SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2011, 04:27 AM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,376 Posts
Question
Please recommend a fixed pitch heli

Hi,

I'm not new to heli's, planes nor quadcopters but am pretty unfamiliar with which FP heli's are decent quality. I'm looking for an easy to fly FP heli with hopefully the following attributes.

-Brushless (definitely set on brushless as stock; no brushless conversions please)
-Basic 45 degree flybar setup with auto-leveling tendencies
-Can handle some wind
-About 12 to 17" in length
-Replacement parts are cheap and primarily made of plastic
-Lightweight with low head speed (i.e. quiet)
-Simple mechanical plastic swashplate FP setup
-Can use my own radio and receiver
-Canopy and blades that don't cost an arm+leg (I plan on breaking a lot of both)
-$100 range?

Essentially something simple that can be flown from a lounge chair without a lot of concentration and is forgiving on light crashes. The Walkera CB180Z looks nice but I wish they made one w/o a radio and I could use mine.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Sep 24, 2011 at 04:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:18 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
961 Posts
Your attribute list is too selective for existing helis.

The closest you are probably going to get is the CB180Z you mentioned, there is nothing stopping you from selling the radio/receiver and plugging in your own setup, most people dont like the 3-axis gyro with the 45 degree flybar anyways.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Sep 24, 2011, 08:27 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
I didn't like the flybar/gyro on my CB180Z, so I removed it. Flys much nicer now.
macleonard127 is offline Find More Posts by macleonard127
Old Sep 24, 2011, 11:40 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patricklupo View Post
Hi,

I'm not new to heli's, planes nor quadcopters but am pretty unfamiliar with which FP heli's are decent quality. I'm looking for an easy to fly FP heli with hopefully the following attributes.

-Brushless (definitely set on brushless as stock; no brushless conversions please)
-Basic 45 degree flybar setup with auto-leveling tendencies
-Can handle some wind
-About 12 to 17" in length
-Replacement parts are cheap and primarily made of plastic
-Lightweight with low head speed (i.e. quiet)
-Simple mechanical plastic swashplate FP setup
-Can use my own radio and receiver
-Canopy and blades that don't cost an arm+leg (I plan on breaking a lot of both)
-$100 range?

Essentially something simple that can be flown from a lounge chair without a lot of concentration and is forgiving on light crashes. The Walkera CB180Z looks nice but I wish they made one w/o a radio and I could use mine.
A second hand Hirobo Quark. Check the classifieds there is at least one there now, it does everything you are asking for.
Well except for the radio, it is a FM radio set... and unique but worth it.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Last edited by Pontiaddict; Sep 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:54 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2009
1,376 Posts
Thanks very much. After looking at what's out there, I realized that my criteria was too specific as well. Thanks for the tip on the 3D gyro and 45 flybar. The quark looked interesting but foam blades and parts availability looked like a challenge.

It looks like if I want something very light and simple, I'll need to go with a brushed setup. And if I want brushless then it'll mean a heli with more complex and heavier metal head/tail assembly. Maybe a Nine Eagles Kestrel 500SX or CB180Z or Walkera UFLYS.
patricklupo is offline Find More Posts by patricklupo
Last edited by patricklupo; Sep 24, 2011 at 02:25 PM.