SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2011, 03:21 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Help!
CX2 Servo's Interchangeable?

I've learned that I have to replace a servo on one of my coaxials. They're 6g units...although part of the reason for this thread is to learn precisely what the "6g" means...and whether a non-E-Flite 6g servo is the same as a OE unit.

It has been suggested that a Futaba S3114 would be a direct replacement**, and I feel that Futaba has a solid rep in this field. But I see that it is described as 7.8g which -- if we're talking about the actual weight of the mechanism as opposed to some sort of force measurement -- seems an infinitesimal difference.

Oh - and it seems prudent to pick up at least two in the event that another one expires, which -- since I have four of them -- seems inevitable!

Please & thank you.

** Aside from the weight (if indeed that's what the 6g and 7.8g is) I do not want to have to modify the servo case, and/or the manner of securing to the airframe on the helo. If a non E-FLite servo automatically means cosmetic surgery...I'll pass.
ronemca is offline Find More Posts by ronemca
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
yes the 6g is supposed to dictate the servos weight, on the CX2 it really doesnt matter if the servos are different as long its reasonably close to the same size as the original servo.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Sep 25, 2011, 06:34 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
So what controls (governs) the degree of travel? It must be the 3-in-1, yes? otherwise a non-standard servo could in theory push/pull the swashplate 1.3 (or 1.7) times the distance the original servo did...and crash-ola!

Hopefully someone has actually swapped in a pair of non-OE servos and will chime in with the ideal choice.

(And it would be nice if I could enjoy the same standard of function & reliability for less than fifteen bucks apiece, too!)

In a different forum it has been suggested that perhaps the Hitec HS-55 or the E-Flite S-75 wouild be suitable replacements. I'm off to the 'net to try and determine whether this would work...and compare prices!
Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
958 Posts
Well, technically your right hand controls the degree of travel, but in general most servos will travel *roughly* the same amount as long as the ball joint or in the cx2's case, the servo arm hole is the same distance as the old one.

Since the CX2 uses a standard 90 degree swash with independant aileron (left/right) and elevator (front/back) servos, its not really a big deal if one servo travels slightly more or less than before.

As for crashola, since the CX2 is a coaxial, there is a limit as to how far you can move the swash before you might get things like blade strikes, but thats more related to how the heli has been setup and how you fly it.

HS-55's are cheap and reliable (for a name brand servo), not sure if its an exact fit, but if it fits, it would work flawlessly.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:40 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Understood. My LHS is outta stock on the S-60 and the HS-55 (and I'd pay $45.20 for a pair of them) so I've elected to go with good old Amazon...where I have scored a pair of OE S-60's for $33.44 shipped.
Last edited by ronemca; Sep 30, 2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:01 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronemca View Post
Understood. My LHS is outta stock on the S-60 and the HS-55 (and I'd pay $45.20 for a pair of them) so I've elected to go with good old Amazon...where I have scored a pair for $33.44 shipped.
HS-55 are $9.99 apiece at Great Hobbies and our local hobby shop -- I can't imagine paying over $40. The s60s are more expensive but unnecessary for a docile machine like that, The HS55 (or Eflite s-75) will fit nicely.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 30, 2011, 04:31 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
When the new pair get here I'm just gonna swap out the flaky one and keep the second as a spare. I know I'll be trimming the machine a bit anyway...since I'll be modding it further when I pull it apart to replace the servo.

And I'll be sure to follow up here with the end result.

Thank you for your patience! I am s-l-o-w-l-y picking it up.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:53 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,366 Posts
Quote:
When the new pair get here I'm just gonna swap out the flaky one and keep the second as a spare. I know I'll be trimming the machine a bit anyway...since I'll be modding it further when I pull it apart to replace the servo.

And I'll be sure to follow up here with the end result.

Thank you for your patience! I am s-l-o-w-l-y picking it up.
You need to use matched servos for balanced response. If you go to a different type of servo, replace both.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:23 PM
Canada, ON, Oakville
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Right - that's why I am indeed using S-60's. (An S-60)

If/when this happens again I'll try the Hitecs.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:29 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,366 Posts
Quote:
Right - that's why I am indeed using S-60's. (An S-60)

If/when this happens again I'll try the Hitecs.
OK. I missed the point that it already has s-60. My CX2 has S-75 (very similar to Hitec HS55 though reverse direction.