Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
While integrating the FrSky telemetry into the 9X screen is very cool, to my mind the DHT-U unit is both simpler and provides better usability since the screen ends up at the top of the Tx. Or if you prefer, the FLD-02 is also a good option. Neither of these require any modifications at all to the Tx and give you access to the telemetry features of the FrSky product family.
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:16 PM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
I was scratching my head looking at all the codes and attempting to mess with my Tx with no circuit soldering experience is a BIG NO NO for me. I'll have to stick with something plug n play.

Thanks for all the info n keep it coming!
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:39 PM
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Jun 2010
228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Crazy23 View Post
I was scratching my head looking at all the codes and attempting to mess with my Tx with no circuit soldering experience is a BIG NO NO for me. I'll have to stick with something plug n play.

Thanks for all the info n keep it coming!
If soldering scares you, then it will cost a little more. I flashed mine with an $8 programmer. For $40 there is an add on board that will give you a really nice usb plug in the radio, and a backlight. it's a great deal for $40 and it's customer's service is via this board. Check it out, it's called spartieparts, and has it's own thread on here. Also for FrSky modules, the DHT-U looks totally cool. If I were to use that I would connect the module to a servo plug so it could be plugged and unplugged in case you'd like to change out modules.
Kalikikopa is offline Find More Posts by Kalikikopa
Old Sep 27, 2011, 10:54 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
smartieparts: http://www.smartieparts.com/shop/ind...roducts_id=331
Old Sep 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
Joined Jun 2008
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
While integrating the FrSky telemetry into the 9X screen is very cool, to my mind the DHT-U unit is both simpler and provides better usability since the screen ends up at the top of the Tx. Or if you prefer, the FLD-02 is also a good option. Neither of these require any modifications at all to the Tx and give you access to the telemetry features of the FrSky product family.
Consider it again: If you set up some alert levels in the DHT-U and change the model which uses another alert level you have to enter them each and every time you change forth and back in between these models. Th DHT-U simply cannot store these values and if it could, still it would not know which model you selected.

DHT-U as it is now is on the loosing end here. The only way to overcome this would be to store config data set with FDD or DHT-U or anything else in the rx.

Greets

chris
seuchato is offline Find More Posts by seuchato
Last edited by seuchato; Sep 28, 2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typos
Old Sep 28, 2011, 06:41 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Good point.

I believe they have some enhancements on the way for the DHT-U, perhaps a set of model memories is amongst them? You would still need to remember to change models on the DHT-U as well as the Tx.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 08:37 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,552 Posts
rc crazy: I have a turnigy 9x radio with the smartieparts addon board. I like it a lot, but i'd have to say that it's a bit of a do-it-yourself kind of situation. That's not bad, just if you don't like tinkering, just want to fly, then it may not be for you. On the other hand, the smartieparts board goes in without soldering (uses pogo pins that touch on the correct traces of the main tx board) and it was an easy install. With this setup, you can reflash the firmware, load and save models to your pc (or just program them on the tx) and the new firmware adds incredible new capability to the tx, and it's easier to program than the original firmware to my mind. Also, the threads that deal with the tx, board, and other issues like telemetry are the most active ones on this forum, and have tons of info in them if you use the search function.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 07:24 PM
United States, IL, Glenview
Joined Sep 2011
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
rc crazy: I have a turnigy 9x radio with the smartieparts addon board. I like it a lot, but i'd have to say that it's a bit of a do-it-yourself kind of situation. That's not bad, just if you don't like tinkering, just want to fly, then it may not be for you. On the other hand, the smartieparts board goes in without soldering (uses pogo pins that touch on the correct traces of the main tx board) and it was an easy install. With this setup, you can reflash the firmware, load and save models to your pc (or just program them on the tx) and the new firmware adds incredible new capability to the tx, and it's easier to program than the original firmware to my mind. Also, the threads that deal with the tx, board, and other issues like telemetry are the most active ones on this forum, and have tons of info in them if you use the search function.
Thank you Springer and everyone else that has given me info. I have spent my early days of rcgroups on the plane I put together and didn't realize that there's a section on telemetry. This new addiction of mine has gotten me in ZOMBIE mode.

BTW I like your avatar Springer.
RC_Crazy23 is offline Find More Posts by RC_Crazy23
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:00 PM
United States, LA, Winnfield
Joined Jul 2011
249 Posts
Does anyone no what servo's will work with the rx?
Thanks
Tom
deadaim57 is offline Find More Posts by deadaim57
Old Oct 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Any modern servos will work with any modern Rx. Some servos (e.g. those from Futaba) have a thin key on the edge of the plug which can be easily trimmed off if it prevents the plug from seating properly.
Old Oct 15, 2011, 06:46 PM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Crazy23 View Post
Anyone using this radio? I'm considering changing out my stock Airfield radio with this one. It seems to be a steal for all the options that come with this $89.00 radio.
RC_...,

I don't have a lot of experience in RC, but I have many, many years of experience with electronics, so as a owner of a Hitec Aurora 9 and a FlySky TH-9X I can tell you that if you can live without ball bearing gimbals and touch screens, etc. - the FlySky/Turnigy Tx with a ER9X firmware and FrSky module is nothing to be ignored !

The ER9X firmware enables 95% of the functionality that Aurora has and the FrSky radio will failsafe your model like any other $500+ radio.

All depends on your skills. If you can add a Smartiboard ($45) and feel comfortable handling the soldering iron to install the FrSky module, you are big time in the game. If not, go for Aurora ( and you won't regret).

cheers,
Marian
MarLi is online now Find More Posts by MarLi
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Any modern servos will work with any modern Rx. Some servos (e.g. those from Futaba) have a thin key on the edge of the plug which can be easily trimmed off if it prevents the plug from seating properly.
O thanks for the info,I bought the radio and it will be here Monday.Also got 2 extra rx's.
Tom
Old Oct 15, 2011, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarLi View Post
RC_...,

I don't have a lot of experience in RC, but I have many, many years of experience with electronics, so as a owner of a Hitec Aurora 9 and a FlySky TH-9X I can tell you that if you can live without ball bearing gimbals and touch screens, etc. - the FlySky/Turnigy Tx with a ER9X firmware and FrSky module is nothing to be ignored !

The ER9X firmware enables 95% of the functionality that Aurora has and the FrSky radio will failsafe your model like any other $500+ radio.

All depends on your skills. If you can add a Smartiboard ($45) and feel comfortable handling the soldering iron to install the FrSky module, you are big time in the game. If not, go for Aurora ( and you won't regret).

cheers,
Marian
What is a smartiboard and where do ya get it?
Tom
Old Oct 16, 2011, 03:53 AM
United States, IN
Joined Jun 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadaim57 View Post
What is a smartiboard and where do ya get it?
Tom
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1338412
MarLi is online now Find More Posts by MarLi
Old Oct 16, 2011, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2011
249 Posts
Thanks