SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:53 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby View Post
So I toom billyjim's advice and got me the Flyzone UM Super Cub.
It definatly flies real slow...but, after about 20 minutes of flying the brick seems to gotten loose Did this happen to anyone else ?!?

I can see the brick (esc/servo/rx) move inside the fuselage when I peak through the battery compartment. I could cut open the fuselage, but that would destroy the beauty of the micro plane.

Will Hobbico fix this issue for me... Just wondering ?
IndiaHobby: I've read about that happening to a couple people over the last couple years -- different manufacturers and different RTFs. Will Hobbico fix it? I don't know -- it's worth calling Hobbico/Tower -- see what they say.

Otherwise, if it had happened to me, I would have gone into the fuse with a T-pin set into a 'hemostat' (medical term for forceps), and on the end of the T-pin I would have a 'dab' of epoxy cement, or whatever else you want to use that's foam safe. Then I'd smear a dab on each of the 4 corners which anchor the "brick." You don't have to put much cement on each corner, and you don't have to be too careful where you place it ----- if you can bridge the brick to the fuse foam in at least 3 places you're probably going to anchor the brick well enough permanently.

Where would you enter the fuse with your minimal surgery? The brick is mounted upside down on the upper part of the fuse, somewhere under the wing. So you cut a 'hatch' on the underbelly of the fuse under where the brick is. Then cement the brick, and then close the hatch with a little cement. No one will notice it ---and you'll be flying a plane that will still look like it is in its original condition.

Remember even if Hobbico fixes the problem you'll be without a plane for at least a couple weeks is my guess, while in transit and being repaired.

In any case good luck!

Bill
billyjim is offline Find More Posts by billyjim
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:51 AM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, MD, Laurel
Joined Mar 2010
697 Posts
@Billyjim, I tool your advice and operated on my Super Cub (as mailing it back for repair was a 2 week process).
  • I peeled the decals from side of the fuselage (which peeled some of the paint along as well), pushed open the fuselage and used Foam Safe CA to bridge the brick on 4 corners.
  • I tested the neutral position of the rudder/elevator servo to ensure the brick was positioned correctly .
  • Lastly, I took some double-sided glue tape and applied along the fuselage (where the paint had come-off) and pasted the decals exactly where they were previously.
Now the plane looks like new and flies perfectly
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old Dec 15, 2011, 01:22 PM
billyjim
Cullman, AL
Joined Jun 2007
914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby View Post
@Billyjim, I tool your advice and operated on my Super Cub (as mailing it back for repair was a 2 week process).

Now the plane looks like new and flies perfectly
Attaboy, India!!! Enjoy!
billyjim is offline Find More Posts by billyjim
Old May 15, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Apr 2013
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjim View Post
B. An important upgrade: there a set of double sockets available for outboard aileron servos; thus it's 4-channel capable.
So the plane comes as a 3channel model, but is capable of adding on ailerons? Has anyone done this yet, what's involved? I'd think that the addiitonal weight of the 4th servo would be problematic?
netarc is offline Find More Posts by netarc
Old Sep 14, 2013, 04:56 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jun 2008
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netarc View Post
So the plane comes as a 3channel model, but is capable of adding on ailerons? Has anyone done this yet, what's involved? I'd think that the addiitonal weight of the 4th servo would be problematic?
I just got mine today, looks very nice. Too bad it's already night, otherwise I'd given it a try.

The two servos on board (as shown in the initial picture) were upgraded into a what look to me kind of micro-servos.

I'm interested in doing the mod with the ailerons as well ... any one had got it?

BTW, with a micro servo like the TG9e (15g), the extra weight shouldn't be a problem. In any case, you can upgrade to a 1600 mAh battery for extra power ;-)
artexmg is offline Find More Posts by artexmg