HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:21 PM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
733 Posts
Ok,
I've been reading from the beginning, and I'm about a third through, but my fbl box arrived yesterday, so I started setting it up, Went to switch to the metal case, but found the inards of this thing gooped up with what looked like silicone, so I put it back together with the way it was.
Next got all of my connections done, plugged everything in, and all i get is the flashing red light after initialization. I can't hook it up via pc or programming box. ?????? - well, I can plug it in, but since it seems to be in error mode, nothing happens.
Ideas?
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Last edited by Dowquest; Apr 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowquest View Post
Ok,
I've been reading from the beginning, and I'm about a third through, but my fbl box arrived yesterday, so I started setting it up, Went to switch to the metal case, but found the inards of this thing gooped up with what looked like silicone, so I put it back together with the way it was.
Next got all of my connections done, plugged everything in, and all i get is the flashing red light after initialization. I can't hook it up via pc or programming box. ?????? - well, I can plug it in, but since it seems to be in error mode, nothing happens.
Ideas?

check the usb com ports set it to any com 1-4 not any higher. try that
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:05 AM
RCHN #202
United States, CA, El Cajon
Joined Nov 2007
733 Posts
Got that sorted out with holding the set button down, now working through programming.... My hat's off to you guys who were first. With the pc software, it seems like my throttle/ pitch are linked to my ailerons and vice versa. It's been a couple of hours working on this, and it has lost it's fun....

Any video's on setting up with the pc? I remember back in the beginning someone saying don't worry about the swash travel when it's on the deck, but how do you set it up, if the swash is not responding appropriately?
And it is the S model, would that make any difference?

Found zero pitch's video, will check it out

Well, Found I had missed 1 detail, not explained really well, until I saw zeropitch's vid. Once I set the swash setting in my radio correctly, it went pretty smooth. Final settings and trimming to do on Sunday, but should be in the air... Oh well, 5 hrs beating my head against the wall, 20 min to set it up........
Dowquest is offline Find More Posts by Dowquest
Last edited by Dowquest; Apr 21, 2012 at 02:17 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:23 AM
AMA Member # 458448
United States, MA, ALLSTON
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
My First CP Hovering ....

I finally had a chance to fly my 250 FBL. This is a fast heli in all directions. I flew it in a basketball field early in the morning with a little bit of wind. I am still learning CP so this heli was always gone with the wind. When the wind died down, I could hover it about 2 - 3 feet. It was stable without wind. However I saw the tail wag issue when it was hovering in HH mode. I tried the rated-mode but I need to correct the tail quite often due to wind. Another thing is the training gear; I could not learn hovering CP with it !!! Whenever the heli flew too high, or out of my "control", I would lower throttle stick slowly to bring the heli back down to 2 -3 feet above ground and then toggle the throttle hold switch. Without the training gear, I would have crashed in the very beginning of flight. I finished the flight when battery got low. I could hear the rotor spinning sound when throttle stick above 0 pitch. I am looking forward to my second flight; hopefully I could fix the tail issue by then and pick a less windy day

Many thanks to all the members in this forum who taught me to setup ZYX gyro.

Any suggestion to tackle the tail wag issue ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
lcc014 is offline Find More Posts by lcc014
Old Apr 21, 2012, 07:51 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc014 View Post
I finally had a chance to fly my 250 FBL. This is a fast heli in all directions. I flew it in a basketball field early in the morning with a little bit of wind. I am still learning CP so this heli was always gone with the wind. When the wind died down, I could hover it about 2 - 3 feet. It was stable without wind. However I saw the tail wag issue when it was hovering in HH mode. I tried the rated-mode but I need to correct the tail quite often due to wind. Another thing is the training gear; I could not learn hovering CP with it !!! Whenever the heli flew too high, or out of my "control", I would lower throttle stick slowly to bring the heli back down to 2 -3 feet above ground and then toggle the throttle hold switch. Without the training gear, I would have crashed in the very beginning of flight. I finished the flight when battery got low. I could hear the rotor spinning sound when throttle stick above 0 pitch. I am looking forward to my second flight; hopefully I could fix the tail issue by then and pick a less windy day

Many thanks to all the members in this forum who taught me to setup ZYX gyro.

Any suggestion to tackle the tail wag issue ?

Thanks,

Ching-Ho Cheng
Ching-Ho,

Congrats - always good to hear of a successful maiden

Just drop your gain (in the Tx ) by a few points and the wag shoudl go away.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:12 AM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Ching-Ho,

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to reduce the TX gain in next flight.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:56 AM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
2,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
So I'm catching up on the thread and scootin' right through and I run into the above.

For some reason it made me laugh!

b
Yeah sorry. I just saw the discussion and had to comment.

