HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2011, 12:40 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,438 Posts
Alert
Hyperion DS09 Quality Control

I have 2 Hyperion DS09AMD's that are acting very strangely. 1 is brand new in the box, the other is 1 month old and installed in a top-drive setup. The later just started acting up today, after acting normal for 2 days of CASA and 3 other days of practice flying.

Essentially when I plug either of these servos into any receiver channel on any receiver, the just continuously rotate (360 degrees of rotation). The new one I am hopeful I can get a refund on, the one installed in the wing, well, its had the case cut so probably not. Very frustrating. For reference, both of these servos came from allerc.com, who are usually very good pricing, shipping and customer support wise (although I haven't had to deal with the later much).

-Sam
samc99us is online now Find More Posts by samc99us
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:06 PM
Thermal Sniffer
Clayton NC
Joined Jun 2005
413 Posts
No problems, I wonder if something is screwy with your TX?
How about reversed polarity?
Brady Baggs is offline Find More Posts by Brady Baggs
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
842 Posts
During the last 6 months I've seen at least four 09SCD servos go bad. Two were brand new out of the box, one was two weeks old, tested before being glued in the wing only to start its mischief after the wing was finished (two wing halves closed in the mold by a friend). The forth was fine for two months before losing its ability to center and just oscillated back and forward until I taped on it...it went out of the model and into the spare parts drawer.

I'm seriously considering alternatives...
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:27 PM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
Hey SAm ,
Exactly the same thing happened on me , the first time i tried the Hyperion , because of the hype , everyone praise them , and out of 2 new :i got one bad that was doing full circle also .

Tab were cut , but the shop was nice enough to send a new one

They sure are very good otherwise .
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,438 Posts
Brady,

I have two tx's and two FrSky modules, no real reason other than situations like this where I need to test things. I haven't gone so far as to bind the other Tx to my receivers, as I frankly don't see the need-other servos plugged into the same channel for long periods of time haven't experienced these issues. The fact that others have experienced the same problem indicates we all have messed up receivers/tx's, or the servos are bad. I'm going with the later.

I have 8 Hyperion DS09AMD's (yeah, $240's in servos) in the shop right now, 6 in wings, 2 are bad. Hopefully the shop refunds me for them, it is very frustrating to see this on otherwise such high quality hardware.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
Thermal Sniffer
Clayton NC
Joined Jun 2005
413 Posts
It sounds like there is a manufacturer defect in progress. The ones I have are over year and a half old. I would call them and try to get a full refund.
Glad I put D60 in the twister RDS. I just had on hand at the time.
Brady Baggs is offline Find More Posts by Brady Baggs
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined May 2010
326 Posts
Hi,

Although you'll see what i have taken Video of, i am still buying the SCD09 for my DLG's wings, since no other alternative is right now.

Hyperion DS 09SCD Malfunction (0 min 9 sec)

Hyperion SCD09 Servo Problem (0 min 19 sec)

I'll have to say that even tough some of the servos QC isn't top notch, it is very clear to me to make the servos a hard test before i install them in the wing.
I am just giving them my TX servo test for a 10 minute time then evaluate them.

I buy all my SCD's from the Japanese site aircraft-world.com and i'd say that the service were beyond excellent thank to Brian that always replace the broken servo with a new one.

I know that in electronics equipments some times things should happens, and we can't escape it no matter which company it came from, but what's matter for me is the service of the person who sold me the item.
Beetle-Jet is offline Find More Posts by Beetle-Jet
Last edited by Beetle-Jet; Sep 24, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 05:49 PM
Ivan MacKenzie
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
584 Posts
I had two new ones earlier this year do exactly the same thing. Out of an order of about 8 servos, two were bad. Not good. Pressing on the sides of the case and/or pushing down on the output shaft would aggravate this behaviour.

Ivan MacKenzie.
imack is online now Find More Posts by imack
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:23 PM
99 problems but DLG ain't 1
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
476 Posts
The last time I bought 4 DS09SCD servos (this summer) I had 1 bad out of the box. I was lucky I caught it before installation.

First B2 that I built, I installed two D60s in the wings, one turned out to be bad, now I am a firm believer in more thorough checking of gear before installation.

Scrib
Scrib is online now Find More Posts by Scrib
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:51 PM
yes my thermal gogles are on
Ocala,Fla
Joined Jan 2009
335 Posts
if you put that 360 roatating servo on the elevator it could make your dlg look like a beautiful dolphin ( porpoise) in the air
Roy!! is offline Find More Posts by Roy!!
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:59 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,711 Posts
Bad runs of servos happen. I just checked all 8 DS09SCDs in my basement and all are fine. I guess I was lucky. I did however have a batch of a dozen DS285s a couple of years ago that had 4 DOAs in it. I also heard of a couple of euromoldies with bad hyperions molded inside

Moral of the story... always, ALWAYS test your components before you install. You have to center them up anyhow, right?
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:25 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,110 Posts
Bad servos do happen all the time, we had 1 tested bad before moulding into the wings just a little while ago, good thing the manufacturer is nice enough to replace it.
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,438 Posts
Beetle, I'm seeing exactly those same symptoms on my 2 servos. Very frustrating, I'm sure my shop will take one back, the other I'm not so sure and $30 isn't exactly a cheap servo.

I definitely check all my servos before going to through the trouble of installing them in a full top-drive setup, which is very time consuming and painful, fortunately my installation method is designed for easy servo replacement (30 minute project including wiring).
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
Frequent non-flier
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2007
39 Posts
Guess I've been lucky so far.

They do offer a pretty generous return policy for both defects in workmanship (Warranty)and damage (Non-Warranty) issues.
FLA - Zman is offline Find More Posts by FLA - Zman
Old Sep 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,720 Posts
If you feel wary of the Hyperions try the Airtronics 94802. Same case as the DS09 but different and I feel better electronics. I sell both brands so look me up next time you need anything.

Mark Miller
Isthmus Models
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller