HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:03 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Ahamay,
I had exactly the same issue when I first set up my Tarot 450 and ZYX - it was exactly as you surmised - a not-strong-enough servo. In my case a DS520 sorted it all out, (I had similar issues with a couple of 450 SE V2's as well - also sorted with a better servo).
So long as you have a good strong servo, full pitch in either direction and a high headspeed you should be able to get a whip-free piro.
Sorry I can't help more.
Cheers,
Mike.
I've got a 520 on it and your right it does fix the problem because mine was ok after I upgraded, but for some reason somethings changed and now it's back.
ahamay is offline Find More Posts by ahamay
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Ahamay,

Assuming mechanics are in order, no binding and smooth, and that you're flying in HH mode, dropping your tail gain a few points on the Tx should cure the piro stall in FFF and whipping problem.
Thanks, I'll have a play around with that next time.

Cheers
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:27 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
@nascar1929
reduce your pitch and roll gains on the main page of the PC app.
Ok. Dropped those from 35 to 30. Took it back out and it was doing fine. Then all of a sudden I saw smoke coming from the nose of the heli. As I was landing it, It started oscillating again.

I unplugged the battery immediately and saw the smoke was coming from my ESC. Don't know what in the world is going on with that. Gonna take the ESC out and look it over.

Do I need to do anything with the Agility values on the pitch and roll when I change the gains?
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:35 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar1929 View Post
I unplugged the battery immediately and saw the smoke was coming from my ESC. Don't know what in the world is going on with that. Gonna take the ESC out and look it over.
If you need to barrow my smoke installation tool let me know I well send it to you
Ones you see smoke from your ESC the only thing you can do with it is gently place it in the trash.
After over 25years of Electronics work I've never been able to put the smoke back in.
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:39 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Jan 2012
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_heart View Post
If you need to barrow my smoke installation tool let me know I well send it to you
Ones you see smoke from your ESC the only thing you can do with it is gently place it in the trash.
After over 25years of Electronics work I've never been able to put the smoke back in.
Yeah I guess this one belongs in a trash can now.

And here I was trying to catch the magic smoke in a jar so I could put it back in the ESC! Dangit!!
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:42 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
918 Posts
You may want to take a look at your motor and test it to make sure it did not cause the smoke out.
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:18 PM
Head in the clouds
Joined Jan 2012
1,074 Posts
Just figured out the problem! I removed the ESC which was installed under the battery mount. It was a very tight fit. Due to vibrations, the carbon fiber side panel chaffed through the heat shrink and exposed the solder joint to the positive battery wire on the ESC. Since I am using a belt drive on my heli, I grounded my tail boom to the motor mount, then ran the ground wire to the negative battery wire on the ESC and soldered both to the banana connector. This must have caused the carbon frame to be a ground as well and when the positive wire chaffed through, it was making contact with the frame and shorting. Didn't realize CF was a conductor.

I plugged the battery in again to check everything over while the ESC was out of the frame. No more magic smoke and everything powered up and worked fine. I think I'm ok and will reinstall the ESC in a different location to prevent any more chaffing.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 07:56 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
Hi Guys, hope someone can help me out with an ongoing intermittent issue I have my my zyx-s and tarot pro v2. Basically the problem is that it will not turn to the right or pirouette right during forward or fast forward flight.... the nose gets to about 2pm and it will not go any further with full rudder until you pull some collective out to slow it down and then it will eventually whip around.

<snip>

Cheers
The tail not holding up in FFF can be headspeed related. The airflow from the tail has to be able to surpass the forward speed + main rotor torque to turn.
More headspeed gives more tail authority. Bigger tailblades can give similar results (i like the rectangular pro tailblades on my 450's)

If you want more torque from your servo, put the gyro "tail servo limits" to max and find out how far inward on the servo horn you still get enough tail pitch.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:16 PM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,113 Posts
So I am trying to update my ZYX to the 3.5 version firmware but when I click on the "open" button on the software screen I am not sure what to open to upgrade the firmware?
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:17 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,297 Posts
By the way, any of you have a working buddycode for the ZYX-S?

I need to chop off a few more flybars.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:19 PM
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
The tail not holding up in FFF can be headspeed related. The airflow from the tail has to be able to surpass the forward speed + main rotor torque to turn.
More headspeed gives more tail authority. Bigger tailblades can give similar results (i like the rectangular pro tailblades on my 450's)

If you want more torque from your servo, put the gyro "tail servo limits" to max and find out how far inward on the servo horn you still get enough tail pitch.
It's a PRO with the larger square tail blades. I"m running a 12t on a H2218 motor so the headspeed is around 3000. I've got a 13t pinion coming to try that.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:49 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
It's a PRO with the larger square tail blades. I"m running a 12t on a H2218 motor so the headspeed is around 3000. I've got a 13t pinion coming to try that.
Replace your tail blade holder bearings. They can feel fine on the ground but will seize in flight, causing binding.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 26, 2012, 08:57 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
By the way, any of you have a working buddycode for the ZYX-S?

I need to chop off a few more flybars.
It looks like HobbyKing have removed the buddycode from the ZYX-S again.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
United States, TX, Natalia
Joined May 2007
28 Posts
I just upgraded to the 3.5 on my tarot non-s and cannot get the pitch to be where I want it. I am just starting and would like to set it at -3 to +8. Can anyone help?
richb77 is offline Find More Posts by richb77
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:04 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb77 View Post
I just upgraded to the 3.5 on my tarot non-s and cannot get the pitch to be where I want it. I am just starting and would like to set it at -3 to +8. Can anyone help?
Set the collective pitch in the gyro to +/-12 degree (with a straight line pitch curve in your Tx), and then change the pitch curve in you Tx to get the -3 to +8 range you want to fly with. Make sure center stick is still zero pitch, as this will help you later when you are more experienced.