HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:58 AM
Engine History in Pictures
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Data
Large Scale Engines

Hi, Folks

By way of introduction (I'm a newbee here) I publish a newsletter type mag called the Engine Collectors' Journal. The main thrust of ECJ and my "thing" in this hobby is History. From the beginning, almost 50 years ago now, I/we have been trying to record the history and development of the model engine. There have been many obscure makes of model engines since their beginnings in the late 1920's. Lots of fun tracking these down. Lots of fun finding examples to photograph, too. And occasionally land one for my collection.

While gas models have been around for a very long time, the Large Scale types seem to have really taken off in the late 1970's. I have recently woken (?) up to the fact these early engines are now approaching 40 years old. It is, as a really big part of model airplanes, time to record the early and even current development of these mighty engines. I have done a similar project on the "little" engines and published the results up to around 1975. In working on a possible revision, bringing the record up to present, I find these brutes should be included. If anyone would like to get involved in this project I would like to hear from you.

I can publish on this site (I think) listings that I have developed so far. I have been dependent on magazine ads for photos so would like to find some examples of big engines for inclusion. Let me know if this is of interest to any of you.

Tim Dannels - Engmag
Engmag is offline Find More Posts by Engmag
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:43 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,759 Posts
You need to visit the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) Headquarters in Muncie, Indiana and walk through the Museum you will find everything you are lookig for.They have the full history of the hobby from it start to present day , here is a link to the Museum info page check out the pics.http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/museuminfo.aspx
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Sep 25, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm well aware of the AMA and their handling of such things as history. Did you happen to see the abortion they printed in their 75th Anniversary rag? I have been to their museum and have tried to get their attention about errors in their displays, but got no response. They have very little interest in accuracy of recorded history. Sorry if this sounds negative, but aside from a few magazine ads, they have very little to offer in the way of serious research. I've tried many times.

As soon as I figure out how to post pictures, I'll show the type of material I am trying to assemble.

Tim - Engmag
Last edited by Engmag; Sep 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 04:54 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
cap231ex

Sorry if I came on a bit strong in my last post. The AMA Museum is definatly an interesting and educational place to visit. Just not so much for specific research on a given subject. Been there almost yearly for the last 10 years (from the Rockies!) so know my way around.

I'm going to try and post a .pdf file here so you can see the type of info I am trying to assemble. It is desirable to use pictures of actual engines rather than ads. The clearer the better. The end goal is to let an engine owner know just what he has if he wants to sell or trade it or just keep it. Another post here lists Quadra engines for sale. Apparently none of them are Quadras. Let's see if this post works......

Engmag
Old Sep 28, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Jul 2011
11 Posts
Great to see someone doing org research. Tks keep the hobby going!!!
melisa is offline Find More Posts by melisa