Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:49 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Thanks for all the condolences and kind words. I really appreciated them.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:03 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Hey, guys. Just a heads up as to why I haven't been around much lately and my apologizes to anyone I haven't had the time to reply too. My sister passed away in her sleep on Sunday night. She was perfectly healthy and just had a full medical checkup. Initial autopsy can find nothing wrong, so we now have to wait months for other tests like toxicology etc. to come though. My guess is it was too much caffeine from Guyana energy drinks and coffee, which caused a seizure. Perhaps we'll never know.

It's been good just reading the posts I missed, which has taken my mind off it for a while. Sorry for interrupting the discussions. I'll look forward to being more involved again soon.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you and your family find the strength to withstand such a blow. In lack of better wordings, the very best of luck to you beenflying.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
PHMX,
Both had been doing good other than tail bounce before doing the update on firmware. On both of the original test hovers after update I notice I had a tail drift against torque and was hoping it was a minor setup problem. I played w/ the PID, deadbands, gain, and not one thing has helped. In fact the new firmware did cause me one crash. I even went back to the original tail servo on one with no luck. I have grown tired of adjusting than flying so I yanked them out. I have been flying Helis since 1992 so I`m not new to setting them up. If I can get them lined out on my test bed heli then I may try again in the furture.

The drift problem is just like or similar to the CSM gyro drift problems.
Which is honestly part of why I didn't upgrade to newer firmware. Initial settings that work will have to be adjusted.

Leaving the settings as they were might not give the same results. So I can definitely understand how you've must have gotten fed up with the tweaking.

As for the drift problem itself, I am actually pretty confident it can be solved by adjusting the P, I and D gains. But I'd probably recommend changing back to the old firmware instead if you still have a good idea which settings worked best.

I'm still flying my two ZYX equipped 250s and I have yet to come across a good reason to update to the latest firmware. It's unfortunate that you had a crash though. What happened? Strong tail wag or oscillation?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:38 AM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Condolences

David, may comfort find your family soon.

Ken
Daddy. is online now Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Mar 2006
45 Posts
Sorry to hear about your sister BF, I worry about the same thing in my MRS as she is epileptic and they can have sudden unexplained epileptic death (SUED).

I am just getting into FBL - been flying helis for about 8 years now and have put a ZYX in my Trex 500. My head has a slight wobble oscilation and I have turned the gain down to 55, but I am concerned to go to low. What sort of settings is the unit ok with? Am I missing something, or can I go lower. It is not the same sort of oscilaiton that you get with high gain on the tail, but I wouldnt know what a high gain oscillation looks like on roll and pitch

Thanks.
Zoobie is offline Find More Posts by Zoobie
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:29 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoobie View Post
Sorry to hear about your sister BF, I worry about the same thing in my MRS as she is epileptic and they can have sudden unexplained epileptic death (SUED).

I am just getting into FBL - been flying helis for about 8 years now and have put a ZYX in my Trex 500. My head has a slight wobble oscilation and I have turned the gain down to 55, but I am concerned to go to low. What sort of settings is the unit ok with? Am I missing something, or can I go lower. It is not the same sort of oscilaiton that you get with high gain on the tail, but I wouldnt know what a high gain oscillation looks like on roll and pitch

Thanks.
yep, that wobble is caused by high cyclic gain. The numeric value of gain means nothing, as long as the heli flies well. Keep lowering that number until you get no more wobbles when the rotor is unloaded, or after sudden cyclic inputs. Just as a point of reference, I'd say most people fly with cyclic gains in the 25-35 range. YMMV
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Mar 2006
45 Posts
Thanks DR M, was just concerned about going so low that I was flying my fbl heli with no fbl unit!! But if numbers are so low I will keep going down. Just seemed that I had dropped so far down from the default settings.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Thanks DR M, was just concerned about going so low that I was flying my fbl heli with no fbl unit!! But if numbers are so low I will keep going down. Just seemed that I had dropped so far down from the default settings.
AFAIK default gain on Roll and Pitch is 40 for the 3D presets. Are we talking about the same thing?

I am referring to the gain sliders on the main page in the PC app, or the settings called "Total Gain" on the prog box.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2006
45 Posts
I was changing the gain in the advanced settings (using usb interface). I think the default is 80?
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
I was changing the gain in the advanced settings (using usb interface). I think the default is 80?
You're gonna want to put those advanced gains back to default and tweak the main gains first. Don't fiddle with the PID settings unless you really know what you're doing.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Jun 2012
267 Posts
I probably already know the answer to this but I'm going to check anyways. Is there any limitation of the programming box if you have setup the heli via the usb software.

ie. Can you setup the heli on the bench with the usb/software and then use the program box at the field to tweak the settings ?
ahamay is offline Find More Posts by ahamay
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Mar 2006
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahamay View Post
I probably already know the answer to this but I'm going to check anyways. Is there any limitation of the programming box if you have setup the heli via the usb software.

ie. Can you setup the heli on the bench with the usb/software and then use the program box at the field to tweak the settings ?

Not sure what capabilities the box has, but I just take my netbook to the field with me and tweak - seems a lot easier than the 3G that the other guys have at the field and I am sure it is cheaper to buy the usb cable than the programming box.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:53 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,066 Posts
The prog box can access almost all of the same functions as the software - the only ones that I can think of that aren't in the prog box are those relating to setting up the 2 different conditions. You can only access the currently active settings.
MikeHRC is online now Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Mar 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
The prog box can access almost all of the same functions as the software - the only ones that I can think of that aren't in the prog box are those relating to setting up the 2 different conditions. You can only access the currently active settings.
But on program box it is possible to switch between the two conditions (maybe): the condition setting is present, for sure, even if I haven't changed/used it yet.
Maybe changing the current condition you are able to program both of them also with the program box.

Question: yesterday on my X5 and ZYX-S (arrived with new firmware 3.5 flashed) I noticed the tail servo (MKS DS760) was quite hot.
In flight the tail was almost perfect (backward, forward, funnel, piroflips, etc.) and i haven't noticed any particular movement of the servo.

Someone else had/noticed this kind of problem?
I'm thinking to downgrade to previous firmware, i'm worried by temperature reached by servo.

Tnx
eriskio is online now Find More Posts by eriskio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 03:05 AM
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
@eriskio

FW 3.5 seems to heat up my tail servos too. I traced the problem to vibes. As soon as I fixed the tail bearings and rebalanced the whole thing, tail servo stays much cooler.