Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:17 PM
United States, TN, Chattanooga
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Help!
Unsure about Turnigy 9x

Well currently I have a DX5e which works great with my HZ Champ. But eventually I want a computer radio. I'm on a very tight budget so you can see why the 9x looks so attractive. A lot of people seem to favor it as an insane value for the money, but others seem to say it's just not worth it.

My next plane will probably be the AT Corsair. I could probably get an orange receiver and use my DX5e with that but I was kind of wanting the 9x. I'm just so undecided....anyone have any words of wisdom that might sway me one way or another? Thank you!
sporez is offline Find More Posts by sporez
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
"A lot of people seem to favor itas an insane value for the money, but others seem to say it's just not worth it."

So what is the ratio of "A lot" compared to "others". Go with the majority
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
If you wait a little bit, john kim will be here singing the praises of the turnigy and claiming that it has more features that a radio that costs 10 times as much. What he won't tell you is the truth though. Take the $53 or $54 price he will quote, add $30 in shipping and no warranty service even if needed.

Honestly, the turnigy is probably a decent radio for the money but it in no way compares to the Hitec Aurora, Airtronics 10sd or the Futaba 8fg and none of these cost anywhere near 10 times the price of the Turnigy.

If you're new to RC, your best bet would be to read a whole bunch of radio threads and kind of see the pros and cons of each brand and then make a informed decision based on what you need.
GhostRider32 is offline Find More Posts by GhostRider32
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post
If you wait a little bit, john kim will be here singing the praises of the turnigy and claiming that it has more features that a radio that costs 10 times as much. What he won't tell you is the truth though. Take the $53 or $54 price he will quote, add $30 in shipping and no warranty service even if needed.

Honestly, the turnigy is probably a decent radio for the money but it in no way compares to the Hitec Aurora, Airtronics 10sd or the Futaba 8fg and none of these cost anywhere near 10 times the price of the Turnigy.

If you're new to RC, your best bet would be to read a whole bunch of radio threads and kind of see the pros and cons of each brand and then make a informed decision based on what you need.
Well that's just the thing, if I had a better budget I'd probably just go for the DX6i. But with a tight budget (and maybe wanting to do some fpv in the future) I'm kind of stuck...

EDIT: also I will be ordering the corsair from HK so shipping isn't such a big deal if I bought both at once from the US warehouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
"A lot of people seem to favor itas an insane value for the money, but others seem to say it's just not worth it."

So what is the ratio of "A lot" compared to "others". Go with the majority
Good point. It's just I'm afraid I'll end up with one that turns out bad, then i'll be one of the 'others' lol
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,444 Posts
I happen to have a 9x, and like it, but it's because I added the Smartyparts programmer board and switched to the erazz new firmware. With that setup it's a fun radio. However it is also a tinkerer's radio, as while one can do a ton of stuff with it it's not well documented (at least not for someone new)

The original firmware was "ok", but hard to program more than the simplest functions. It only took me a month to figure I wanted better firmware. I probably have a hundred bucks in it now, so it's not a low buck radio any more.

So the upshot, if you like electronics, and like to tinker/try new things, go for it. If you just want to learn to fly a more advanced plane, either stay with your spectrum or look for a used dx6i.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,013 Posts
In my view, you'd be better off with a used DX6i. It fits with your existing receiver, opens up various BNF models, has good programming and a (pretty) good manual (and vast amounts of help here). If it breaks, it can readily be fixed.

The 9x is remarkable value (even at the $90 or more it will likely cost you shipped). But see all the reservations above. It is a tinkerer's radio.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:14 PM
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRider32 View Post

Ah yes, john kim....here's what he had to say about the
Turnigy 9x transmitter.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1390614

S
swede-rcgroups is offline Find More Posts by swede-rcgroups
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:17 PM
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485287

Here's a problem...a $30 fix for a $54 transmitter.

S
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
Want trim problems?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1393745

S
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
16,905 posts about the 9x, and so far all the negative ones you managed to find came from the same person. That's funny
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
130 Posts
Quote:
16,905 posts about the 9x, and so far all the negative ones you managed to find came from the same person. That's funny
Do you own a 9x, monkeyhanger?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
560 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the same person....john kim is the person....he's always building up the 9x but I'm showing what problems he's had with his 9x.

That's funny too!!

S
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:50 PM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
220 Posts
I'll try my best to be objective.

I got into this hobby on a very limited budget. My first plane was a used avistar. $90 for plane RTF, with flight box, electric starter, Futaba FM Skysport(read: cheap) and even a gallon of fuel.

I wanted to move up to 2.4, but needed to stay within my budget of insanely cheap. I read and read about the Turnigy(also known as the Imax, Erugle, Xcopter, Flysky, and maybe a few more). It seemed ok, plus the fact I could tinker and modify it was waayyyy cool.

I bought a Flysky version. I was flying a S.P.A.D. Corostang with it. No programming needed for this plane. I did play around with creating different models and tried different programming, but found it difficult. It was of course my first computer radio. I knew so little(and haven't learned much since)
I was a little worried about the stories of quality control, and knew I had NO warranty to speak of, so when I got it, I opened it up, adjusted the stick tension, and checked every solder joint, and plug and wire. I found a bad solder joint on the charge plug. It was a simple fix.
The radio worked fine, the link was solid and I never had any crashes because of it.

