SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by shanesmadhouse, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 05:39 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
696 Posts
Gallery
DHC-4 Caribou

Hey there everyone.
Well this is the latest creation from the SAC, (Saints Aircraft Corporation).
This one is a design from myself off a three dimension picture.
This was a wonderful build and had a great time with the build.
Construction is as follows, used foam board for body with foam covered with balsa wings. Wing span is 1400mm and length just on 1530 mm. Currently powered by two 24mm Tower pro motors swinging 8x4 props but will change to three bladed 7 in once I get them. In no hurry to change but the 8 in ones do go very close to the fuselage, 5 mm gap. Motors are currently being fired up with 2 x 25 Amp ESC off a 2200 20 C S3 battery. Have the option due to the cavernous body to move the battery to for or aft to increase battery size.

Electronics are as follows, 5 x 9 gm servos, ele, rudder, ailerons x 2, steering. 2 x 18 gram for flaps which work even given the severe gull wing nature of the Caribou. Flaps only go 1/2 way along wing but once I get a better rx I will add the ailerons to flaperons to assist in the slow performance. Forgot to mention that the flaps are slotted fowler flaps.

Plane is also retract fitted with two electrics for the main U/C in the engine pods and using a tail wheel u/c assemble for the front due to space availability. Front wheel not in the correct position but hey its only stand off scale.

Paint job all done with good old brush work after preparing with spackling and WBPU covered. Not the best as I was getting greedy just to have it done and for go the cosmetics in the hard to see places.

Camouflage scheme was from the 1990 trials when they had three different patterns/ colours. Obviously they did not choose this one.
This plane saw active service in Vietnam and was donated to the RAAF Amberley Scuba club and is now a wonderful marine delight for fish and scuba divers.

Walk way marking and minor markings have been added using a marker pen. All decals are printed on paper and stick to the plane. RX antenna not in correct position due to length of RX wire so had to be placed another area.

Have built into the cargo ramp the provision to cut and add servo for opening/ closing ramp but need more positions on my current TX before that occurs. Will be using a 5 gm servo.

Well I hope you like the photos and yes as of the maiden well one day as I have three other planes that need to be maidened before this one.

Cheers safe landing.
Shane
SAC CEO
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shanesmadhouse; Sep 25, 2011 at 07:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:04 AM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
696 Posts
Well this afternoon while just testing the under carriage out and the last lot of corrections and adjustments to the Bou I could not help myself and had to apply a little more power with every run.
After about 5 passes with the front wheels in the air add alittle more power at least one click and off she went into the air scaring the poops out of me as she was just crawling with flaps extended. She vered off to the right as a gust of wind came at that very instant. Two more runs along the road and up she went again off to the left this time. Total flight now 4 foot in elevation and 10 foot horizntal.
Have to go back now and check two things, 1st why my main u/c keeps getting loose and why the left hand motor derates from 3/4 power to nothing where as the right keeps power on.

Happy with the efforts so far so fingers crossed for a weekend maiden.

Cheers SAC CEO
Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 04:22 AM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
400 Posts
subscribed..Looks great mate...keep the updates comming
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie