Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:07 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
edit: Quite wrong, there does seem to be programming box updates available: http://www.0577mx.com/news_view.asp?clsid=15&id=267

From what I understand you'll need a USB programming dongle to do the firmware updating of the field programming box.

It might very well be that doing a cross-brand flash of the firmware (ie. upgrading a Tarot ZYX unit with CopterX firmware or vice versa) will render the programming boxes unusable. From reading this thread I'd say that's been confirmed.
Again, I don't have a programming box, but at least this seems to be true for the USB dongles when using the official softwares.

Please keep in mind that fbl-net.nz is not an official place to get the latest official software or the official updates for that matter. From what I can tell, and this is not meant to be trolling of any kind, his software isn't updated to fully support the new ZYX-S yet.

I'd advise you to use the official software, unless you run into problems connecting or updating your flybarless controller.

Please refer to the official site for official updates: http://www.0577mx.com/news.asp?clsid=15

Be sure you pick the correct one for either ZYX or ZYX-S.

(you can use Google translate if necessary using Chrome)

You should probably uninstall that USB driver too before plugging anything in and go with the one included in the software instead, it's in the Driver folder once you unpack / install the v3.0 software.

The Tarot ZYX-S v3.5 firmware from what I can tell works fine, but you'll definitely need to re-adjust your settings to prevent any serious cyclic oscillation issues:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4039
Used John's software for my ZYXS and it's working fine. Have not upgraded to 3.5 as of yet, but am going to wait a bit before doing that as it's flying just fine now. (TREX 450 Pro)
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,013 Posts
Alright guys, A couple quick questions.

This is my first FBL unit like this. I had previously owned a 3G that had a satellite input on the side, and it bound up like a normal DSMX reciever, nice and simple.

First off, how would I do the satellite on this? If I do a satellite How do I set it up and wire all the servos? just simply of the Gyro? I see that if I dont use a Satellite I have to seperate (?) a wire from the esc and use one red, one black, and one white. I am not sure, I'm just a little confused here.

Now, is it possible to use a standard 6ch DSMX rx (no satellite port) and wire it up to the ZYX-s, then attach a Satellite to the ZYX-s unit for extra comfort and signal?

Please help!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:56 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,039 Posts
"Now, is it possible to use a standard 6ch DSMX rx (no satellite port) and wire it up to the ZYX-s, then attach a Satellite to the ZYX-s unit for extra comfort and signal?"

Why not just use one additional cable and run it in mormal RX mode?

I could do that as well, I just want to see if it works with a sat.

A 6110 receiver is $6.99 at TargetHobby.com.
A satelite is $9.99
A 6200 with sat is $16.95

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs...olesalers.html

The cheapest way to go is definately the 6110, the safest way is the 6200. I dont know DSMX prices.
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Last edited by fpainter3; Aug 16, 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,013 Posts
hmmm... I wonder i those 6200 rx's are real.... I have never found a price that low for one. And I have ad bad luck with "orange" rx's.

I guess I'll just use one of my normal rx's.

Now the question is, How the hell do I set up this FBL unit? As mentioned I set up a straight forward Align 3G unit, and it didnt have any of this disconnecting servo wires and spreading it out stuff....

When I bought my ZYX-s It did not come with instrutcions, but it did come with a USB cable....? I also paid for one thinking it didn't come with it! so now I have two.

I read the beginning of the thread, but still have many questions. I will down load Johns (?) software now, but other than that I dont have much of an Idea how to set this puppy up.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:09 PM
USA, KY, Florence
Joined Aug 2007
3,039 Posts
I have used the ones from TargetHobby.com , they work great, but shipping is $7. so a 6200 with sat is around $24
The ones from Aliexpress are unknown but $10 less.

I am out of town now, but I have a ZYX-s a FBL Head and a sat wainting at home for me. I am going to IRCHA Saturday and Sunday- so I wont get to fool around with it for a while.

The Tarot 3.0(download from Tarot Website) software has the hooks for the sat, I dont know about the JNZ software.
I would also upgrade the firmware to 3.5.(links about 8 pages back)
fpainter3 is offline Find More Posts by fpainter3
Last edited by fpainter3; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asolof View Post
That happened to me. Turned out the gyro was bad and needed replacement.
I am sure that is what I am going to have to do. There is nothing else I can do in my radio. I have ZERO'ed EVERYTHING!!! I bumped the endpoints to well over 100%!!!!!

This cheap chinese is very frustrating!

