HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ex-racr, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:16 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,541 Posts
Cool
F-27 Stryker in T-38 Thunderbirds scheme

In preparation for E-Jets this year, I had ordered a bare Stryker airframe, as well as the other airframe parts to complete the model. As most of you know the airframe is white and the other parts are grey. Not being happy with that, I decided to paint the grey parts white with some Krylon and keep the airframe bare to save some weight.
I filled in the aileron attachment recesses with a mixture of micro-ballons and WBPU and used the F-27A Stryker ailerons attached with tape.
I also used iron on covering for all the trim except for the canopy and turtle deck sections. I just figured it would be easier that way.
One thing I can tell you is that heat will warp the plastic coated foam if you're not careful. Some heat and gentle bending was able to remove any warps.
The canopy and hatch cover were painted with Testors Chrome paint and the turtledeck was painted with Lustre Kote Insignia Blue. I was hoping for a perfect color match and a nice glossy blue, but it dried semi-dull and not quite the same shade as the blue covering. Never the less, I went with it for now
The maiden will probably have to wait as the forecast calls for rain.

Hope you like what I did

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Last edited by ex-racr; Sep 24, 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: had to add a pic.
to remove ads between posts