HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:46 PM
United States, NJ, Vineland
Joined Aug 2011
135 Posts
RedOctobyr,

Thanks for responding. When I said I checked it on the ground, I did exactly what you described. I did it again tonight to triple check it and I even compared the tail movements to another flybarred, single axis gyro 450 that I have which flys well. All movements, both stick and gyro compensation are in the correct directions. The only difference I observed in the tail movements of the 2 helicopters was that the flybarred/single axis gyro helicopter made a full rapid compensation to piveting the tail, compared to a partial compensation with the Tarot gyro equipped flybarless helicopter.

But there is something drastically wrong with it because it is totally unflyable. I can't even get it to lift off the ground without it toppling over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
How are you checking the compensation directions on the ground? It's not just checking that the swashplate moves in the correction direction when you move the sticks, of course.

Hold the heli in your hand, the swashplate should be parallel to the floor. Now quickly tilt it forward, the swashplate should tilt backwards, and remain parallel to the floor. It will then gradually bring itself back to "neutral", if you keep the heli tilted forward.

Hold the heli upright again, and quickly tilt it to the right, the swashplate should tilt left, and stay parallel to the floor.

Also double-check your tail correction direction. Put it in Heading Hold, and move the tail to one side. The tail pitch should change in the correct direction. Personally, I rotate the tail so that the tail blades are out straight, and vertical. If you swing the tail to the right, the upper tail blade's leading edge (which faces off the back of the heli) should tilt towards where the tail was originally located, trying to bring the tail back in that direction. Swing the tail off to the left, and the pitch should change in the other direction, but still have the leading edge pointing towards the original tail location, trying to bring itself back there.
asolof is offline Find More Posts by asolof
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
I just noticed... Congrats on your promotion, bf!
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:28 PM
Everyone is an idiot (or I am)
United States, TX, Red Oak
Joined Jun 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.m View Post
i just noticed... Congrats on your promotion, bf!
+ 1
Daddy. is offline Find More Posts by Daddy.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:18 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Thanks, guys. I was really thrilled to be nominated by pitchp and to be accepted by RCG's admin. It made my day when I logged in this morning and saw that I was now a plus member.

Hopefully a lot more will be given the same status, when the system kicks off fully in the future, because there are many more here that deserve it.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:18 AM
Philippines, NCR, Taguig
Joined Aug 2011
107 Posts
RCG Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Thanks, guys. I was really thrilled to be nominated by pitchp and to be accepted by RCG's admin. It made my day when I logged in this morning and saw that I was now a plus member.

Hopefully a lot more will be given the same status, when the system kicks off fully in the future, because there are many more here that deserve it.
As colorful as it is, who would not notice . I'm happy for you too David Congrats!
Arey is offline Find More Posts by Arey
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arey View Post
As colorful as it is, who would not notice . I'm happy for you too David Congrats!
Thanks, Arey. Hehe, gold and carbon fiber, they call it. I was expecting a little box, like the bronze, silver and gold subscriptions.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:13 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gillingham
Joined Feb 2010
53 Posts
sat problem

hi folks finally found the solution to the sat binding i have tried for ages to get the zyx-s to work with a dsm2 sat (no luck) then i got a second hand AR6210 DSMX rx/sat and everything now works (i wonder how many people have had results with dsm2 sats. does the zyx only work with dsmx....mick b/f nice to see some recognition of your hard work
noddyflyer is offline Find More Posts by noddyflyer
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:50 AM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noddyflyer View Post
hi folks finally found the solution to the sat binding i have tried for ages to get the zyx-s to work with a dsm2 sat (no luck) then i got a second hand AR6210 DSMX rx/sat and everything now works (i wonder how many people have had results with dsm2 sats. does the zyx only work with dsmx....mick b/f nice to see some recognition of your hard work
I'm using AR6210 with sat and all works great so far!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:14 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gillingham
Joined Feb 2010
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
I'm using AR6210 with sat and all works great so far!
im just using the sat in a 250pro,the ar6210 will go in the 450devil pro with the zyx...mick
noddyflyer is offline Find More Posts by noddyflyer
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:51 AM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy. View Post
+ 1
+ 1
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:30 PM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
250 Posts
Cool BF......perfact choice for PLUS

cheers
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:12 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
Thank you! It's very kind of you all to say.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
Wausau, WI
Joined Mar 2009
633 Posts
I have ordered a ZYX-S from hobby king. How can I tell what software/firmware it has? What is the latest to upgrade to or should I keep it stock?
MicroJago is offline Find More Posts by MicroJago
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:33 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,963 Posts
The ZYX-S from Hobbyking should have v3.02, which is the lastest, but it's very easy and safe to flash it with the supplied PC USB link, anyway. The firmware and other software links are here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568592
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:56 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Dec 2007
1,029 Posts
I think I may have defective unit from HK

Hope I"m doing something wrong and won't have to deal with HK return/exchange.

I purchased a Tarot ZYX-S from HK and received it a couple of days ago. But the unit seems to be defective. I do have experience with other FBL controllers(BeastX, CX-3X1000, GU365) and am familiar with setting them up.

I am using the ZYX-S on a Align Trex 250. It is on firmware 3.02 as shown on the ZYX3.0 software.

Align 410 digital Cyclic servos
Futaba 9257 digital tail servo
RCM-BL250 motor
RCE-BL15X ESC( programmed for 5v )
Spektrum DSM2 satellite. ZYX-S is programmed for DSM2-1

First short test hover went ok, cyclics gains were too high at default 40. Reduced to 30 and hovered much better but tail was not acting quite right. Brought it in to re-set the tail end point and look over the tail. While testing on the bench noticed some abnormal behavior.

1. When it initializes sometimes it takes a very long time, like over a minute. When it finally finishes, I have to power it off and start again as it does not initialize correctly.
2. When it starts correctly, the rudder servo jitters around erratically. In HH mode sometimes its ok, but most of the time it jitters. Rate mode is unusable as it does not stop jittering. While this is happening the cyclics are ok.
3. Sometimes when the rudder servo jitters/shakes by it self, the light on the ZYX-S flashes randomly.

** Cyclic servos are connected to ch1, ch2 and ch3
tail servo is connected to ch4
Spektrum satellite is connected to Rud
ESC is connected AIL

All the servos, ESC and motor all check out fine when connected straight to another Spek RX I have on hand.

Do you think I drew the short straw and got a defect or can you tell if I did something wrong from the above info?

TIA

ps - Although my ZYX-S was on firmware 3.02 out of the box, I tried reflashing it with 3.02 downloaded from these boards here... didn't seem to change anything.
fretman is online now Find More Posts by fretman