HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Discussion
Home Depot Giant Foamie Sea Dart

11/4/2011 This update is to point you to the plans which are in posts #11 (my pencil) and #15 (Bob's PDF). There are some great videos in post #7. If you look at one video, look at the first one in post #7. Best.

My first and favorite Giant Foamie is my Sea Dart. I am amazed at how well it flys and handles both ground and water operations. It weighs 3#14oz and has a 43" wingspan and just fits in the trunk of the car. During water ops the top stays bone dry and has no tendancy to tip over. It is constructed out of mostly Home Depot material with the exception of the carbon spar. If I built it today I would just use 3/8"x3/8" hardwood from HD for a buck. The plane is built to scaled up plans by Marcel du Plessis and are available on parkjets.com. Just blow the plans up to a 43" wingspan and read the photo captions for structure additions to complement the 1/2" R-TECH foam. The power system is the same one I use on all my large foamies, Scorpion 3026-10 980kv, APC 10x7 or Master Airscrew 10x7x3 prop, 60 amp esc and 4s5000mah battery. If you have questions I will be glad to address them. This is a fun and fully aerobatic seaplane with no bad habits. The following video shows my little 7 oz Sea Dart and the big one. It was the 1st and 2nd flight on water and 3rd and 4th overall for the big one. The performance of the little one is what inspired the big one. Best.

RC foamie Sea Darts (mini and Home Depot giant) flown by Otto Dieffenbach (4 min 45 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 04, 2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Point to location of plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:15 PM
Registered DLG addict
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2009
1,080 Posts
Awsome i love it, how do you turn out so many planes so fast?
NighthawkF-117 is offline Find More Posts by NighthawkF-117
Old Sep 23, 2011, 11:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NighthawkF-117 View Post
Awsome i love it, how do you turn out so many planes so fast?
Well, the Sea Dart has been around for a few months. This build technique is quick, about 20 hours an airframe and the results have been outstanding.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 02:28 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2006
505 Posts
Are there plans for the sea dart?
trroadster is offline Find More Posts by trroadster
Old Sep 27, 2011, 03:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Sea Dart Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by trroadster View Post
Are there plans for the sea dart?
The basic Sea Dart plans are on parkjets.com and were done by Marcel du Plessis. His original Sea Dart is smaller and mine is 43" wingspan. I took his layouts and blew them up to the 43" span. I made some modifications that are described in the photos (in this thread) and are intended for building with R-TECH. Let me know what I can do to help, if you tackle this build. Best.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,158 Posts
That’s extremely COOL !!! Thanks Otto !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Oct 03, 2011, 11:40 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Sea Dart videos from last weekend

Two new videos.

Giant Foamie Home Depot Sea Dart at the Menifee Valley Flyers Float Fly by Otto Dieffenbach (6 min 59 sec)

Giant Sea Dart Flight 2 at the Menifee Valley Flyers Float Fly by Otto Dieffenbach (8 min 1 sec)
Old Oct 03, 2011, 12:06 PM
USAF Retired
Stockton, NY
Joined Jul 2001
506 Posts
Great video as always. I have the small one, every time I see yours I want to build the BIG guy.

Dennis
wing_man is offline Find More Posts by wing_man
Old Oct 03, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
You can always move your electronics from plane to plane. Start laminating more blue foam.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Mods to the original Sea Dart plans

The original Sea Dart plans by Marcel are available on parkjets.com. The planform is a direct blowup of the original and sized to fit in the trunck of my car; backseat armrest pass through opened for the nose. If you blow the plans up to 44 inches then you'll be my size. The foam I used is the Home Depot R-Tech 1/2" reinforced with dowel and carbon spar. Here are the mods I made:

1. 1/4" dowel leading edges; I would now use 5/16 since it gives an even better look.

2. Wingspar 0.2 carbon tube; I would now use 3/8" square hardwood.

3. Elevon hinge line 1/4x3/8 inch balsa both sides.

4. Laminated a piece of 1mm drawer lining plastic to the ski for strengh and durability.

5. Added ply/truss work under skid to mount wheels for pavement ops; not neccessary for water use.

6. Laminated 1/8" plywood to both sides of the vertical tail tying together the motor mount and wing spar.

7. 5/16" dowel on the leading edge of the tail tied into the 5/16" dowel on the rear, downwind side of the prop slot running from the leading edge dowel to the balsa hinge line.

8. The top electronics fairing on both sides of the fuse are 1/4 sections of wine foam shipping containers.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Nov 07, 2011 at 02:24 PM. Reason: error
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Plans/Layout for the Home Depot Sea Dart

Here are some drawings for the large Sea Dart. The only thing missing is the top left and right fairing to enclose the electronics. You can custom build something or find some foam wine shipping containers and glue/shape as I did. Did I mention this is a great plane and outstanding seaplane. My favorite water toy.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_man View Post
Great video as always. I have the small one, every time I see yours I want to build the BIG guy.

Dennis
I drew up some plans and just posted them. Do you want to create a PDF, blow them up and then tile? No rush, get that F-15 flown first.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 04:58 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,705 Posts
Otto,
I've grabbed the drawings and will try to CAD them shortly.
From that I can create a full sized PDF and post it here.

Thanx

bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Oct 20, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
I drew up some plans and just posted them. Do you want to create a PDF, blow them up and then tile? No rush, get that F-15 flown first.
Never mind... Bob has volunteered.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,705 Posts
Here is my PDF with vector embedded.

Comments welcome

Bob

EDIT:

Fix some issues pointed out by Otto.
REposted 10:30 pm
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Last edited by birdofplay; Oct 21, 2011 at 01:28 AM.