HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Hi there, I am at work right now and will check when I get home.

Some more questions

In the monitor in John's software for gain, with my current settings and dx8, it shows a gain of around 40% (my tx is at around 40-50). Is this correct?

How do I know for sure that my tx is sending correct gain values? That value should change if I change gain on my tx right?

Yes - should change as you change Gain

Also, what are these 2 modes that I hear about? I have heard of an issue before where the gyro can boot up into different modes?

As I understand it the 2 conditions allow you to have 2 different sets of parameters for the tail or swash settings and toggle between the 2 using a switch on the Tx - I haven't tried it so can't comment for certain. As I understand it (again not certain) it affects the advanced settings rather than the set-up settings (e.g. servo direction, gyro correction etc.) but as I said - this is based upon reading rather than testing.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to wrap my mind around some of this.
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 09:07 AM
Just wanna fly!
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2008
1,012 Posts
Do you think it is possible then that I may be in a mode I am not expecting?

I definately would like to know more about how to toggle modes.
grovey is offline Find More Posts by grovey
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
56 Posts
beginner settings with zyx gyro hk500

I am just starting to do basic figger 8s and nose in hovers and just removed the fly bar and went to zyx fbl gyro and was hopping some one could give me some basic settings.I set it up on beginner mode but it dose not feel that stable compaired to my fb set up (the tail is rock solid and stops very hard) but when hovering it seems like it needs a lot of input (my friend has a best x and can hover hands off) I have the tarot head and zyx gyro and usb interface plug in and all digital servos. Should I try 3d soft settings or just tweek beginner settings
any help would be great.
thanks Ben
this is video of first flite

hk500 with zyx gyro first flite (4 min 39 sec)
bsovermars is offline Find More Posts by bsovermars
Old Mar 16, 2012, 01:27 PM
Team Mulikow 3D
Oxfordshire, UK
Joined Jan 2007
4,040 Posts
Ben,

Flying inside and low to the ground is never going to be as smooth as flying higher and outside as there will be a lot of air bouncing off walls + you are in ground effect (basically air bouncing up off floor).

However there are some things that you can do to help - what are your dead-band settings ?

Do you have the USB domgle - if so can you download your .ini file and post it up here

Cheers,
Mike
MikeHRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeHRC
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsovermars View Post
I am just starting to do basic figger 8s and nose in hovers and just removed the fly bar and went to zyx fbl gyro and was hopping some one could give me some basic settings.I set it up on beginner mode but it dose not feel that stable compaired to my fb set up (the tail is rock solid and stops very hard) but when hovering it seems like it needs a lot of input (my friend has a best x and can hover hands off) I have the tarot head and zyx gyro and usb interface plug in and all digital servos. Should I try 3d soft settings or just tweek beginner settings
any help would be great.
thanks Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g32QhdfZ5oo
what's your current settings now? how much expo do you have? what's your cyclic pitch?

And since you asked about other peoples settings most of the guys are here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568592 for settings and here http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=375742
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:55 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
ZP sorry to hear what happened to your EXI 450. What happened? did you figure it out? It looked smoothe on take off
Old Mar 16, 2012, 04:54 PM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsovermars View Post
any help would be great.
thanks Ben

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g32QhdfZ5oo
Well, first of all, I'd really recommend to lower that headspeed by a lot. It's effectively of no use to a beginner and it will really wear out a clone quickly. Further more, you do not need that much headspeed, not even in 3D.

As for heads-off hovering, that can be two things. Either your swash plate isn't level and moving level when controlling the collective or the gain on your flybarless unit is not high enough.

Bear in mind though that with such a huge headspeed it should have already flown extremely stable (less gain required to achieve the same 'hold' on all axis), so it must be something mechanical.

I also agree that you might have to simply dial in more exponential in your radio. These units do require a lot when you're not really using them for 3D (whether not yet or not at all ) and do not want the touchy responsiveness. You could also change the ATV (adjustable travel value or channel end point settings) to something lower than 100% high and 100% low. This will also tone the responsiveness down, without messing with the flybarless settings too much.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:25 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
@bsovermars

Nice flying, that did not look too bad at all. That being said, +1 to PHMX. That HS looked very high, probably 3000+... way too hot for a beginner, and probably pushing the safe limit on a 500-class. BTW, the material quality of these HK clones probably cannot handle more than 2900 RPM HS. Particularly, your tail rotor is likely to explode. or your main blade grips might let go of the FS

I'd recommend changing your pinion to get 2400 RPM at 80-90% throttle. This should be plenty HS for moderately aggresive sports flying and aerobatics. In my experience, 500-class helis don't fly very well under 2400 RPM unless you have really soft dampers and blades, or a multi-bladed rotor.

