HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, New Plymouth
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex View Post
Besides why has John NZ had to pretty much rewrite the programing software?
I think that the Tarot software does the job it was made to do.

I initially only had a programming box when I started with my CopterX gyro. Then I bought the Tarot unit and discovered that the CopterX programming box would not talk to the Tarot unit. So I decided that a PC program would be handy.
I analysed the protocol between the programming box and the gyro. At that point, I discovered that Tarot had already released their software and it would only talk to Tarot units too.

I decided I might as well continue and create a package that could talk to any of the 4 units using the same protocol. So I wrote the FBL software to encompass what the Tarot software already provided with the long term view of being able to add further functionality if short comings were identified.

Really nothing to do with the Tarot software not functioning as it should or anything like that.
John_NZ is offline Find More Posts by John_NZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:31 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
John_NZ thanks for the explanation.

I'm swaping the two units right now to see if it is the unit or the heli.

So other then the popup window on the update upload there is no way to tell if the unit has been updated or not?
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
John_NZ thanks for the explanation.

I'm swaping the two units right now to see if it is the unit or the heli.

So other then the popup window on the update upload there is no way to tell if the unit has been updated or not?
No unfortunately other than knowing that the upgrade was successful, there presently is no way of knowing what firmware it is running that anyone is aware of at the moment.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 04:41 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
Would that be something you could add to your software program or not?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
don't forget guys the copterx fbl unit is just as good, aslong you can put up with the blue color. Copterx fbl in a Big env heli! with cheapie HK high voltage servos! This guy is no stranger when it comes to testing out cheapie HK products, rest assured. He definately knows how to put this copterx unit through it's paces.

HK 15298 HIgh voltage servos (4 min 44 sec)
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
333 Posts
Quote:
Would that be something you could add to your software program or not?
No, as I don't know what they have in the firmware file and I don't know if there is any way of reading the firmware out of the unit to compare with a known firmware file.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:16 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Like I said before this has happened 4 times now and a 700 size heli tares its self up quite a bit more then a 250 and 450 heli. Not to mention the cost of the repair , plus after finding the 2 cold solder joints fair or not if it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck then chances are it's a duck.
It's really your own fault putting this flybarless unit on a 700, let alone crashing fours times before realizing you probably do not want to trust this unit in such an expensive helicopter to begin with.

To me all that sounds like very stubborn and unreasonable complaining.

Quote:
So if my statement upset you then sorry , but I do think the QC is kind of hit or miss on this units.
Besides why has John NZ had to pretty much rewrite the programing software?
To be honest, they really are not any more hit or miss than any of the other cheaper gyros. Some might die sooner than others, but that's why they are cheaper!

I think your level of expectation might simply be somewhat unrealistic.

For a fraction of the price of a BeastX, do you really think it CAN offer the same quality? The same reliability as a Ace RC GT5 or Skookum? Heck no.

Why complain when the units costs almost nothing compared to the more expensive ones?

I also wonder what made your helicopter crash for you to blame it on the flybarless unit. There are quite a few things that could cause issues.

Did you upgrade the firmware?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:22 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
Cool , thanks John_NZ.

I still would like to know if there is any way to get a more locked in hover with this unit , as my 450 was very stabile with the flybar meaning it would hold its self in a hover.

Now with the ZYX unit it drifts while in a hover , is this just the unit or can this be adjusted out?

PHMX
First off It says that the ZYX FBL unit can be used on helis 250 to 700 in size , so if it can't they need to rethink their what it can be installed on.

I do realize it is no BeastX or Skookum , I just expected it to do what it stated it would thats not unrealistic at all.

What made the helicopter crash is on spool-up before it ever got to full spoo-up which is 1250rpm , I saw the swash plate go full right aileron then it wraped its self up before it ever got to full spool-up on the ground and no input was ever give to the swash from the TX.

I we have been discussing in prior post Yes I beleave I have installed the firmware update but there is no way of knowing if it took or not.
Last edited by cap231ex; Mar 18, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:28 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Cool , thanks John_NZ.

I still would like to know if there is any way to get a more locked in hover with this unit , as my 450 was very stabile with the flybar meaning it would hold its self in a hover.

Now with the ZYX unit it drifts while in a hover , is this just the unit or can this be adjusted out?
Please don't get me wrong here, but I think this might be caused by a vibration issue of some kind. Did you try to increase the gains? Did you check the mechanical trim? Level the swash plate?
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:38 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
Yes

Yes

And yes

No difference

Any other ideals?
Old Mar 18, 2012, 06:58 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
849 Posts
@cap231ex
Is your compensation going in the proper direction?
when changed out my servos for digital I reversed mine and it did the same thing.
I had training gears on so I was able to shut it down before it went over but it almost ran me over when it went full back-right on me.

[edit]
sorry ment gyro direction in setup
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Last edited by Black_heart; Mar 18, 2012 at 07:02 PM. Reason: woop
Old Mar 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
Yes it is correct , but thanks

It's the unit its self , I just came in after the swap and the one that was in the 450 now works perfectly in the 700. This means there is nothing wrong with the 700 heli to effect the unit, it flys the same as it did when it was in the 450.

So my thoughts about it not connecting to the PC software and the full right aileron wrap-up crashes on the ground , along with the 2 cold solder joints I found all point to a defective unit.

I plan on sending an e-mail to Infinity Hobby with this new information to see if they are willing to do anything about it , but I don't plan on holding my breath. After all they didn't build it they just sold it and at the time of the sell they had no way of knowing it was defective or not.

I wouldn't expect them to compensate me for any damages to my heli , but if they were willing to send me a new unit I would not pass it up.

Oh and PS I have an excellent set-up for any scale pilots interested in using this on a scale heli , as I do have my one that works tuned in very nicely and like it a lot.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
570 Posts
Just joining in and have a zyx in the mail. lots of good info here! This will be my first Fbl setup. It will go on a trex500esp that I bought w/ a RJX head (looks nice) Im currently on page 5 and in the process of trying to find a usb adapter in the us if there is one.
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:42 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
It's really your own fault putting this flybarless unit on a 700, let alone crashing fours times before realizing you probably do not want to trust this unit in such an expensive helicopter to begin with.

To me all that sounds like very stubborn and unreasonable complaining.

To be honest, they really are not any more hit or miss than any of the other cheaper gyros. Some might die sooner than others, but that's why they are cheaper!

I think your level of expectation might simply be somewhat unrealistic.

For a fraction of the price of a BeastX, do you really think it CAN offer the same quality? The same reliability as a Ace RC GT5 or Skookum? Heck no.

Why complain when the units costs almost nothing compared to the more expensive ones?

I also wonder what made your helicopter crash for you to blame it on the flybarless unit. There are quite a few things that could cause issues.

Did you upgrade the firmware?
PHMX my friend it was just unfortunate luck that cap had a bogus unit and he installed it on a 700.

But the unit itself does work on 700 and 250 size helis, as we have seen on the videos....

王喬聖ChiaoSheng Wang ZYX三軸裝700首航 (3 min 47 sec)
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,512 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with cap231. All evidence points to a defective unit. And I've read somewhere on here about Infinity replacing someone's defective unit...
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M