Some FBL controllers go as far as to ask which direction the main rotor turns, so that they can accommodate the induced lean in a hover.
R_Lefebvre is online now Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:59 AM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHRC View Post
Ching-Ho,

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

I had my 2nd flight this morning. This time had almost no wind. I had more air time in this flight including "flying around - over control on cyclic stick when trying to compensate the drifting" and hovering. I reduced the gain in TX and tail wag was much less but no totally stopped. I had expo of Aileron and Elevator set to -40 in my Futaba TX. So I need to reduce the HH gain a bit more and to increase the expo a bit more too. This learning curve was very similar to FP heli experience. The more practice that I had, the less "flying around" that would be....

I cannot fly this heli in basement like my FP heli. So next practice will be next weekend morning hour if no rain and light wind.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:02 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,838 Posts
Do make sure your mechanical setup is as good as you can get it. It can take a lot of messing around to sort the tail properly.

Good luck!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
AMA Member # 458448
Joined May 2011
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Do make sure your mechanical setup is as good as you can get it. It can take a lot of messing around to sort the tail properly.

Good luck!
Will do. Thanks.

Ching-Ho Cheng
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:27 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Just finished installing a Tarot ZYX on a 450 (upgraded, was flybar'ed). Mechanical setup was already good to go, but made some tweaks and adjustments as necessary on the new FBL head.

A few issues...

Tarot 2.5 software will not connect the XYZ unit, even with COM set at port 4. Fortunately John_NZ's software connects to it without issues, it allows selection of the COM port which does the trick. The drawback is that I can't update the firmware from NZ's software.

My cyclic servos are digital, Hitec HS-5056MG micro's. My tail servo is analog (it's a great tail servo). No option within the ZYX to set the cyclic to digital and tail to analog, so I left them all at analog. Seems to work fine but not sure of the implications.

Last but not least, when I go into idle up mode, the swash tilts right. I saw a similar issue with an Align 3GX in my T-Rex 500. Had to do with gain adjustments. I haven't made any manual gain adjustments, just went with the soft 3D and updated the ZYX with the preset. Any ideas?
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWNY View Post
Tarot 2.5 software will not connect the XYZ unit, even with COM set at port 4. Fortunately John_NZ's software connects to it without issues, it allows selection of the COM port which does the trick. The drawback is that I can't update the firmware from NZ's software.
John's software will update the ZYX no problem - just download the firmware and off you go

Quote:
Last but not least, when I go into idle up mode, the swash tilts right. I saw a similar issue with an Align 3GX in my T-Rex 500. Had to do with gain adjustments. I haven't made any manual gain adjustments, just went with the soft 3D and updated the ZYX with the preset. Any ideas?
Check for trims in different flight modes
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:57 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,838 Posts
Quote:
My cyclic servos are digital, Hitec HS-5056MG micro's. My tail servo is analog (it's a great tail servo). No option within the ZYX to set the cyclic to digital and tail to analog, so I left them all at analog. Seems to work fine but not sure of the implications.
You won't get the best out of the cyclic servos running them analog, and you might have to reduce cyclic gains a bit. I would probably get a digital tail servo. Even a cheap 9257 clone works well, and something like a $15 Fitec FS9357D works very well.

Quote:
Sounds like a trim issue. My TX allows for different trim in each flight mode. You could verify that by plugging the servos directly into the RX and see if the servos move when flipping between flight modes (though you'd have to set collective to the same value, eg straight line 50% in all modes, or at least make sure it's the same value for whatever stick position you test it at.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:03 AM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Thanks for your responses - what if I run everything in digital mode? Or will that smoke the analog tail servo? I will likely go digital on the tail servo soon to alleviate the issue.

Good suggestion on the trims, aileron was trimmed way right in idle up. I feel like a moron. LOL.

Now I have to figure out why my blades are out of track on one side of the rotor but not the other side. Don't like the linkages on the head so may have to swap them out before the 450 is fly-able.

MikeHRC - I noticed that John's latest test release of the FBL software included a firmware update option, but wasn't sure if it was reliable. Sounds like it's the way to go. I don't have any of the issues outlined in the Tarot ZYX firmware update so I may leave as-is for now.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Last edited by ChrisWNY; Apr 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,133 Posts
Quote:
MikeHRC - I noticed that John's latest test release of the FBL software included a firmware update option, but wasn't sure if it was reliable. Sounds like it's the way to go. I don't have any of the issues outlined in the Tarot ZYX firmware update so I may leave as-is for now.
Chris,

I find John's software to be fantastic - I used it to re-flash one of my Copterx units,but I tend to agree - if your ZYX is working OK then I would leave well alone personally.

Cheers,
Mike.