HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2011, 01:30 AM
Australia, WA, Exmouth
Joined Jan 2010
316 Posts
I have one on the way and will do a full review from an average pilots perspective as soon as it arrives.
I am also rewriting the manual for them and will hopefully make it a bit more plain English.
Desmogod is offline Find More Posts by Desmogod
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2011, 02:31 AM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
super kool. I'll wait till the manual is rewritten, then i'll buy one. Cheers DG
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 17, 2011, 02:40 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
I have one of the Tarot's ZYX and head on it's way - wish me luck

I have Beastx's on a Copterx 450 and a Gaui 550 so I should be able to give a reasonable comparison on ease of use hopefully - unfortunately I'm not the world's best flyer though so can't push it as far as others
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 17, 2011, 09:24 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmogod View Post
I have one on the way and will do a full review from an average pilots perspective as soon as it arrives.
I am also rewriting the manual for them and will hopefully make it a bit more plain English.
Seems there are others doing the manual rewrite, as well:
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=43
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Oct 20, 2011, 01:18 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
Mine should arrive in the next couple of days. I couldn't resist trying it out. I got the one with the 250 head, for an extra $20.

I was wondering why the 250 version doesn't show any pushrods like the 450 version does, but I've figured out why. They have lowered the head to the flybar height, so the existing pushrods can be used. This should make the 250 one sleek mean machine...
Old Oct 20, 2011, 05:28 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
I was wondering why the 250 version doesn't show any pushrods like the 450 version does, but I've figured out why. They have lowered the head to the flybar height, so the existing pushrods can be used. This should make the 250 one sleek mean machine...
Yep - the upper Jesus bolt is much higher than usual - it should flip and roll FAST
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Oct 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
My one turned up today. First impressions of the packaging and what you get are very good. As mentioned earlier the supplied manual is in Chinese so you will have to download the one from Infinity Hobby. The gyro is in a plastic case. The gyro without the cables weights 10g and 18.4g with cables. 4 pieces of thin double sided foam are provided and a metal plate.

The gyro will fit inside the 250 mounted under the gyro tray facing down and the leds, set button and data socket are still accessible.

The set button is a very small square button on the side of the gyro (see the side picture with the manufactured date sticker).

The 250 head looks nice. I like the nyloc nuts on the blade screws. Looks like this head still relies solely on the Jesus screw to keep the head on, as the washout base has no slot, and this one doesn't have a nut.

I'm wondering if this head uses a special spindle shaft. It looks shorter than the align part (but I haven't compared it yet). Hopefully spare parts will be available for this head in the near future.

Edit: I've just notice that one set of pins on CH1 are badly misaligned. I will have to bend the pins to get the servo plug in.
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 21, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
The pins on your ch1 are indeed quite misaligned (Chinese ) But hey it’s al about whats inside the magic box

I’m still not quite sure if I actually should buy a tarot zyx (for my 450). Because, It may be just the classic case of you get what you pay for (I can already refer to the pins )

Keep us updated
jp1357 is offline Find More Posts by jp1357
Old Oct 22, 2011, 03:56 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
Just an FYI, this 3-axis gyro can also be used as a standalone tail gyro by just connecting the rudder and aux channels only.

To select the tail servo type it would require the aileron channel to also be connected, temporarily, as the system menu programming mode requires the aileron stick held to get into the programming mode and to change the setting.

Note:
* When entering programming mode don't be fooled by the first set of flashing leds. The aileron or rudder stick must be held until the leds do a cycling sequence. All the leds will go out after the cycling sequence and you have to press the set button to get to parameter 1.

* Changing some of the values in the setup menu are a nightmare. For example the the collective pitch range can be set from -125 to 125. There is no indication of the current value and the rudder stick changes it 1 in either direction. If you wanted to go from the default of 60 to -60 to reverse the collective, you would have to push the stick left 120 times. If you change a value you must write down what it's been changed to, so when you come to change it again you know where you are starting from. The joys of no programming box.

* The gyro can be reinitialized by toggling the gain switch from HH to rate several times quickly.

* The gyros are disabled when in the system menu programming mode (moving the gyro has no effect).
Last edited by beenflying; Oct 22, 2011 at 04:28 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:23 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
I'm not very happy with the 250 head. The blade holders have been over machined and the bearings can slide freely in the blade holders. This means that centrifugal force is the only thing that will hold the blade holders away from the rotor housing. Also the blade holds wobble badly because the bearings are so loose.

See the two pictures.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 04:45 AM
Joined Oct 2011
9 Posts
Maybe you could fill-up the gaps with a rubber and metal ring with a raised collar.
jp1357 is offline Find More Posts by jp1357
Old Oct 22, 2011, 06:58 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
I've decided to thread lock the bearings into the blade holders.

The spindle shaft is 3mm x 22mm. The normal 250 shaft is 2.5mm x 31mm
Old Oct 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
After thread locking the bearings in, the head has come out quite well. It's very similar to the Microheli head.

Note:
* Nothing is thread locked. Make sure you thread lock the arm linkage balls, the washout arms (at the rotor housing base) and the head button.

* The threads in the spindle shaft are not to good. Make sure you clean the threads and thread lock them well. Don't over tighten the screws.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
The install went well. I managed to get the gyro and the Rx inside the frame of the 250. It's tight but I think it will work okay, especially as this heli has very little vibration (well it didn't with the FB head).

Because the gyro is pointing down, I used a little trick I learned from Finless, which is to use a mirror under the gyro. Setup went reasonable well. The gyro has times when it seems to miss the set button pressed or the aileron stick moved, which was a bit frustrating. I like the way it briefly moves the servo you are about to reverse or trim. I didn't like that you could not see the effect of reversing the gyros without exiting programming mode. If they bring out a programming box for this gyro it will be a big plus.

I've already read one report of someone that has flown this gyro in a miniTitan and he said it was brilliant. Much better than the 3GX he took off it.

All up weight without canopy and battery is 272g.

Weather permitting, test flight will be tomorrow...
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:38 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,778 Posts
I love it. The 250 flies on rails (smooth and stable). It flies just like the 3GYS does on the 450. With 12 degrees pitch it now has more punch and the tail (DS95i 760us) is solid, and with torque compensation set to 5, the tail doesn't budge on a sustained full pitch pump.

I felt like I could piro non stop all day and the default piro speed with EPAs set to 100 is just right for me. Again like the 3GYS the slowest tail speed is a little faster than I would like, but it has no effect on normal flight. The rudder Tx deadband is larger than other tail gyros I've used, but this is good for beginners and learning 3D.

There is no drift, like my KDS Ebar had, and the cyclic stays level traveling from full negative to full positive pitch.

I set the elevator and Aileron dual rates to 90% for the first flight, and the tail gain was set to a true gain of 28.

Feel free to ask any questions about my setup.

You couldn't ask for better than this from a flybarless gyro, especially for the price. Bring on the programming box.