HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:40 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,765 Posts
Yes they are.
when I connect the usb fob to the unit I can now get the red LED to stay on but nothing else happens nor can I get it to connect to the PC software.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:03 PM
Philippines, NCR, Taguig
Joined Aug 2011
107 Posts
ZYX Update Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
Yes they are.
when I connect the usb fob to the unit I can now get the red LED to stay on but nothing else happens nor can I get it to connect to the PC software.
No need to connect to the software. Try this instructions by Mike.

Note on step number 5.. don't release the set button until the upgrade has finished. I'm surprised it's not stated in the manual.

Regards,
Arey
Arey is offline Find More Posts by Arey
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
For those that are having trouble updating firmware via the usb can I say this... your never going to get it working if you cannot get the software to talk to the gyro on the correct com port like you would to program it from new.

If you cannot find the right com port and connect and get the green connected lights on the screen then you need to sort this first.

Once you have this part done and it's connected, load the firmware file from where ever you downloaded it.

Power down the heli (ie unplug the battery).....don't touch the software...leave it connected with the green lights.

Re power the heli (ie plug in the battery) whilst holding the button down on the gyro.

Once the gyro is flashing red, let the button go and then click upgrade in the software.

You don't need to keep the button held down during the upgrade, it's only to get you into the right mode (ie red light flashing).

Hope that helps.
ahamay is offline Find More Posts by ahamay
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Philippines, NCR, Taguig
Joined Aug 2011
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
For those that are having trouble updating firmware via the usb can I say this... your never going to get it working if you cannot get the software to talk to the gyro on the correct com port like you would to program it from new.

If you cannot find the right com port and connect and get the green connected lights on the screen then you need to sort this first.

You don't need to keep the button held down during the upgrade, it's only to get you into the right mode (ie red light flashing).

Hope that helps.
I assumed he already knows the correct port since he did it the first time.

I kept the button pressed until the upgrade has finished on mine because when I let go, it stops flashing. I guess the more appropriate is to "press and hold the set button, don't release yet until you click upgrade".

Regards,
Arey
Arey is offline Find More Posts by Arey
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:36 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,765 Posts
That would probably would worked if I could get it to do something , like connect to the software.

And yes I am quite aware that it needs to be on the correct com , mine uses com3.

the problem is the firmware update bricked my unit , I know that I've read on one of these threads where guys have done this same thing and brought them back I just can't find the post using the search feature.

I have 8 of these units and this is the first one I decided to update with the 3.5v firmware update , to say the least I won't be trying to update any of my others now as it is clear they don't have all the bugs worked out of it.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
That would probably would worked if I could get it to do something , like connect to the software.
And yes I am quite aware that it needs to be on the correct com , mine uses com3.
the problem is the firmware update bricked my unit , I know that I've read on one of these threads where guys have done this same thing and brought them back I just can't find the post using the search feature.
I have 8 of these units and this is the first one I decided to update with the 3.5v firmware update , to say the least I won't be trying to update any of my others now as it is clear they don't have all the bugs worked out of it.
My last post was not aimed at you just for people in general as I"m sure a lot of the firmware upgrade failures are from not following the correct procedure or you have a corrupted firmware file or there was some communications failure via the usb during the update process.

Did you get the message popup after it updated saying it was completed ?

There are instructions somewhere from people that have revived a failed update, I think you have to flash the old version firmware. I'll see if I can find it or someone else might have it handy.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,047 Posts
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,047 Posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Quote:

You should be able to re-flash a failed firmware by using john_nz software.

- load up software (find the correct com port maby on one of your working units)
- load up the firmware file (consider redowloading this or reflashing the v3 version
- plug in usb
- repower gyro with button held untill it goes into firware update mode (flashing red)
-then select upload firmware in the software after you have the right com port.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,765 Posts
I said the h3ll with it and took the case apart and found that the set button had come apart inside the case , I can only guess that when this happened the 2 metal pieces shorted the unit out.

It appears to be nothing more then a poorly made set button that has ruined my unit, case closed
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskoka1 View Post
Here ya go.

Attachment 5115023

A little update...

I was able a while ago to get a Orange DSM2 sat to work with the zyx-s, so I bought some of the Spektrum DSM2 sats that TargetHobby had on sale. I was not successful in getting them to work. The Orange worked fine, the Spektrum sats, no luck. Would like to hear how others made out.

Glen
Based on this quote I bought a used genuine SAT for $20.

My TargetHobby sat just arrived today. It bound perfectly per the instructions in the software.
I did not have to pre-bind to a receiver or anything like that at all.

now I will have an extra sat. at least it works
Old Aug 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,047 Posts
Quote:
I said the h3ll with it and took the case apart and found that the set button had come apart inside the case , I can only guess that when this happened the 2 metal pieces shorted the unit out.

It appears to be nothing more then a poorly made set button that has ruined my unit, case closed
Probably the switch is normally closed.maybe if you wire a couple of leads to it you can still make it work with a jumper or an external switch.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,765 Posts
It will not power up at all , it's dead
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:13 PM
Canada, ON, Muskoka
Joined Jul 2011
667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpainter3 View Post
Based on this quote I bought a used genuine SAT for $20.

My TargetHobby sat just arrived today. It bound perfectly per the instructions in the software.
I did not have to pre-bind to a receiver or anything like that at all.

now I will have an extra sat. at least it works
What transmitter are you using, no such luck with a DX8. I may have to try again and make sure I have the Frame Rate selected properly in the DX8 before trying to bind, that's all I can think of.
Muskoka1 is offline Find More Posts by Muskoka1
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:36 AM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,047 Posts
DX7 using the DSM2-1 setting. I just followed the on screen instructions.

The DX8 uses the DSM2-2 maybe it is different. is there a DSM2/DSMX setting on the DX8?

All of the servos had to be reversed, including the throttle. My ESC seems to have a problem with the low endpoint so I had to adjust it as well.
Last edited by fpainter3; Aug 30, 2012 at 06:44 AM.