HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:00 PM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
Guillow Conversions

Here are some pictures showing some of the structural steps in modifying a Guillow's BF 109 for 3 channel RC with a PAW .03 diesel motor. The radio is a Hitec 555 receiver and 3 HS-50 servos. The batteries are 110 mah nicads.

The first step is to strengthen the front of the nose with 1/16" sheet fill. I mount the motor on beams epoxied to the 1/16" ply firewall. The radio installation is 'permanent' for the life of the model and all servos are glued in place. Do not bother with servo rails, mounting hardware, etc... this adds useless weight and complexity. Also do not use too much fill-sheet as this adds unecessary weigth also. The standard rock-hard balsa in the kit is strong enough.
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
BF109 conversion continued

The fuel tank is made of thin brass shim stock soldered into a suitable rectangle. The vent and fill lines run to the bottom and top of the tank like in a UC stunt model. The pickup line runs to the back corner of the tank.

The wing is sheeted around the center section and thin plywood spar braces are used at the center section. The trailing edge is replaced with a sanded sheet TE and torque tubes and ailerons are added.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:06 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
Guillow Conversion (cont)

The tail surfaces are made from 3/32" sheet balsa and hinged with small pieces of Sig Easy hinges. Elevator pushrod is thin music wire and the control horn is cut from 1/32" plywood.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts

The frame is covered with japanese tissue, watershrunk, and clear doped. I paint my models with Acrylic bruched on water base paints from the plastic model section of the hobby shop. I then seal everything with a coat of semi-gloss polyurethane spray. This is works well for diesel fuel proofing.
Old Sep 15, 2003, 09:11 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts

Here is the finished model. It flies great with ailerons and elevator, and can fly inverted briefly even without a clunk tank. The PAW .03 diesel is the most underappreciated engine in the world. It throttles very well, runs forever on an ounce of fuel, and with the exhaust collector it is VERY quiet. The 109 looks great in the air and is awaiting a Spitfire companion...
Old Sep 15, 2003, 10:09 PM
TEM
Joined Aug 2003
153 Posts
Thats sure a nice plane you got there! I remember seeing a converted guillows spitfire like 10 years ago in RCM. Unthrottled .049 or .07?; 2ch aileron and rudder. I almost wanted to build my own; but I was only in freeflight and cars then. That and guillows scared me. Buying their kits were like buying scrap wood, plan sheet, plastic cowling and canopy. BTW, whats the AUW of your plane? Do you have any online links to information pertaining to diesel engines? I have never run one and neither have my friends.... Whats it like?
TEM is offline Find More Posts by TEM
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:58 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
Diesel

All of my conversion aircraft weigh between 8 and 10 ounces. With the latest radios you can easily build lighter than this. Don't go overboard on reinforcing the structure as the extra weight will make these planes fly poorly. Don't overpower them either, they look real stupid flying around like missiles! I like to fly them throttled back low and somewhat slow.

Here are 2 links for places I've purchased diesel engines from:

http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/

http://www.carlsonengineimports.com/

The motor I use is a PAW 55 BR RC (.03 cu in diesel ball bearing). It is happy turning propellors from 5 x 4 up to 7 x 4. Diesels have lots of torque and can easily handle bigger props which is great for scale models and quieter flying. The downside is learning how to set the compression and dealing with the kerosene smelling fuel. Diesel is messy even compared to glow. The fuel is roughly equal parts Kerosene, Ether, and oil. The compression adjust is like setting the timing on a spark ignition engine and there is an art to doing this right. It didn't take me long to get the hang of it and the PAW is a forgiving engine. You must be careful not to use an electric starter on a small diesel when its flooded or over compressed, because you'll bend the connecting rod instantly. I use a wimpy 1/2 A starter and back off the compression. You can also hand start the engine if you know the procedures outlined on Eric Clutton's web site.

Steve
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:43 AM
TEM
Joined Aug 2003
153 Posts
Thanks for the info, real interesting stuff I'd one day like to try out. Looking at the sites; you can get a china made diesel for 25bucks! I question the performance but at that price, you can break it and not have to cry about it! Anyone one with experience on those things?

Nitro works alright for me now(and it smells so sweet!) In my experience(yes, not much), the OS's, cox's, all work real good. The norvel I hated in the beginning....
TEM is offline Find More Posts by TEM
Old Sep 16, 2003, 09:37 AM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Thanks for posting more info on your Guillows conversions. That is one nice looking plane.
I have allways been afraid to try one but your posts have convinced me to do just that. I take it the tissue you are refering to is not the tissue that comes with the kits.
Bud Morrison is offline Find More Posts by Bud Morrison
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2003
1,055 Posts
Tissue

Japanese tissue is different than what comes in the kits. It is a much finer grain, lighter, and has a shiny surface on one side. I order mine from Peck Polymers or just buy it at a local (well stocked) hobby shop.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Sep 19, 2003, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2003
57 Posts
HI all, first post here

The guillows conversions are really interesting.I can remember as a kid with these and my foremost memory is that they were never really strong and I could never get the tissue on correctly.I started more of them than I ever finished. Are they worthwhile to convert.The one here is superb but is there any quality of the guillows kit that is sacrificed when converting to glow or diesel rc.Just a question.I have always wanted to try these little buggers but really did not know where to start.I've been into cars ,boats and planes and have lots of gear.I'm willing to try these for myself and not combat.Are there any kits I should try first and some to stay clear.Any direction would be appreciated

thanks and regards

wip
wipste is offline Find More Posts by wipste
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:03 AM
Elko Nevada
Joined Sep 2003
7 Posts
Hello, also my first post here. I was concerned about the plastic parts that come in the guillows kits. Will they take glow fuel?
I haven't seen any tissue sold for a very long time, any ideas where they might sell it?
Dreadnot
Dreadnot is offline Find More Posts by Dreadnot
Old Oct 07, 2004, 02:35 PM
Morell, PEI, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
509 Posts
1/2 A Guillows

Hi there, I'm not into diesel for the Guillows scale models,
but have something to contribute with regards to using
Cox 049's, such as the Golden Bee, Black Widow, or the
Texaco---use an 8 X 4 prop. A little touchy on needle
valve setting, but you get a less squirrely airplane, less
noise, and better fuel economy. I flew the Guillows Thomas
Morse Scout for years with a Black Widow--it stuck out of
the cowling a bit, but looked and sounded great with a
wooden 8 X 4 prop
east6008 is offline Find More Posts by east6008
Old Oct 07, 2004, 02:56 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Nice job, as always!
The PAW is so sweet...

That $25 chinese silver swallow or russian MAP does run, but it has no throttle, so it kind of loses the advantage of a small diesel...the great throttling.

Covering...well, to me, the only real bummer about tissue is the holes it gets in it if you end up in the weeds...you could do the same conversion and monokote it without too much, if any, weight penalty(depends how much paint you use)...I think tissue turns off a lot of the guys from trying. I like tissue or silkspan or silk, over plastics, myself...
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 07, 2004, 02:57 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnot
Hello, also my first post here. I was concerned about the plastic parts that come in the guillows kits. Will they take glow fuel?
I haven't seen any tissue sold for a very long time, any ideas where they might sell it?
Dreadnot
The plastic parts are totally fuel proof.
Peck polymers sells tissue, or try penn valley hobby center.
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger