450. The swash drive arms are too short. If you get a good head (tarot, or Align)it should have plenty of bind free travel.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:39 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
2,983 Posts
I just got my 450 all tuned, 33 main gain
Advamced 78,80,27. gyro deadband 20.

It flies great.
It took a while(4 packs) to get the wobbles out- I have cheap cyclic servos so my gain cant be very high.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg90.html