HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Discussion
Whiteman's Marauder 90 Gasoline

Hello Kmot and all other forum members. John here from Ontario Canada, I am 48 years, a commercial diver/ welder/ marine engineer. and new to the forum. I recently bought a Whitman’s Marauder Hovercraft in mint condition. It has an OS .60 needs sleeve with it or I have a super tiger .75, but I am thinking of installing the new BME Super tigre .90 Gasoline Engine with electronic ignition in it instead, giving it a lot more power, speed and torque.

The BME Super tigre .90 Gasoline Engine is almost the same size and weight as the .75 glow engine. They claim it is the smallest gas engine made, and is recommended as an alternative gasoline replacement, for the .75 glow for airplane models but will do away with the hassles of glow fuel, electric hand starter, big battery pack, glow plugs , field kit and going hobby shop for fuel. I am also thinking of installing a 4 blade zinger 6x12 plated prop.

In your opinion, do you think this setup will work ok, or will it be way to powerful for the vehicle? Should I stay with a 6x12 pitch prop, or in your opinion, is there a better pitch? I was also contemplating cutting down a 13"x6 4 blade zinger on the lathe and balancing it. This would do away with the tapered blade tips and give the blade more surface area to push wind. What do you think.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

John NuHobby

Marauder with .61

BME Super Tiger 90 Gasoline & Electronic Ignition

Zinger 4way 6x12 plated prop

[IMG][/IMG]
NuHobby is offline Find More Posts by NuHobby
Last edited by NuHobby; Sep 26, 2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: image not loading
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
Hi John, congrats on your new purchase.

1st off, a 6" diameter prop is not going to move enough air to float and propel this vehicle. Unless you just switched numbers and actually mean 12" x 6" prop (12 inch diameter, this how how prop nomenclature works).

I see a couple of possible issues with using the BME converted engine. One, is the air filter. I do not know if there are air filters available that will fir that gasoline carburetor. You absolutely must use a high quality air filter or else your engine will end up the same as the OS, needing a piston and sleeve from all the dirt ingestion.

Typical airplane style engines have a barrel end that can accomodate various air filters made for glow engines.

#2 is the muffler on that Super Tigre. The Marauder is designed to have the muffler exhaust run through a flex tube, down through the hull, and out the back end at water level. If you wish to have an exhaust system as designed, you will need to mount the Super Tigres and see if the muffler can line up with the flex tube.

3rd, you need to swing a prop designed for the engine. If you use too small a prop you can overspeed the engine and damage it. A 90 size engine might need a larger prop than can physically fit inside the safety cage. Although, you may be able to find a diameter that fits ad increase the pitch enough to properly load the engine. Again, just something that needs to be checked.

I used a Fox .74 in mine and it was more than enough power.

I need to restore mine soon. I have been thinking about it recently.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:58 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Thanks' Kmot for your insight. Sorry got the numbers backwards for the prop. I do the same mistake with my boat prop at the marina.

Air filter I am planning to use is an RB high performance with extension pipe, like the ones used on 1/4 scale gas dune buggies and 4x4 off roaders. I can work around the exhaust alignment issue and the carb to filter coupler, as I have lathe and can easily make up an appropriate adapters easy enough, and I'll go with the largest prop I can fit to the cage. recommended props 13 x 6, 14 x6 so I might need to trim a 13x6 down a little to fit cage or might be able to get away with a 12x6. I'll contact BME to find out. Do you see any other hidden engineering problems to going with the 90 Gasoline engine other than relocating motor mount location holes ? Should I mount the engine on rubber mounts to reduce vibration? Also will it push too much air with the 4 blade prop?

Thanks John
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Kmot just contacted my engine dealer via PM He said 12x6x4blade prop is perfect for BME Super tigre .90 Gasoline Engine Won't cause any problems at all.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:58 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
I wouldn't worry a bit about pushing too much air. That's what the throttle control is for.

The extra power should prove to be fun. You will also most likely have extra strong vibration as well, so keep an eye on your bolts and screws and locknut and Loctite as necessary.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 11:47 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Sounds good Kmot Thanks for all your help. I will post some pics and maybe a vid when it is up and running. By chance, do you have a manual for the Marauder? If so can you email me a copy?

Thanks again john
Old Sep 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
Sorry, I built mine in 1990. Manual is long gone.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:22 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
220 Posts
I also built one in the early 90's http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1181083

Actually, with today's brushless motor/esc combinations, I was, and still am seriously considering going the other way and converting it to electric. Certainly was a lot of fun with gas though. Make sure that you seal up all of the areas where air could seep out; that way you'll get a nice fat skit and full downward air deflection. I will look and see if I still have the instructions... but like Knot said, its been a while..

Ken
Kholder116 is online now Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:03 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
Ken, would it be as easy as simply installing a "Power 60" or something like that?
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:32 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2004
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Ken, would it be as easy as simply installing a "Power 60" or something like that?
Kmot, the Power 60 would be more than adequate. The only issue would be the install and that may only require some modification of the existing mount. However, depending on the battery that is used, the performance will also be enhanced because if the weight savings.

Still no luck finding those instructions.
Kholder116 is online now Find More Posts by Kholder116
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:55 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
10 Posts
Marauder Update

Thought I would post a quick update. Almost finished my Maurader project. The 90 Super Tiger Gas conversion fit like a glove. I had to make a custom intake manifold and filter system cause this thing kicks up a lot of dust. Just waiting on a new 4 blade prop from zinger and it's ready for a test run.

Old Oct 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
That's a real clean installation you did. Super job on the intake pipe!!
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:14 AM
United States, NY, Rome
Joined Nov 2011
23 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum which I discovered while doing a search on the Whitman’s Marauder Hovercraft. My late father bought it years ago and never put it together. All parts still in the box WITH instructions and a OS .60 engine. I'm 51 and have built cars, planes, gliders, and boats so building this hovercraft will be a new and interesting experience. Hopefully I'll get started on it soon.
PegasusNY is offline Find More Posts by PegasusNY
Last edited by PegasusNY; Nov 01, 2011 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Additional info.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 01:42 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,908 Posts
Hi Pegasus,

What a wonderful treasure your late father left you! You will have a very enjoyable time building this incredible machine.

Start a new build thread so we can follow along and answer any questions you may have.