HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 08:29 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Discussion
Do 5c charge rate batteries charge over twice as fast as 2C's?

Been thinking about getting a higher amperage charger but my batteries are currently limited to 2C so I have been also looking at gen aces.

Does balancing the last 5% of the battery take the longest though? The 5C gets you up to this point faster but I have noticed my icharger drops the amps when it gets towards the end of its cycle.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2011, 01:02 AM
JustFlying
Joined Dec 2005
2,429 Posts
For the same good batteries like the GensACE, it all depends on the charger. Good batteries will not need much if any balancing so that does not take much time. I have seen chargers which will start at the current you set it, but as it the voltage goes up, the input current drop, and I am not talking about the CC-CV change over. (Constant Current - Constant Voltage) It is when it is supposed to still be in the CC phase when the current drops.

I don't know the iChargers, but the PL8 I am using charge at full set current until the battery reach 4.2v/cell where after it changeover to CV. You can set it to balance all the time or only in the CV phase.

The time it spend in the CV phase depend on the quality of the battery. A battery with a high IR will take longer to reach full charge after the changeover, meaning the CV phase will take longer.

So, to answer your heading question, for good batteries, yes.
rebell is offline Find More Posts by rebell
Last edited by rebell; Sep 24, 2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2011, 06:24 AM
BrainFart RC-Pilot
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,112 Posts
fast charge mode at the iCharger is a great feature!
Indeed the last few mAh takes long....and this avoids this. Saves allot time...even with 2C charge.

5C charge is indeed much faster...and in combination with 'fast charge mode' at your iCharger ......very fast
TreeDiver is online now Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:07 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,000 Posts
As i understand it the I Charger in Fast charge mode cuts off at 4.15v with no balancing or going into CV phase,therefore it's quick but safe.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Sep 24, 2011, 09:13 AM
Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
449 Posts
Not quite right

Fast charge simply terminates when current drops to 1/5c during the CV phase

Normal charge is 1/10c current termination

Can also select when to begin balancing when balance charging (always, storage or cv)

Cheers
crusey_aus is offline Find More Posts by crusey_aus