I should have bought a Skookum
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:35 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseman View Post
I am sure that is what I am going to have to do. There is nothing else I can do in my radio. I have ZERO'ed EVERYTHING!!! I bumped the endpoints to well over 100%!!!!!

for a mere $3, save your self the headache and also when you get it, update the firmware. Use the software to program your gyro. It's so much easier.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Adapter_.html

and dont bump anything over a 100% it's just pointless
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:43 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,835 Posts
Quote:

I wonder if later versions support the Tx programming, especially in the ZYX-S, which comes with a USB adaptor.

How long are you holding the stick across when you power up the gyro. IIRC, it was quite a long time to get into program mode. The initial light flashing fools you to let the stick go too soon. Wait for the second set of flashes.

Like pitchp suggests, get the PC USB adapter. It's worth the $5. Infinity Hobby has it as well, and shipping is same day (allowing for time zone):
http://www.infinity-hobby.com/main/p...oducts_id=7935
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
219 Posts
Wow, thank you!

Wow, what a wonderful group here. Very responsive and helpful!

Thank you MikeHRC and PHMX!

Okay, so trying to use the most current software/firmware:

1) For the PC software, I am running the Tarot v3.0 (EN/English) edition with its USB-Serial driver. When JNZ's software fully supports the ZYX-S, I may switch over (at least the English will be English, hahaha).

2) I am using the ZYX manual from Tarot (no ZYX-S specific to be found), supplemented by the JNZ's FBL manual which explains each function in the PC software.

3) For the ZYX-S, I will update to the ZYX-S v3.5 firmware.

4) For the programmer, I will update to ZYX Programmer v3.02 firmware (latest I could find; and no ZYX-S specific version either) using the instructions on p. 189 of this thread. Is there somewhere I can buy the cable between the programmer and USB dongle, instead of hacking my own?
(IFHELI: How did you brick the CopterX programmer anyways? I'd like to avoid doing that to my only programmer.)

5) For the receiver, I'm just going to use my Spektrum AR6255 from one of my molded slope gliders. Then I can have reliable performance (read: "non-Orange"), easy binding (the satellites seem to be troublesome), and transmitter adjustable gains (not available when using satellites, right?).

6) For servo settings in the PC application, which do I pick? Cyclics are Henge MD933 digital and tail is Align DS520 digital.

Thank you, all! Cheers!
TweakRacer is offline Find More Posts by TweakRacer
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:13 AM
Radian, Polaris, Mistaken ID.
Japan (Military)
Joined Nov 2010
384 Posts
thank you guys for all the suggestions. went through the entire radio again. no joy. Tried two different receivers... no joy. Ordered the USB. the gyro seems to be working. Just can not get into the setup menu. I held the stick for a long time.
Thanks again.
Baseman is offline Find More Posts by Baseman
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,205 Posts
Quote:

What SKookum you have in mind ? Skookum uses PC software to setup the gyro. So does zyx & zyx-s. It is better for you to run PC software to setup zyx. Using TX is the traditional method but not as easy as PC software.

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
If anyone is in need of the USB programmeing dongle, let me know as I have one too many. Will send it free of charge.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Aug 17, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thnilsen View Post
If anyone is in need of the USB programmeing dongle, let me know as I have one too many. Will send it free of charge.

- Thomas
+1 me too...

Hobby-wing didn't list the USB dongle as being included with the gyro, so I added one to my order... Now I have two.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
+1 me too...

Hobby-wing didn't list the USB dongle as being included with the gyro, so I added one to my order... Now I have two.
same here.
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Nov 2010
4,013 Posts
Alright guys. Super lost....

I never got instructions with my gyro. So here I am confused as all hell how to update software. Or how to even connect it to the computer. I read the first page and can't find a beginners guide. It is as if everyone already knows how this thing goes together, and I am totally lost.

Other than what connects from the RX to the gyro, I am lost. I see from the Jr/Spektrum wiring picture that the 3 wire goes here and the other two go there, etc etc. But I do now know which of the other 4 channels go to what (rudder servo, or ail servo etc) I have no Idea where to down load the software (not John's software, as I understand I can not update the 3.5 with it) Nor do I know where to even find the software to install the driver etc so I can even plug in the Gyro.

Then I see posts like http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=21863520&postcount=3286 and I have NO idea what Set up window he is talking about...

I dont even care if it is 3.5 at this point, or Johns software... I just want to know where to start!

Someone please hold my hand and walk me through this.... I am seriously in the dark with no instructions at all....
Last edited by Jwmflying14; Aug 17, 2012 at 08:44 PM.