Setting up your collective range to +/- 10 degrees, and cyclic range to 7 deg will also help tone it down a notch. You can also go to the FBL unit settings and drop the pitch/roll agility a few points. Drop piro speed in the tail settings as well.

Also good idea, as recommended above, to drop your D/R and add a good amount of expo (30-40%). If you have the program box or USB cable, go and decrease the RC deadband to a value of 10-15 for both tail and swash.

Finally, I think the Beginner mode is quirky on these units, particularly on the tail. I would start with the mild 3D preset and tune it down in the agility/piro speed, as well as decreasing the coll/cyclic ranges.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Mar 16, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Aug 2010
865 Posts
This one has me stumped

I have a Tarot 450 Pro V2 FBL with ZYX gyro. The best helo guys in the area went over this helicopter with a fine tooth comb and said it looks and feels perfect mechanically.

The issue is, is I have programmed the Tarot 450 Pro to 3D Soft and the only modification was to change the RC deadband from 64 to 10. The helicopter flies fine in Headlock mode but NOT Rate mode. DX6i gain set at 71% as per the manufacturer for Headlock mode and Rate mode is set at 28% (also as per Tarot)

I can fly around fine in Headlock mode but it feels like I am right on the edge of tail wag. If I bump the rudder, it wags a little and dampens out. If I try to fly in Rate mode, I get moderate to severe tail wag just before the heli breaks ground. I have to abort and switch to headlock mode to get a flight in (probably a bad idea)

I tried changing rate mode all the way down to 15% but no change. I am seeing the ZYX01 change modes on the heli with the red light and blue light.

So, is there something in the ZYX 2.5 software that I should change to tame down the Rate mode??

Thank you for your help.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Last edited by thekubiaks; Mar 16, 2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
see MH this is what I'm talking about. I've seen people with the beastx with similar issues, they change their tail servo into the mks ds95i, increased their cyclic pitch to 9 degrees, dropping the collective pitch to 11 deg and not higher etc etc until they got their tail to lock. Are we having incompatibility issues just like the beastx? Or are we just going on the assumption that all tail servos are compatible with this gyro? We need to look at this at a professional level like the spartan creating a database of compatibility servos. I dunno like i said MH i'm just a geezer waiting for the zyx101 video.

The info was taken from my friend holger with his beastx and 250.

BeastX 3.0 PitchBoost CyclicResponse (4 min 35 sec)

P.S

I'm not saying everyone should buy an mks ds95i, i'm just saying it could be incompatibility issues?? I've seen other setups that seems to work nicely with the Tarot

MiniProtos (5 min 2 sec)
Last edited by pitchp; Mar 16, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:22 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,760 Posts
I know I had compatibility issues with my 700 at first.

I had Blue Bird or Turnigy 620HS DMG servo on the cyclic and the ZYX unit didn't read then as digital nor did it read them as analog eather.

I changed to BlueArrow D50011MG and they seemed to work fine.
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Mar 16, 2012, 06:40 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
thank you enuff said. we really need to make a servo database that is compatible with this gyro!
Old Mar 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,522 Posts
@thekubiaks

You have too much Rate gain and are changing it the wrong way in the DX6i. Take it closer to 50% to decrease the gain in rate mode. So 40% is lower rate gain than 15%.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old Mar 16, 2012, 10:43 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchp View Post
I'll take up that offer, but I will make you a deal.

Make a setup and installation video of the zyx. A ZYX 101 video for some of the new guys here that are struggling to get theirs going. If you make this video out of the goodness of your heart, I will buy the Tarot 450 FBL with the Tarot ZYX. No excuses. Do we have a deal. I must first see your video then i will proceed in buying it!
Sorry, my friend, it's just not my forte.

But you really don't need it. Any issues you might have can be worked through here on the forum. Just ask away.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Mar 16, 2012, 11:24 PM
No Longer Active
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
I understand my friend, it's ok, someone here will make a professional setup video, there's always another finless bob. with an almost 200,000 views and so many of the pros using this tarot zyx, one of them will do it. I could feel it.