Of course the tinkerer in me wanted to check out this new firmware( I did the same thing with cell phones too) So I ordered a $6 programmer from Ebay. While waiting for it I screwed up and lost my only plane and receiver in the marsh at our local field. So I ordered a few more receivers. in the mean time I got my programmer, hooked it up. First incorrectly, then correctly. Flashed the radio. As I played with the radio I became really impressed at the work the guys who wrote the firmawre did. As far as I know , nothing compares with it's functionality and versitility(again, my first and only computer radio).

When my recievers came in They wouldn't bind, and in my attempt to troubleshoot, I fried the radio. Had to decide, go with an offer on a DX6i or another Flysky. I chose the Flysky. I was also able to fix the one I broke so I now had 2 of them.

I have since done a FrSky DIY module with telemetry, and did the modification to have the telemetry come up on the screen. Looking at the features I now have, and the reviews of the FrSky module, I find it hard to consider this a Cheap radio. And the fact that it now costs $39 + shipping( around $60) it's a better value than before.

NOW for some things to consider. If you are not comfortable shelling out $60 on something you have to maybe check out internally, you feel really uncomfortable about the fact that even a warranty exchange( which would really only apply to a radio that was d.o.a.) will still cost you some good money to ship back, OR if you are not the type that might be willing to do a lot of reading on the internet, then experimenting with something you may know little about(soldering electronics, programming IC chips, etc) then this might not be the radio for you. With it's stock firmware it would offer very little other than a great price.
Of course flashing the radio can be an "easy as pie" endevour, but that would cost another $40 for an add in board and the use of the software written just for flashing this radio(which I recommend using anyway).

A quick opinion on Chinese quality. I see people say "get the Spektrum! you can buy cheap receivers from Hobbyking..." If you did that wouldn't you still be relying on the same quality as the 9X?

Bottom line:

I truly feel that My radio is as good for me as any high dollar Futaba(since I'm flying spads, and cheap planes, although will be putting together a 50cc gasser sometime in the distant future). The link is solid, the features are many and the price fits into my budget.
I like the fact now that my radio isn't just some mysterious black box, but rather another facet of this hobby that I can modify, test, and change to suit my needs. Of course might be different if I were doing it just to fix problems, but that's not the case.

Sorry about the long post, but try talking to me in person. I'm quite long winded.
Kalikikopa is online now Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old Sep 24, 2011, 10:50 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,325 Posts
I remember back in 1980's when ACOMS hit the scene ... undercutting everyone. The reports of rubbish gear, faults etc. etc were many ... but in reality it was actually hard to find someone who ACTUALLY suffered those faults. They were mostly based friend of friend of friend or something heard across club-bar. ACOMS went on to become one of the most popular ground RC model radios.

Before I type next bit - I declare that I am a Budget RC'r and I own a FlySky 9X .. the factory version that gets rebranded Turnigy etc.
I got so fed up with reading rubbish and heresay about the sets - that I created a Yahoo Group specifically to get owners to talk about their radios and clear away the claptrap.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/

It was also to get away from the DIY guys who modify / reprogram firmware who were swamping regular threads and us normal users were not getting info we needed.

Yes - I have had suspected glitches with my FlySky .. I suspect only as I have no direct proof .. but I think the second generation Rx with a dipole antena instead of a satelite rx / dual antena may have been the reason.
I read up loads online and then swapped out the FlySky module / Rx for FrSky and I have never had any glitch or problem since. The FlySky Tx performs excellently ... yes the menu system needs getting used to ... the manual is Chinglish jibberish - but we have a much better manual online in the group....BUT the programming system and facilities is UP there in the higher levels of possibilities / mixes.

Would I buy another ? Yes certainly.... with FrSky module and Rx's.

Would I modify firmware ? No - as I do not see any reason I need to, it does far more than I am asking already.

Would I buy higher priced or "Reputable" brand radio instead ? Yes if I had budget that could support such. I am a JR fan and always have been. Note that the 9X modules are based on the JR format modules without the +6v pin ... so any 3rd party JR module will fit. My 9X, FrSky module + 3 Rx's cost far less than a "reputable" brand for ONE Rx set-up.... plus of course I still have the FlySky module and 2 Rx's ... (they are included in that price comparison as well !)

Sorry about the rant - but I get tired of reading same old stuff trundled out ...

Final comment - I know a guy who trusts his FPV expensive set-up to 9X and FrSky combo ... maybe some ought to talk to him ?
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:02 PM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post

Sorry about the rant - but I get tired of reading same old stuff trundled out ...
Sorry my last post trundled out some of that same old stuff.

After reading your post, I wanted to add, that although there is no programmable failsafe with the stock module. I've NEVER had a link related glitch with my stock setup. My glitches usually are caused by either low altitude, gravity, or misplaced bravado. In fact 1 of my radios will ALWAYS use the stock module because it works and rx's are cheap.
Kalikikopa is online now Find More Posts by Kalikikopa