HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr_Flyer View Post
I think all of us with 250s have had to reduce the throws, you don't want to have to reduce them too much though, so if you need to go lower than 70-80 then you should move the balls in.
Lower than 70-80, that is where the gyro sits normally, At those throws in the gyro software I was getting the ridiculous throws. to get normal throws I was down to about 30% on the sliders.

What are your servo ball link lengths? I am at about 12.5, next hole in is 10.5, and going further in will just cause binding on the servo case, unless I move the ball to the outside of the servo horn.
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
United States, RI, Woonsocket
Joined Apr 2010
368 Posts
I have given up on the ZYX & ZYX-S. After updating to 3.5 the tail got easier to setup but it will not stop drifting against torque in a hover. I returned both too older firmware and one still drifts and one hunts in a hover. I have tried changing settings but nothing will stop it. I have even torn the tails apart on Helis and all is good and smooth. I yanked the ZYX`s out and installed my BeastXs and all is great. There is no drift or hunting with no tweaking on BeastX yet.

For now the ZYX`s will only go on my test bed Heli. The one ZYX-s on my Quad is not getting updated or changed untill it starts actting up. It looks like they need to do some more tweaking on firmware.
IFHELI is offline Find More Posts by IFHELI
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,018 Posts
I have the same behavior on my T-rex 600 tail. Flies fine, but the tail hunts around in hover. Maybe the dead-band settings? I haven't tried to tweak them yet.

On another subject, I just got some FalconHobby.com 555 FBL blades at IRCHA.
http://www.falconhobby.com/Main_blad...ess_FBL_9.html

Really nice blades- don't know where to buy them.

My helicopter is flying fine on these.
http://helidirect.com/550mm-pro-3d-f...de-p-11215.hdx

The FBL blades seem to be weighted so they are front heavy. Has anyone else noticed an improvement with FBL specific blades?
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Old Aug 19, 2012, 05:34 PM
Farmer
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Oct 2011
909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmracecars View Post
thats what im using on both my xyz-s
Thanks mmracecars,

Didnt want all these bulky wires on my heli so i'm going to switch to the satellite rx..
f.a.r.m.e.r is offline Find More Posts by f.a.r.m.e.r
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:35 PM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,067 Posts
Under the Monitor tab in the setup program, step 3 says to adjust the signals to be 0 by using the sub-trim or trim in your transmitter when the sticks are centered.

Do you do this in HH mode or Rate Mode or both?

For servo type, I'm using Solar D654 digital servo's on cyclics and a KST DS115MG for the tail. The KST says it is1520us, but I have no info on what the Solar servo's are. Do I go ahead and select the 3rd option in the list (Tail servo is 1520us digital, swash plate servo's are 1520us digital) since this appears to be the only option for the correct tail servo?
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Last edited by nascar1929; Aug 19, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Yes, Solar servos are 1520us.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:03 AM
Head in the clouds
United States, NC, Gastonia
Joined Jan 2012
1,067 Posts
Thank you Dr. M.
nascar1929 is offline Find More Posts by nascar1929
Old Aug 20, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Mar 2010
38 Posts
About the USB dongle: guys take care of the cable between ZYX and the USB dongle, because the small wires can be easily ripped of (and I've broken one ).

Anyway at the moment I have 3 Tarot XYZ-S installed because I feel really well with them. I've replaced my Microbeasts, as I think they are not precise and "direct" as ZYX are.
Just my personal opinion, obviously.
eriskio is offline Find More Posts by eriskio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmracecars View Post
thats what im using on both my xyz-s
That's great, but do they work with the ZYX-S, though?

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:27 AM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,112 Posts
So I have a ZYX non-s and want to update it to the new firmware. I am using the usb cable and software. Can anyone walk me through how to do this or point me in the right direction? I am unfortunately not all that great with computers.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:54 AM
United States, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Jan 2012
282 Posts
taorot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
That's great, but do they work with the ZYX-S, though?

chewy
they should ,there pretty similar units
mmracecars is offline Find More Posts by mmracecars
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:34 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriskio View Post
About the USB dongle: guys take care of the cable between ZYX and the USB dongle, because the small wires can be easily ripped of (and I've broken one ).

Anyway at the moment I have 3 Tarot XYZ-S installed because I feel really well with them. I've replaced my Microbeasts, as I think they are not precise and "direct" as ZYX are.
Just my personal opinion, obviously.
that's an interesting point of view... ZYX better than BX
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:44 PM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuntanaS View Post
So I have a ZYX non-s and want to update it to the new firmware. I am using the usb cable and software. Can anyone walk me through how to do this or point me in the right direction? I am unfortunately not all that great with computers.
Here is the instruction posted in this forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4014

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Aug 20, 2012, 04:54 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFHELI View Post
I have given up on the ZYX & ZYX-S. After updating to 3.5 the tail got easier to setup but it will not stop drifting against torque in a hover. I returned both too older firmware and one still drifts and one hunts in a hover. I have tried changing settings but nothing will stop it. I have even torn the tails apart on Helis and all is good and smooth. I yanked the ZYX`s out and installed my BeastXs and all is great. There is no drift or hunting with no tweaking on BeastX yet.

For now the ZYX`s will only go on my test bed Heli. The one ZYX-s on my Quad is not getting updated or changed untill it starts actting up. It looks like they need to do some more tweaking on firmware.
Did you try to increase the collective to tail compensation value? Sounds like you either did not or the tail servo simply isn't centered properly and at zero pitch at neutral rudder stick. Doing the radio calibration in the PC software also is key to eliminate any slow rudder drift.

Last but not least, it might simply be servo incompatibility. Some servos really do work a tenfold better than others.

It's pretty easy to get the tail to hold, especially in normal flight. It's a little bit more tricky to get it to hold in idle-up, but it can definitely be set up to hold even in more serious 3D.

In fact, you don't need the latest firmware for that either, as I'm using one of the older firmware updates actually. Call me old fashioned, but why try to fix what's not really all that broken? New features might introduce new bugs too. More importantly, I'm getting great pirouettes (got to admit that they're not entirely flat in both directions though, left pirouettes are more stable) and never had any take-off flip overs (I just compensate by steering however I think I have to, no problems), ESC binding problems or other issues with the Tarot ZYX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
that's an interesting point of view... ZYX better than BX
And yet we all know that views like that rarely really make much sense though.

I'm flying the BeastX as well and while I like messing with the Tarot ZYX as a near low-budget alternative and am in fact very impressed with it so far, the BeastX really is a much better unit. It's easily more reliable in hardcore 3D, very accurate at all times, with a lot more room to increase the total gains. Based on all that I'd say the firmware seem to be much more mature.

I don't think they really differ that much in feel to be honest, as both feel direct and accurate to me, but I guess it goes to show that a lot comes down to getting the right settings dialed in.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Aug 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
219 Posts
More questions (thank you!):

1) What setting for servo type?
(Tail is Align DS520; Swash are Henge MD933. Both digital, but what micro-second frequency?)

2) Do I lose transmitter-adjustable gains if I use a satellite receiver?

3) Where can I buy the programmer-to-USB cable for updating the programmer, like on page 189?
(IFHELI: What did you try that went wrong and bricked the CopterX programmer?)

4) Is the following the latest versions available?
-PC Software (official): "ZYX3.0EN"
-ZYX-S Firmware: "ZYX-S 3.5"
-Programmer: "ZYXprogrammer_302"

Thanks again!
TweakRacer is offline Find More Posts by TweakRacer