HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:10 PM
South Central Idaho
Joined Mar 2009
205 Posts
Discussion
R L Adams foam board question

The "dollar store" foam we have in my area is principally R L Adams foam board, paper backed on both sides and about 4mm with the paper on. Been using it to build electric planes for over a year.

Now I'm working on a more sophisticated soaring glider design and I'd like to know more about its physical qualities.

However, try as I might, I can't find out what "kind" of foam it is. R L Adams doesn't list what type of foam it is anywhere. About all I can find is that it's "acid-free".

Does anyone know? Cheers.
IdahoAir is offline Find More Posts by IdahoAir
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:26 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,446 Posts
It's polystyrene just like the Dow blucor or PBlll. The only difference is color, cell size/density and absence of a plastic film covering. The part that's acid free is probably the kraft paper on each side. RL Adams also makes the Dow products for Dow in Michigan.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:47 PM
I just want to fly
USA, IN, Jeffersonville
Joined Aug 2008
690 Posts
If your worryed about strenght I econolight and cover the whole plane it makes the plane so much durable with very little weight gain..good luck with the build
justwanttofly is offline Find More Posts by justwanttofly
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:08 PM
South Central Idaho
Joined Mar 2009
205 Posts
It's poly ... excellent. I'm working on a simple method to "cold form" a 2m wing and it involves some compression of the foam. I also needed to check out its thermal resistance as it will be covered with a lightweight material as well such as Solarfilm Solite. Now, to build the test fixture....

Thanks guys ...
IdahoAir is offline Find More Posts by IdahoAir
Last edited by IdahoAir; Sep 25, 2011 at 11:16 PM.